Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Covid contract for firm run by Cummings friends was unlawful, judge rules.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Interesting to see it reported as 'Gove giving contract to Cumming's friend' in several reports. Where one of them noted they were friends of Gove as well.

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
What does the word ‘unlawful’ really mean - appreciate answers, genuinely don’t understand it -

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
What does the word ‘unlawful’ really mean - appreciate answers, genuinely don’t understand it -

Illegal is specifically in violation of a law - unlawful is going against a law. Or something like that. Basically semantics.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not a surprise, acting " Unlawfully " or breaking the Ministerial Code counts for nothing these days. The general populace has been trained not to care.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Not a surprise, acting " Unlawfully " or breaking the Ministerial Code counts for nothing these days. The general populace has been trained not to care.

It's about time for a revolution. An idiot cull would be good too.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
As I mentioned elsewhere. Gove is having a bad week in the courts. Yesterday in an unrelated case brought against him, his department was found guilty of suppressing FOI requests without just cause. Gove's no good, very bad, horrible week, down the Strand.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Yep still struggling there buddy!

Think that is the point. Illegal is definitely against the law as defined by the wording of the law. Unlawful is not complying with a law. Maybe a bit like manslaughter and murder I guess but not really. They essentially mean the same thing - just one has a bit of a nice sound. In Toryland, oiks break the law and posh people are unlawful.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Barely causing a ripple anywhere. Brain-washed Brexit-Britain.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
My understanding is that illegal means going against a law in place, but unlawful is performing an act where there is no law in place to allow it.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Think that is the point. Illegal is definitely against the law as defined by the wording of the law. Unlawful is not complying with a law. Maybe a bit like manslaughter and murder I guess but not really. They essentially mean the same thing - just one has a bit of a nice sound. In Toryland, oiks break the law and posh people are unlawful.

My understanding is that illegal is against the law, whereas unlawful is against a set of rules.

So my stating that the awarding of the contract was unlawful it broke a set of rules, no doubt there are written rules for the awarding of Government contracts, which were not adhered to.
The problem is that with Johnson in charge nothing will happen, and the people that broke the rules won't have the moral standing to resign.

So yet again sleaze carries on and nothing happens.

No doubt Johnson will just say that the public aren't interested in this and just want us to get on beating covid and building back better, and anyway the public voted for us in the local elections just the other day so we are doing what the public wants,

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Let's be honest, nobody cares, the British public seemingly don't care about corruption among our elected officials anymore. If anything this kind of shit probably makes them more popular.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
In broken Brexit Britain this sort of stuff now seems acceptable.

Move along everyone there's nothing to see, now look over there, someone is yelling at a slave statue, release the hounds....

Last edited:

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
And spec savers Cummings said to the select-committee that he had no problem riding roughshod over what he considers arcane procurement procedures at a time of national emergency. Says more about the fact that he probably had a Malcolm Tucker rant at Gove about “Comms” and Hey presto their favoured PR agency is on board…

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Let's be honest, nobody cares, the British public seemingly don't care about corruption among our elected officials anymore. If anything this kind of shit probably makes them more popular.

Yet Keir Starmer gets lambasted for taking the knee and knicknamed Smarmer & Captain Hindsight for his opposition to such corruption. It really, really does not make sense. No wonder people are tired of politics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here