Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion Players in Major International Competitions

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
My son has just asked me if there have been many Albion players as fortunate as Ben White to have been chosen to play for their country in a major competition.

I'm a crap historian with a knackered memory that only stretches back about 5 minutes. I mumbled some stuff about Balogun, Izquierdo, et al playing in the last world cup and decided to ask the experts.

Help me out please chaps? Particularly those picked to play for England.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Gaetan Bong (Cameroon), Leon Balogun (Nigeria) and Percy Tau (South Africa) were at the Africa Cup of Nations Finals in Egypt in the summer of 2019.

Anders Dreyer (Denmark) and Tudor Baluta (Romania) were at the UEFA U-21 Championship Finals in Italy the same summer.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not sure Balogun was officially an Albion player at the 2018 WC. Izzy played once for Colombia that tournament.

I think we need to look to Ireland here. Steve Penney played in Mexico 1986.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
My son has just asked me if there have been many Albion players as fortunate as Ben White to have been chosen to play for their country in a major competition.

I'm a crap historian with a knackered memory that only stretches back about 5 minutes. I mumbled some stuff about Balogun, Izquierdo, et al playing in the last world cup and decided to ask the experts.

Steve Penney 1986 World Cup for Northern Ireland

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

We’ve got 5 at the Euros in White, Trossard, Sanchez, Veltman and Moder by far the best representation at any single tournament I think.

Balogun technically wasn’t a Brighton player at the time he played in the World Cup, he had agreed to join us but was still registered with Mainz 05. Apart from Izzy, we also had Mat Ryan at that World Cup. Jiri Skalak at the last Euros. Steve Penny for Northern Ireland at Mexico 86 and Foster for England in 82. There may be others but I can’t think of them right now.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Jose Izquierdo (Colombia), Leon Balogun (Nigeria) and Maty Ryan (Australia) all played in the Russia 2018 World Cup Finals tournament.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Jake Forster-Caskey played for England in the UEFA U-21 European Championship Finals in the Czech Republic in the summer of 2015.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Jahanbakhsh was at the 2019 Asia Cup.

He was at the 2018 World Cup but signed for us after it had finished that summer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here