This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You were right, yet again.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Swansman View Post
      Plenty of clubs got great academies and talent scouting but not all of them got managers willing to give these players a chance. In Swansea they had had a category 1 academy for several years when Potter came, but not really used it at all. One year with Potter and about 10 players had established themselves in the first team squad with James, McBurnie and Rodon bringing in £50m to the club as well as saving money on not having to sign a bunch of players to replace the outgoings all the time.

In Östersund they had no real academy but scouted a lot of young players. GP spent about a total of £1m in transfers over there, later selling those players for a total of £10m.

In both cases while having his clubs perform to or above expectations. Little indicates that it will be much different with Brighton. Yes, the club has spent some money but the increase in squad value is a lot more than the spenditure. The £85m or so spent over the last two seasons will likely pay itself back just through sales of Bissouma and White. And if that happens there's still Sanchez, Lamptey, Webster and so on that would turn it into a profit.

Of course this is going to be very tempting for a lot of clubs to get that kind of economical value out of a manager while still keeping its ground or even advancing results wise. Far too many managers are afraid of the mistakes that young players are inevitably going to do and just keep buying players instead but I think more and more owners - even the very rich ones - is getting a bit tired of spending lots of money on what often turns out to be random value. Especially as income in football from TV deals, competitions and commerce looks like its close to have reached some sort of ceiling.
      I don't know about Swansea and Ostersund but what is happening now with the academy and transfers is what we have been working towards for years. I'm sure Potter is a vital cog in the process but I'm sure Ashworth Barber and Bloom are equally as important. We are very lucky to have the 4 of them, as in this aspect of the club all seems well at the moment.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
      If it happened next season I’m not convinced. If we’d gone down this season I agree
      Tony Bloom has already stated we need to start moving forward. Relegation is not moving forward.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by andy1980 View Post
      I don't know about Swansea and Ostersund but what is happening now with the academy and transfers is what we have been working towards for years. I'm sure Potter is a vital cog in the process but I'm sure Ashworth Barber and Bloom are equally as important. We are very lucky to have the 4 of them, as in this aspect of the club all seems well at the moment.
      Spot on.......Potter is an important cog in the wheel but could be replaced if he did leave. Ashworth would be much more difficult I suspect given his background and whilst Barber is a top CEO, again he could be replaced without too much impact on the academy/production line and strategic direction on the field. Not going to comment on whether Tony could be replaced........
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dazzer6666 View Post
      Spot on.......Potter is an important cog in the wheel but could be replaced if he did leave. Ashworth would be much more difficult I suspect given his background and whilst Barber is a top CEO, again he could be replaced without too much impact on the academy/production line and strategic direction on the field. Not going to comment on whether Tony could be replaced........
      Even I could be Blooms replacement, hes that replaceable

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by andy1980 View Post
      Even I could be Blooms replacement, hes that replaceable
      Excellent, a new contender for ‘Richest poster on NSC’
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dazzer6666 View Post
      Excellent, a new contender for ‘Richest poster on NSC’
      You wouldn't believe it even if I told you

0 Not allowed!
      ‘Potter Watch’ reversed = What a Poch? Surely means Poch will be back at Spurs long before GraPott is seriously considered.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
      Hehe

He has a very secure job here, with an infrastructure built to support him. He has young talent on tap coming through from our Academy. One of the best chairman in the league who backs him and believes in him. And I genuinely think, unless untenable, if we were relegated Tony would still back him to bring us up. GP has also spoken lately about how carefully he now chooses his jobs and that he’s “connected to the chairman on a philosophical level”.

I don’t think he’d jack all this in yet, for a club where 1 bad season and you’re out. One day he will leave but for a much bigger opportunity.

Conversely I think we should have more confidence in our club. We’re an incredible fit for him as well.
      This. He has a job to do and the support to do it. Then once he has achieved the goals maybe he will go for the high rollers, but I doubt it, as he doesn't seem to be excessively ego driven. Certainly his pay packet will need to be fattened.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Albumen View Post
      I’m currently calm. Nuno to Everton, some french or Italian to Spurs. Done.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      The true measure of any society can be found in how it treats its most vulnerable members. Mahatma Gandhi