NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
GettyImages-826469180-1160x773.jpg

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Is NSC backed by Putin, maybe PPF is Putin ?

anyway, we seem to be safe for now.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yup. Is good stuff, highlights the issues with the centralisation of internet and creating a society where we are dependent on digital horseshit.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
A number of leading websites are currently not working, including Amazon, Reddit and Twitch.

The UK government website - gov.uk - is also down as is parts of the BBC and a host of other media outlets.

Affected websites displayed the message: "Error 503 Service Unavailable".

Early reports suggested it could be related to Fastly, a cloud computing provider, which underpins a lot of major websites.

Fastly said it was investigating problems with its content delivery network.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I have it on authority that the issue is they have run out of 50p pieces for the meter - Sam the intern has been sent to the corner shop to get some change.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Couldn't get on to Barclays for the business account this morning. A Europe-wide problem apparently, and its still down.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have it on authority that the issue is they have run out of 50p pieces for the meter - Sam the intern has been sent to the corner shop to get some change.

That takes me back to my youth and the search for shillings for the electricity meter in my bedsit. Did I think ahead on a cold winter’s evening and make sure I had enough, did I feck :rolleyes:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
That takes me back to my youth and the search for shillings for the electricity meter in my bedsit. Did I think ahead on a cold winter’s evening and make sure I had enough, did I feck :rolleyes:

you just popped to the nearest telephone box with a knitting needle ddidn't you? :laugh:

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Yup. Is good stuff, highlights the issues with the centralisation of internet and creating a society where we are dependent on digital horseshit.

This is spot on. Technology is actually a few years behind where the general public think it is. So things go wrong and you get the "In this day and age....." comments. A lot of quite complex internet based sites, processes etc although look quite stable are actually held together by hope, and a spotty teenager and a very old base programme that has been updated so often its like a patchwork quilt!. When you add in that a lot of traffic is all routed through a relatively small infrastructure, and reliant on a few big data centres its a recipe for disaster.

I am always surprised the whole thing doesn't come crashing down around our ears more often.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Wonder how many 9s Fastly have on their SLAs. Might get expensive.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
you just popped to the nearest telephone box with a knitting needle ddidn't you? :laugh:

No I went and stripped lead off church roofs and sold it to a rag and bone man :wink:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
This is spot on. Technology is actually a few years behind where the general public think it is. So things go wrong and you get the "In this day and age....." comments. A lot of quite complex internet based sites, processes etc although look quite stable are actually held together by hope, and a spotty teenager and a very old base programme that has been updated so often its like a patchwork quilt!. When you add in that a lot of traffic is all routed through a relatively small infrastructure, and reliant on a few big data centres its a recipe for disaster.

I am always surprised the whole thing doesn't come crashing down around our ears more often.

In my own little world of ( now part time) engine tuning, I have 2 key pieces of software. manual data back ups and keep them totally clear of the bloody internet and they have been 100% reliable for 12+ years. . .quite happt on an old lap top with windows 8, before that a 486!

it'll be cars conking out in the middle of the motorway soon. we've already had plane crashes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here