Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] My apologies to Harveys brewery

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
In the past on here I have had a right old pop at Harveys beer, partly to wind up Sussex folk and partly because I thought their best tasted like dishwater.
Truth is,I am not really a bitter drinker so I had no right to do so.
Anyway, I was in Sussex over the weekend and we popped into a racists pub called The Blackboys, asking what was on offer (outside service) I reluctantly went for Harveys IPA, it was magnificent and clearly well kept, as good as my favourite pints of Dartmoor Legend or Jail Ale and a good pint of the hit and miss Doom Bar.
So there we have it, Harveys is clearly a very good pint and I hang my head in shame.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I am just enjoying a bottle of Legend and I felt the need to tell the world that I was wrong and that I can enjoy ale brewed outside of Devon and Cornwall.

Referring to the beers in your original post, I've never tried Doom Bar while in the South West, I gather it tastes actively nice down there rather than entirely bland and generic as it's been whenever I've had it up this way.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Referring to the beers in your original post, I've never tried Doom Bar while in the South West, I gather it tastes actively nice down there rather than entirely bland and generic as it's been whenever I've had it up this way.

Down here it can be very hit and miss too.
Apparently its because the small Sharps brewery now makes so much of the stuff that if the barrel is stored outside ( it used to be all inside) then it is not the same, also not the easiest to keep either.
Bottled Doom Bar is not even brewed in Rock anymore.
Good Doom Bar is quite thick with a creamy head, not just a bit of fizz on the top.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Apparently its because the small Sharps brewery now makes so much of the stuff that if the barrel is stored outside ( it used to be all inside) then it is not the same, also not the easiest to keep either.
Good Doom Bar is quite thick with a creamy head, not just a bit of fizz on the top.

I'm pretty sure any beer worth drinking has this issue to some extent. I occasionally get Harvey's delivered to me in Sheffield and I'd say there's a 50/50 chance of me opening the first bottle in the box and thinking "best beer ever!" or "ah, never mind". I tend to get Abbeydale or Bradfield stuff now instead, although they don't do a good bitter. You can't even get half decent Black Sheep south of Leeds.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
In the past on here I have had a right old pop at Harveys beer, partly to wind up Sussex folk and partly because I thought their best tasted like dishwater.
Anyway, I was in Sussex over the weekend and we popped into a racists pub called The Blackboys, asking what was on offer (outside service) I reluctantly went for Harveys IPA, it was magnificent and clearly well kept, as good as my favourite pints of Dartmoor Legend or Jail Ale and a good pint of the hit and miss Doom Bar.
So there we have it, Harveys is clearly a very good pint and I hang my head in shame.

I was there on Friday :thumbsup: Very anti white in there.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I lived in Canada for 4 years. I had been out of the country for two, drinking Okanagon cider as the 'beer' was so shit. A colleague brought back a small barrel of Harveys one fine day in 1984. That taste will live with me forever. England. Sussex. Home :ohmy::cry::cheery::love::love::love:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I lived in Canada for 4 years. I had been out of the country for two, drinking Okanagon cider as the 'beer' was so shit. A colleague brought back a small barrel of Harveys one fine day in 1984. That taste will live with me forever. England. Sussex. Home :ohmy::cry::cheery::love::love::love:

Said the man who moved to the home of Shepherd Neame ! :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Said the man who moved to the home of Shepherd Neame ! :lolol:

That was coincidence.

When the wind is in the right direction I can smell the mash though :love:

spitfire gold.jpg

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK

It was and still is called Blackboys because it was named after the lads who worked In the charcoal industries of Wealden Sussex. Not racist, just black with charcoal dust.

TNBA

TTF

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Having worked previously worked for Molson Coors who own Sharps Brewery I will correct you that there is no way on earth it is stored outside. Added to that it is one of the easiest ale to keep on the market. The second fermentation is very short. It is now brewed that many of the proteins are removed allowing it to be chilled down without getting a chill haze.

The success of DoomBar is that it so easy to keep.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I worked at the Blackboys when the legendary Patrick was the Landlord, so many stories of that wonderful eccentric. Harveys is a bloody good beer, I would go so far as to say it is one of the best in the country, so much so I brew my own clone here in Aus.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I worked at the Blackboys when the legendary Patrick was the Landlord, so many stories of that wonderful eccentric. Harveys is a bloody good beer, I would go so far as to say it is one of the best in the country, so much so I brew my own clone here in Aus.

Lacking the yeast:(

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I wouldn't know having not been in one for years, horrid places (snob)

It's the carpets isn't it :mad:

Seriously though, they're basically for students/graduates and old people who want cheap beer at 8am. Since until recently I was a student/graduate with the mind of an old person they're right up my alley.

The beer's normally fine, they generally serve some vaguely interesting "local" stuff. I've had Doom Bar a few times when a cider drinking friend's been ordering for me and panicked, and I simply can't remember anything about it. It's a brown liquid, I think?

Yet I'm told by people who've had it in Cornwall that it's the bee's knees. I normally drink Tribute when I'm down that sort of way anyway. I daresay somebody will insist that that's the wrong Cornish beer.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
What's happened here is, you got old mate.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Having worked previously worked for Molson Coors who own Sharps Brewery I will correct you that there is no way on earth it is stored outside. Added to that it is one of the easiest ale to keep on the market. The second fermentation is very short. It is now brewed that many of the proteins are removed allowing it to be chilled down without getting a chill haze.

The success of DoomBar is that it so easy to keep.

that implies its supposed to taste like it does. only had draft a few times, as noted variable, ranging from meh to unpleasant. ok bottled but last choice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here