Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Dyson purifier

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've been tempted by the £500 version. Thing is, those hand dryers in the motorway services, they kick ass. So something at £500 must be good, right. Come on, his vacuum cleaners are the wotsits aren't they?
Problem is they are never ever ever on offer anywhere, not even in winter.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've been tempted by the £500 version. Thing is, those hand dryers in the motorway services, they kick ass. So something at £500 must be good, right. Come on, his vacuum cleaners are the wotsits aren't they?
Problem is they are never ever ever on offer anywhere, not even in winter.

His vacuum cleaners are rubbish. I stopped using mine and bought a Shark cleaner.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
His vacuum cleaners are rubbish. I stopped using mine and bought a Shark cleaner.

His vacuum cleaners are pretty good if you've got cat fur everywhere, but they've been overtaken by better, cheaper ones. I last bought a cordless G-Tech for half the price, including a hand-held vacuum.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Totally agree, over engineered nonsense.

ICome on, his vacuum cleaners are the wotsits aren't they?

The educated approach is a modern very light rechargeable one for (like the G-Tech) the everyday stuff and a Henry/Hetty under the stairs when things get serious.

Dyson vacuum cleaners ? Got "sucked in" for a couple of models but would NEVER buy one again.

Last edited:

helipilot

Jan 20, 2010
I've got the one that humidifies and purifies, but I do live in China so it's a necessity here. I really like it and it appears to do a vey good job with both tasks and is quiet so good for the bedroom. Worth the money in my opinion.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
If its a Dyson product it goes without saying that it is over hyped and over priced. like the man himself.

This. Loads of similar/competing products for much lower price.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Totally agree, over engineered nonsense.

The educated approach is a modern very light rechargeable one for (like the G-Tech) the everyday stuff and a Henry/Hetty under the stairs when things get serious.

Dyson vacuum cleaners ? Got "sucked in" for a couple of models but would NEVER buy one again.

I'd exchange over engineered for over detailed/marketed. Otherwise spot on. 27 years later I still have my Brighton designed and built Sturtevant 'Zephyr' vacuum cleaner in the workshop for heavy duty stuff, it'll empty a fireplace from 6 metres in 20 seconds . . . . .Mrs Z has a lightweight rechargeable thing for general dust busting.

If you're unsustainable in fresh air, Darwins caught up with you.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Just another thought on these Dyson 'bladeless' gadgets (note - I am not an engineer, and don't pretend to be) -

You cannot create the airflow without a spinning blade. The 'old-school' kind of fan had a spinning blade at the top of a stand, enclosed by a mesh guard, and powered by a motor in the base.

The 'bladeless' models have a spinning blade buried within the stand, powered by a motor. The top of the device has a series of guides to push the air movement, powered by the blade, out of a circular guide placed on top of the stand.

One problem with this is that you can not easily get to the blades of the fan to clean them. So, if they become covered in muck, you simply end up pushing that muck out of the fan and into the air. With the 'old-school' style, you simply wipe the blades down on a regular basis.

Many hospitals have banned the 'bladeless' style of fan from wards for this very reason.

Solving one 'problem' (fingers getting caught by blades) by moving the blades to within the housing at the base, simply replaces one problem with another - at enormous expense for the purchaser.

So now the expensive filters are needed to try to slow down the accumulation of dirt on the blades. This is then sold as a 'benefit' (look, we are filtering the air!) rather than a recognition of the potentially dangerous muck-build-up-prevention-solution - and the end-user pays for it all. :shrug:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
If its a Dyson product it goes without saying that it is over hyped and over priced. like the man himself.

Absolutely this. We used to have a Dyson vacuum and when it broke down looked at replacing it but the prices were eye watering. Ended up buying a similar Hoover model for just over £100 and having now had both, would never buy a Dyson ever again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here