Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League Retention list

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Cant see another thread on this apart from our u23 retentions - premier league retention list came out today

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2163104

Andrew Crofts released - is he staying as part of u23 coaching staff?

As expected Palace have jettisoned a whole first team but kept Benteke - some rebuild ahead which with Mr Tumble asking for transfer and no Eze for most of next season hopefully means relegation

And I’ve sorted our striker position out - Andy Carroll is available, well at least our physio team would have something to do

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There's 40-odd players there with a significant amount of top flight experience. I don't remember a cull like this before. It will be interesting to see where some of these names end up.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Cant see another thread on this apart from our u23 retentions - premier league retention list came out today

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2163104

Andrew Crofts released - is he staying as part of u23 coaching staff?

As expected Palace have jettisoned a whole first team but kept Benteke - some rebuild ahead which with Mr Tumble asking for transfer and no Eze for most of next season hopefully means relegation

And I’ve sorted our striker position out - Andy Carroll is available, well at least our physio team would have something to do

Crofts retired as a player when Rusk moved to Stockport.

Some of the players are not as much "released" as they are "not yet re-signed" . I dont see Ward, Dann and Cahill all leaving Palace at the same time, for instance.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
As expected Palace have jettisoned a whole first team but kept Benteke - some rebuild ahead which with Mr Tumble asking for transfer and no Eze for most of next season hopefully means relegation.

They’ve surprisingly kept 7 over 30s.

Like Welbeck & Lalllana, these are legendary names of the game recognised from Coulsdon East to Upper Norwood; some Albion fans might recognise one or two:

Guaita
Kelly
Tomkins
Kouyate
Milivojevic
McArthur
Benteke

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Crofts retired as a player when Rusk moved to Stockport.

Some of the players are not as much "released" as they are "not yet re-signed" . I dont see Ward, Dann and Cahill all leaving Palace at the same time, for instance.

I’m not certain about that.

I believe their club (as ours has done) have told the EPL & the players that they are leaving.

There are players such as McArthur who’s contract seems like it ends in June but he is not on the released list:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/james-mcarthur/profil/spieler/41416

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I’m not certain about that.

I believe their club (as ours has done) have told the EPL & the players that they are leaving.

There are players such as McArthur who’s contract seems like it ends in June but he is not on the released list:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/james-mcarthur/profil/spieler/41416

We'll see. Joel Ward spoke only a few days ago about negotiating a new contract. And over in Manchester, Fernandinho is on the released list despite Pep & Fernandinho both saying very recently that they would like to renew his contract.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Released 11

Tom Heaton
Ryan Bertrand
Gary Cahill
David Luiz
Van Aanholt
Jose Izquierdo
John Lundstram
Theo Walcott
Andy Carroll
Aguero
Josh King

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We'll see. Joel Ward spoke only a few days ago about negotiating a new contract. And over in Manchester, Fernandinho is on the released list despite Pep & Fernandinho both saying very recently that they would like to renew his contract.

I’m not sure what signal it sends out putting an out of contract player on that list if you’d love to keep them?

Thank goodness we’ve not put Welbeck on our list!

Last edited:

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
I’m not sure what signal it sends out putting an out of contract player on that list if you’d love to keep them?

Thank goodness we’ve not put Welbeck on our list!

‘Please note players signified as a "free transfer" or released by a club on the expiry of their contract on 30 June 2021 could still remain at that club next season. So this list should not be seen as definitive for players leaving their club.”

Expect one or two to remain with new contracts once they appoint their new manager.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I see Chelsea have released Jack Wakely - have we signed him?

Not seen anything about it. I think it was clear early that he would be released from Chelsea so they allowed him to go look for a new club in January. Trialed with Brighton, played well and earned a 6 month loan as the U23s had very few central defenders. But not seen anything about him signing permanently.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Any GK's that anyone fancies to fill our no.3 GK spot on the cheap until Rushworth or McGill are ready to replace/challenge Big Bob? - Heaton, Lonergan, Henderson all available

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Any GK's that anyone fancies to fill our no.3 GK spot on the cheap until Rushworth or McGill are ready to replace/challenge Big Bob? - Heaton, Lonergan, Henderson all available

Heaton has already signed for Man United.

Last edited:

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
There's 40-odd players there with a significant amount of top flight experience. I don't remember a cull like this before. It will be interesting to see where some of these names end up.

Football reset is happening. Survival and sustainability is the only game in town for all but the state/oligarch owned clubs and even they’ve undermined their own foundations with the ESL proposals. Some agents will actually earn their living now.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Looking at the retained list I see we've made Wellbeck a offer , hopefully one he will accept .

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Football reset is happening. Survival and sustainability is the only game in town for all but the state/oligarch owned clubs and even they’ve undermined their own foundations with the ESL proposals. Some agents will actually earn their living now.

Totally agree with this.

That’s why the palace situation may not be all bad, get rid of the older more expensive squad players and start again with a leaner squad of younger, cheaper players. Squads get bloated with high paid players on long contracts and this happens with all clubs in the premier league after a few years....as you say a great reset.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here