Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Ollie Robinson suspended by ECB

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Surprised the Sussex Social Media team had missed this. You would think all professional teams. regardless of sport, would have someone go through the accounts of all of their players. Not like it is hard to find.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Absolutely ridiculous. In 2021 we are told we must 'educate' ourselves, so how come 8 year old tweets from someone who was 18 - and has not posted anything similar since then suggesting he is a changed character is being punished so harshly?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Blimey ..that’s novel ..I agree with a politician

He has to say that bearing in mind what his boss has said in the past and got away with! Whilst his tweets were wrong, even I as a snowflake lefty do also think Robinson has been overly harshly treated.

As an aside, the lives of these people who forensically go trough decade old social media posts from teenagers must be incredibly miserable.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Absolutely ridiculous. In 2021 we are told we must 'educate' ourselves, so how come 8 year old tweets from someone who was 18 - and has not posted anything similar since then suggesting he is a changed character is being punished so harshly?

Listened to a bit of TMS and they said that as the ECB were making a big push on their inclusivity campaign, that had to be seen to do something or it would invalidate the whole thing. Whilst it is probably too harsh a punishment for the actions of a wayward teenager, I can see why they did it as they would risk undoing all of their recent work. Does make you wonder who broke it and presumably sat on it for maximum impact.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
It was an utterly ridiculous decision in the first place.

What are they actually going to investigate? Presumably the outcome will be something along the lines of not to do it again. I'd get it if it was last week or last year.

But 8 years ago???

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
A cricketer is suspended from the England team for something very stupid he wrote a long time ago yet a footballer drives his car (probably) drunk, crashes it, runs away while abusing lockdown rules yet he is welcomed into the England team - so the pen is mightier than the sword

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Another snowflake leftie here..

I really don't see the point of punishing someone who has/had racist feelings at 18 years of age.
The whole point of the anti-discrimination movement is to educate these people.

If the lad has admitted guilt,apologised and committed to educate himself, then what more do you want?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Listened to a bit of TMS and they said that as the ECB were making a big push on their inclusivity campaign, that had to be seen to do something or it would invalidate the whole thing. Whilst it is probably too harsh a punishment for the actions of a wayward teenager, I can see why they did it as they would risk undoing all of their recent work. Does make you wonder who broke it and presumably sat on it for maximum impact.

It was a 'graduate' journalist apparently....

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

This! all day long.
Teenager tweets ignorant "jokes" to mates a couple of times and nothing else...

Well...... "BURN HIM!" that'll solve racism.

D

Deleted member 22389

He has to say that bearing in mind what his boss has said in the past and got away with! Whilst his tweets were wrong, even I as a snowflake lefty do also think Robinson has been overly harshly treated.

As an aside, the lives of these people who forensically go trough decade old social media posts from teenagers must be incredibly miserable.

:thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 22389

We all do stupid things when we are younger, we learn from our mistakes. This decision is right over the top. Social Media the worst thing to happen on the Internet.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Unbelievable.

He`s just had his test debut where he got 7 wickets and scored a hugely valuable 42 runs . That`s what should be the news !! Not something silly he did as a teenager.

Please Sussex don`t suspend him...Support him !!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The witch hunt begins, pitchforks at the ready - the ECB wants to show they're right on. It is sad that even at 18 Robinson thought it cool or funny to post such cr@p on the internet - but even sadder are the saddoes that trawl through shedloads of historic stupidity to find some dirt, then sit on it only to release it in the middle of his test debut when it will get their oh so clever holier-than-thou trawling the maximum publicity.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Another snowflake leftie here..

I really don't see the point of punishing someone who has/had racist feelings at 18 years of age.
The whole point of the anti-discrimination movement is to educate these people.

If the lad has admitted guilt,apologised and committed to educate himself, then what more do you want?

To hang him out to dry

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
The news broke, Robinson admitted it, said he was sorry. He clearly is a different person from the one at 18 years old when he was sacked by Yorkshire.

What is there to investigate?

I suspect he'll be fined, miss the next test (might not have played anyway) and be told to attend some diversity training. I hope this doesn't have a long-term impact on his cricket career.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The witch hunt begins, pitchforks at the ready - the ECB wants to show they're right on. It is sad that even at 18 Robinson thought it cool or funny to post such cr@p on the internet - but even sadder are the saddoes that trawl through shedloads of historic stupidity to find some dirt, then sit on it only to release it in the middle of his test debut when it will get their oh so clever holier-than-thou trawling the maximum publicity.

Yeah this.

Organisations that care about their discriminatory policies would be more concerned about educating their employees than suspending them.
The need to be seen to be addressing the problem is the issue here.
Suspension just allows the racists to continue their rhetoric.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here