Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] First Brighton game and who took you....indulge me

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I know this has been done before ...but indulge me..it’s a minor tribute to my dad who slipped away peacefully this afternoon.

Brighton v Torquay August 28th 1968 my Dad

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Sorry to hear about your dad. Awful news. My best to you and your family.

My grandad took me to QPR at the Withdean when I was a nipper, 2004 I believe? I think we lost 3-2. My grandad is still around and we’ve got season tickets together so I’m enjoying all the football moments I can with him.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Pompey at home, Boxing Day 1989. 0-0. My Dad @%1; took me and still swears to this day it was the worst game of football he’s ever seen. I thought it was wonderful.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Sorry to hear about your dad Lamie. RIP

I wish I had asked my dad which was the first game he took me too, I think it was around 1972 at the Goldstone, went to many games as a kid with him and not just Albion.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Condolences Lamie.

Drove myself & girlfriend of the time to Aston Villa at the Goldstone in the old first division. First league game Southampton v Man United......yes me & me dad were Man U fans. So know what its like to be taken by your dad to your first game.....very special.
Take care matey

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
I know this has been done before ...but indulge me..it’s a minor tribute to my dad who slipped away peacefully this afternoon.

So sad to hear of your loss. Losing such an influential person in your life is hard - but gradually the wonderful past memories take precedence in the mind.

With this thought my dad first took me to see the Albion in 1952 - home against Newport. He died in 1973 but his love comes across to me every day still, and I'm 75 tomorrow!

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Commiserations young man. Mine was my dad too - ashamed to say I can’t remember the exact game but similar era - Brian ‘Tiger Tawse was playing I think and we sat in the West Stand as my Dad thought that was the best view. My Dad died over 25 years ago but I still have very fond memories of him - as you will too of yours. RIP Mr. Robertson senior

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Sorry to hear your sad news.

August 28th 1965 versus Hull City. My father took me and we lost 2-1..... and I took my son for his first match versus Mansfield Town at the start of the Withdean era. We won 6-0.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I was 28 newly divorced, had moved to London and started a new job, one of my colleagues there was a young chap called Hugo, well known to this board, and still a good mate the best part of forty years later.

At work one afternoon he asked me if l fancied going to watch a football match that evening. Where I asked? presuming he would say one of the London clubs. Brighton he replied, I'm a big fan. Don't worry he said, we'll drive down after work and can be there in time for kick-off, then l'll drive you home after the game.

I went. It was a Second Division match versus Carlisle United at the Goldstone under the lights, 1984/85 season, and we won 4-1, l seem to remember Danny Wilson bagged a couple of the goals, but my memory may be decieving me.

Anyway l loved it, Hugo said to me, we are at home to Wolves on Saturday, fancy coming again? I went. This time is resulted in a 6-0 victory, and l was hooked, in no time at all l had bought a season ticket, and was regularly travelling to away games too.

The rest as they say, is history.

R.I.P. Mr.Robertson Senior.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Sorry to hear your sad news.

August 28th 1965 versus Hull City. My father (who had played in goal for Brighton Juniors) took me and we lost 2-1..... and I took my son for his first match versus Mansfield Town at the start of the Withdean era on August 7th 1999. We won 6-0.
It was a great start for an 8 year old!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Really sorry to hear that Lamie.

My Dad took me to Port Vale v Brighton on 20th January 1990. We lost 2.1 and Codner scored for us.

All my best to you and your family.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sorry to hear your sad news Lamie :(

My Dad isn't a football fan but he got his friends to take me when I wanted to go, which was great of them and him. Would have been in 1979/80 season but I can't remember which actual game it was.

All the best to you and yours.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
My dad took me too, March 1953 for my 8th birthday. Strangely he never went again, mainly because he worked in London on Saturdays and I didn't go again until 1955 but was a regular ever since.
Sadly I have now decided its just the odd game in future for me as I'm heading towards 80 but my son and grandsons have taken up the mantle in my place.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Really sorry to hear your news. My Dad (despite not liking football especially) took me to my first game
- Albion v Derby on the 6th September 1983. I've never really forgiven him.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Sorry for your loss.

It was my Dad who took me to my first game, 6th November 1982 vs Man Utd, my Grandad was also there as he was a steward on the South West gate. Since the Amex opened my Dad and I have had season tickets together and it’s really brought us closer. Next season my 10 year old son joins us as a season ticket holder too.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Sorry for your loss, sending you best wishes.

My uncle Bob Tottenham 77 3-1 @ The Goldstone, don’t recall too much, other than he protected me and was extremely proud it was my first game.
He also took me to my first away game at Maine Road 1984 I think we lost 2-0, as we were both excelled at the time up north.
He stayed up north with my auntie, moving to Scotland and currently Yorkshire, I’ve repaid him ever since with programmes, fanzines, info, photos every few weeks of the Amex being built, I owe him so much.
Sadly he’s been on an oxygen machine for the past year, I fear it won’t be long.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Rip Lamie’s dad. My old dad took me sometime in the mid 70s, I was either 6 or 7. It was an evening game. Cannot actually remember the match but I believe we won, not that it bothered me because I was hooked. Like so many others he never made it to the Amex. Thank the lord for dad’s who get the kids in to the Albion.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here