Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Your England XI vs Croatia

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
With England's match against Croatia rapidly approaching, which 10 lesser mortals would you pick to accompany our Ben on Sunday?

I'm enjoying the fact that Sky haven't yet found the time to ask the work experience kid in the graphics to give Ben a 3 Lions badge :)

Not much in it for either wingback berth for me and Bellingham can count himself unlucky not to squeeze in. I found it harder than I thought (it would be easier with the choice of Dunk & Webby at the back of course).

If you pulled on Southgate's magic waistcoat, who would start for YOU?!

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/19692/12316693/pick-your-england-xi-for-opening-euro-game

Attachments

• Croatia_XI.jpg
    Croatia_XI.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 372

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Jack must start, I'd go with Kane and then Sterling, Jack and Rashford behind him. In the centre of defence it's got to be Mings and Stones for me.

.................Pickford
Walker, Mings, Stones, Shaw
.......Henderson, Rice
..Sterling, Jack, Rashford
...........Kane

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
This is what I'd pick, not what I think will be picked;

Henderson

Trippier
White
Stones
Shaw

Henderson
Phillips

Sancho
Mount
Foden

Kane

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Jack must start, I'd go with Kane and then Sterling, Jack and Rashford behind him. In the centre of defence it's got to be Mings and Stones for me.

.................Pickford
Walker, Mings, Stones, Shaw
.......Henderson, Rice
..Sterling, Jack, Rashford
...........Kane

Mings??! Wow! Did you see him on Sunday?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Trying to pick a team really highlights how wrong Southgate has got his defensive picks. I want to play 4-3-3 but that entails one of playing Mings, who we all know is a liability, playing Shaw as a central defender or playing one of the right sided centre halves on the left.

None of those options are ideal. The only way we can get a balanced defense is by playing three at the back but if we do that we have to give up one of our attacking and ball retaining players. If we play 3-4-3 we will end up with Rice and Phillips as the two central midfielders. There's not a huge amount of creativity there so we'll probably end up playing on the counter so that will mean at least one of Sterling and Rashford starting. Both are excellent players on their day but they're not currently on their day.

Maybe we can play 3-5-2 allowing one of Mount/Foden/Grealish to play in the middle. It'll still probably entail Sterling or Rashford partnering Kane.

If we had a proper, decent left sided centre half we wouldn't have to worry about any of this we could play a 4-3-3 with Rice plus two from Phillips, Mount, Foden, Grealish and have a front three of Kane plus Sterling or Rashford for the pace and one of Sancho and whoever doesn't get into the midfield three. Something like:

Rice, Mount, Foden
Rashford, Kane, Grealish

With Bellingham, Sancho, Sterling, Calvert-Lewin as potential game changing options of the bench.

What I think we'll get is:

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Mings

Trippier
Rice
Phillips
Chilwell

Mount
Kane
Sterling

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Everyone keeps picking Foden, Mount and Grealish. Never going to happen, especially with Kane's propensity to drop deep - it would be a disaster. 3 number 10s all stepping on each other's toes, with a striker also in their way.

You need pace running in behind, so one of Sterling, Rashford or Sancho has to start.

I would probably go Sterling - criminally underrated in an England shirt, has a very good understanding with Kane. The good thing is we have such depth of quality attacking options that we can freshen it up in practically every game.

Pickford

James
White
Stone
Chilwell

Rice
Bellingham

Sterling
Mount
Foden

Kane

With Grealish and Sancho/Rashford to come on if needed. Then Grealish probably to start the next game in Mount's spot, etc and so on.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
What I would pick:

-------------------Pickford------------------------
---James-----White----Stones------Shaw----
-------------Rice-----------Mount----------------
------Grealish-----Foden-----Sancho---------
----------------------Kane-------------------------

What he will pick:

-------------------Pickford------------------
---------Coady-----Stones-----Mings--------
--Walker---------------------------------Shaw--
----------------Rice-----Phillips-----------------
------------Mount-------------------Rashford--
----------------------Kane------------------------

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
What I'd pick:
----------Pickford-------------
-------White----------Stones-----------Coady
Trippier-----Mount------Rice-----------Chilwell
Grealish------Kane-----------Foden

What I think he'll pick:

----------Pickford-------------
-------Walker----------Stones-----------Coady
Trippier-----Mount------Rice-----------Chilwell
Sterling------Kane-----------Rashford

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Number one is Ben White, number two is Ben White etc etc ..............................Whitey Wonderland

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
4-2-3-1

Pickford or Henderson (both similar quality for me)

Shaw
Stones
Maguire (or White if not fit)
Walker

Bellingham
Rice

Foden
Grealish
Mount

Kane

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here