Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter watch

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Beaky being bold by appointing a younger manager. Fair play.

It looks like he has never stayed anywhere for more than 4 years but it does look like he builds teams up. I think it will be a really good appointment for them, I just hope Parish and Freedman muck up the recruitment of players. They may have stumbled onto the best manager they could have got.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Any body that says there are no replacement for Potter are about to be shocked. Palace are about to appoint one.A manager who brings youth through and plays decent football, Just like Potter before he came here he has never had a job with less than a 40% win rate. So anyone that says there are no Potteresque managers out there, Palace have found one.

Bold statement, time is the only thing that will tell. First hurdle is actually getting pen to paper. I confess I will be shocked if Palace are playing like us next season. I have been wrong more times in my life than I can count though.

Managing decent teams in Europe is likely to be much easier than managing a PL team that needs a complete rebuild.

As I say, we will see but Palace do have a history of managing enough points every season, so no way am I going to say this won’t work, I just hope it doesn’t

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Any body that says there are no replacement for Potter are about to be shocked. Palace are about to appoint one.A manager who brings youth through and plays decent football, Just like Potter before he came here he has never had a job with less than a 40% win rate. So anyone that says there are no Potteresque managers out there, Palace have found one.

They had one of those before ... and sacked him after six games.
To change a team's playing style takes time, certainly more than six games.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Bold statement, time is the only thing that will tell. First hurdle is actually getting pen to paper. I confess I will be shocked if Palace are playing like us next season. I have been wrong more times in my life than I can count though.

Managing decent teams in Europe is likely to be much easier than managing a PL team that needs a complete rebuild.

As I say, we will see but Palace do have a history of managing enough points every season, so no way am I going to say this won’t work, I just hope it doesn’t

I think the safest thing to do is acknowledge that Palace are destined for greatness now. Next season they will be fighting to finish top 6 and we will forever be put in our place. The season after we will be green with envy as we see them go on a run in Europe while we pray not to get relegated to the third tier.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009

Its not bold. Look at his history its full of bringing youth through, and playing decent football. I hope Palace are the exception but on paper he is similar to Potter, but with more experence. The point I was trying to make was that there arePotteresque managers out there.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Its not bold. Look at his history its full of bringing youth through, and playing decent football. I hope Palace are the exception but on paper he is similar to Potter, but with more experence. The point I was trying to make was that there arePotteresque managers out there.

Let's hope we have got one lined up then.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I really don’t know why Levy doesn’t give the job to Klinsmann. He clearly loves the club, should get reasonable time from the fans who loved him as a player.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I know nothing about him except his good stats at decent clubs, Palace are not really a decent successful club are they, but I bow to your superior knowledge if you’ve spent the last few years watching his teams

I’ll watch with interest as Palace sign up PL ready youngsters and rebuild virtually from scratch and take the league by storm then :smile:

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I know nothing about him except his good stats at decent clubs, Palace are not really a decent successful club are they, but I bow to your superior knowledge if you’ve spent the last few years watching his teams

I’ll watch with interest as Palace sign up PL ready youngsters and rebuild virtually from scratch and take the league by storm then :smile:

I never heard of him before this. He has managed teams less glamorous than palace in his early years if you look into it. I'm not saying they are going to storm the league. I am saying he is potteresque and Potter hasn't stormed the league

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Favre wont have a 40% win rate in Crystal Palace. But its probably a good choice (unless someone steals him in the last moment), very hit or miss though and I dont think he has ever managed a team as comparably weak to the rest of the league. Next season will be critical to them, it could either be the start of something nice or it could end up in relegation. Much comes down to the transfer window, of course.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I wonder if Favre knows what he has come to. Palace have the oldest team in the league, the worst ground in the league ,disinterested owners and probably big relegation candidates and the star player wants out. Mind you they did a number on us last season.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I wonder if Favre knows what he has come to. Palace have the oldest team in the league, the worst ground in the league ,disinterested owners and probably big relegation candidates and the star player wants out. Mind you they did a number on us last season.

Are their owners disinterested ? Parrish always seems pretty passionate about the club and they have spent a lot of money in recent years.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

I'm not so sure he's that great an appointment. Whilst his sides play attractive, attacking football, they have been found wanting from an organisation and defensive point of view even with players of a superior quality to Palace's. He ultimately failed at Dortmund and his last few months were a bit of a disaster, he became a bit of a joke.

This is a big risk for Palace. He is 63 so not that young, has no experience of this league in all his years in football and in my opinion is on his way down, not up like Potter.

He is the polar opposite of Roy Hodgson and they will need a major squad overhaul for this to work. Have they got the funds and recruitment ability to do that?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I'm not so sure he's that great an appointment. Whilst his sides play attractive, attacking football, they have been found wanting from an organisation and defensive point of view even with players of a superior quality to Palace's. He ultimately failed at Dortmund and his last few months were a bit of a disaster, he became a bit of a joke.

This is a big risk for Palace. He is 63 so not that young, has no experience of this league in all his years in football and in my opinion is on his way down, not up like Potter.

He is the polar opposite of Roy Hodgson and they will need a major squad overhaul for this to work. Have they got the funds and recruitment ability to do that?
Really ? I think he's very adaptable. Seems like a very very good manager to me ..... and is more known for defensive solidity with counter attacking football.

The 2014–15 Bundesliga season was Favre's most successful season to date, with Gladbach finishing in third place and directly qualifying for the 2015–16 UEFA Champions League group stage.[32] Favre's side were defensively brilliant and their passing style of play saw them record several notable victories, including a 2–0 away win against Bayern Munich[33] and a comprehensive 3–0 victory at home to Bayer Leverkusen[33] that ultimately sealed their qualification to the Champions League.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

If Dan Ashworth is doing his job properly, he will have a comprehensive list of suitable coaches we would approach should Potter leave.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012

With a win rate of 49% in nearly 800 league matches, and 27 years managing, shouldn’t you be referring to Potter as a Favresque type manager ?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
With a win rate of 49% in nearly 800 league matches, and 27 years managing, shouldn’t you be referring to Potter as a Favresque type manager ?

Has anyone actually watched a game of a team he was managing? There’s an awful lot of hot air being spouted on internet stats with no visual knowledge that I am aware of.

Where does it say that his teams play like the Albion or City?

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Interesting to look at the odds on managers at present;
Favre is odds on to Palace, but has been for a while. Wonder why it’s taken so long to get over the line? Work permit possibly but surely this is a formality?
Spurs; Potter odds fading marginally whereas Nuno and Gerrard’s odds shortening. Spurs don’t seem interested at all in Favre, when they’ve approached many others. Is it because they know it’s a done deal to Palace? Will there be another twist or two?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here