Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Great that white is picked but

rebel51

Jan 4, 2021
West sussex
southgate what a complete imbecile. Pick that half fit ordinary Henderson.loved it in the itv studio and it came to Roy Keane and he went does he do card tricks. Totally clueless, obviously happy for white, mings and Henderson should be nowhere near, ward prouse and lingard must be perplexed with him.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
southgate what a complete imbecile. Pick that half fit ordinary Henderson.loved it in the itv studio and it came to Roy Keane and he went does he do card tricks. Totally clueless, obviously happy for white, mings and Henderson should be nowhere near, ward prouse and lingard must be perplexed with him.

Somewhat plagued by injury last season, l do feel that Jordan Henderson is a good player. Leastwise l can't really think anyone who could do a better job in midfield.

As for Tyrone Mings, yes absolutely, we have three central defenders all better than him, and two of them have'nt even made the squad.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
If Henderson or maguire pull up injured during the group stage - Southgate's days are numbered.

Maguire isn’t expected to be fit for the group stages. There is a possibility we could be out before he’s even ready to play if Southgate full on Graham Taylors it.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If we progress and a winning team starts to emerge there's no way you'd break it up by putting slabhead in.

Foster in the FA cup replay.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maguire isn’t expected to be fit for the group stages. There is a possibility we could be out before he’s even ready to play if Southgate full on Graham Taylors it.

Alternatively:-

Without Maguire and Mings England sail through the group stages.
Southgate brings them both back.

& We're out!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Really??

I didn't know that was the official position.

That is incredible.
So potentially his replacement, that has got us through the group stages, has to make way for Maguire, when he's fit enough?

That is some ludicrous shit!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Really??

That is incredible.
So potentially his replacement, that has got us through the group stages, has to make way for Maguire, when he's fit enough?

IF Southgate fails to proceed from the group it will be because of injuries . . . . so he can't lose on that front . . . . IF we progress and he changes things it'll be on his head either way. . . the only way will will progress past the first knock out game is with a consistent core of a team that does not lose getting there.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I think it’s also fair to ask the question: why has it taken until now to call up Ben?

Has he magically blossomed in the last month? That is also a reasonable criticism as to why it took him so long to even come to the Amex. Without even getting to taking injured/shite defenders over Dunk or Webby.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
It would have been interesting to see if the squad would have looked different if Southgate could only pick 23 players, would he have stuck with Maguire and Henderson or not picked them.

Maybe the extra places gives him a bit of leeway with unfit players.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007

You are speaking English I assume.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

Indeed. If we win the group, he might be fit for the first knockout game, having not played in eight weeks. Not a problem, as he'll be able to work on his match fitness up against Ronaldo, Mbappe or Chelsea's Champions League winning pair of Germans!

Taking him is either magical thinking lunacy, or cowardly management that puts the player's feelings ahead of the squad's needs. Southgate would do well to remember that Alf Ramsey could have favoured his big name player and picked Jimmy Greaves ahead of Geoff Hurst for the World Cup Final. The squad could have a fit Dunk, Tomori, Tarkowski, Konsa, Webster, Mee, Godfrey, Keane or even Connor Goldson. You may argue that Harry Maguire may be better than all of these, but if we go all the way, we'll be playing seven games of which Maguire seems guaranteed to miss at least three. That's virtually half. Who would argue that Harry Maguire is twice the player of everyone of these? I suspect not even Gary Neville could do it with a straight face.

He's crocked. Its unlucky, but it's happened to far better and far more important players than Maguire. Any manager worth his salt would have had the hard talk, sent him home and got on with his job.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Really??

That is incredible.

It's so ludicrous that they can't actually guarantee he will be fit to play in the knock-out stages either. A baffling decision to take him.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I still can't get my head around the fact that Dunk,White and Webster are not the first choice England back three.
He's got a ready made English back three that play week in week out together.
It's crazy.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So pleased for White but genuinely gutted for Dunk and also feel for Webster. All three would be much less of a risk as they are all fit and have the bonus of being part of one of the meanest defences in a team that finished close to the bottom.

I see I have just posted similar feelings to Pint of Ale

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I still can't get my head around the fact that Dunk,White and Webster are not the first choice England back three.
He's got a ready made English back three that play week in week out together.
It's crazy.

So pleased for White but genuinely gutted for Dunk and also feel for Webster. All three would be much less of a risk as they are all fit and have the bonus of being part of one of the meanest defences in a team that finished close to the bottom.

I see I have just posted similar feelings to Pint of Ale

Given the guaranteed reaction from the press & (non-Brighton) fans if Southgate didn't have the centre backs from the team that won the league and the team that came 2nd in his 1st XI, it would take enormous COJONES to make that call.

We all know that Southgate doesn't have the required swingers for that, even though we can all see the benefit of having those three in the squad (if not the starting XI!!)

SAC

May 21, 2014
Can't people just celebrate that White has been included? It's quite pathetic the constant need from everyone to be seen to be the most anti Southgate.

Get behind the team, or don't, just stop the constant moaning.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Something else about this is that Mings must know he's played a couple of shockers and is lucky to be in the team. To be an elite sportsperson there has to be a balance between confidence in your ability and awareness of errors you need to improve. If this was for Villa, early in the season, he'd be thinking they are errors he can iron out and improve over the course of several games, that's he's good enough to do that, and while they could prove to be costly mistakes the number of games means redemption is possible. But now he's going into a tournament knowing he's been not good enough, that there are more people watching than ever, that it's at home, and those same errors of judgement could play a major contribution in the national team being eliminated. That can't be a good mindset to go into it with or pressure to be under, however many sports psychologists you have around you. As for Maguire still being in the squad, that's just total nonsense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here