Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] History of the Brighton v Palace rivalry, LIVE talk Wednesday July 14th

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Afternoon all,

At 7pm on Wednesday July 14th, History Indoors will be hosting a talk about the history of the rivalry between Brighton and Palace via Zoom. As we’re a history organisation, the talk will take a specifically historical angle, using newspaper clippings and memorabilia to explore the development of the rivalry. The talk is aimed at people of all ages, with younger fans of the two clubs being able to learn about the rivalry’s origins, while older fans can take a trip down memory lane. The talk will be followed by a Q&A session, where you can ask questions and share your own personal recollections of past Albion/Palace encounters.

This talk may be the perfect antidote to overcome the post-Euros blues and build anticipation for the forthcoming season!

You can sign up for free either directly from our website, or via Eventbrite:

https://historyindoors.co.uk/talk/t...alry-brighton-hove-albion-and-crystal-palace/
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/hist...ace-tickets-154193574131?aff=ebdsoporgprofile

:albion2:

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
I'll be interested to hear whether he gets it right as I've heard so many versions that are way off the mark. I went to my first Albion V Palace matches in the 1970s in the old Div 3 and then Div 2, and joined in when we first started chanting "Seagulls" to take the p1ss out of their "Eagles". Also, it's annoying all this stuff about how can we be rivals when we are 50 miles apart. Yesterday as I cycled past the crowds on the seafront in my Albion shirt some south London geezer shouted "EAGLES" after me, reminding me that when a south Londoner wants the seaside he heads due south to Brighton. We do encounter these g1ts outside of football...

BHAFCLive

Sep 21, 2018
I’ve viewed a previous History Indoors talk about football in the 80s and it was very good, well informed and nicely communicated. Looking forward to this one.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
I believe the first blows exchanged was in a pre-season friendly in August 1973

This was further compounded by the two sides meeting on the opening day of the following season

And by 76-77 and all those cup games the die was cast

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
If someone calls it the M23 or A23 derby I’m going to be fuming. :tantrum: :)

Rest assured, this myth will be debunked within the first few minutes of the talk!

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I’ve viewed a previous History Indoors talk about football in the 80s and it was very good, well informed and nicely communicated. Looking forward to this one.

Really glad you enjoyed that talk - Chris did an excellent job covering societal issues that affected what happened on the pitch during the 70s and 80s. Incidentally anyone who's interested can catch up on that here:

And bn9 bha, you are completely right re: Sky. Even the FA jumped on the bandwagon! https://www.thefa.com/news/2018/jan/05/five-things-you-may-not-know-about-the-m23-derby---050118

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk

Rovert_Fugazi

RovertFugazi
Feb 15, 2010
I believe the first blows exchanged was in a pre-season friendly in August 1973

This was further compounded by the two sides meeting on the opening day of the following season

And by 76-77 and all those cup games the die was cast

This is it. Palace brought down several thousand, and there was only a couple of hundred Brighton North Standers. 'Fraid to say they kicked the s*** out of us.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Unfortunately I missed it. Is it recorded and viewable at a later time?

Not to worry, it’ll be up on YouTube to watch back from tomorrow - I’ll post a link once it’s uploaded! :thumbsup:

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Unfortunately I missed it. Is it recorded and viewable at a later time?

Morning!

Here is Wednesday's talk if anybody missed it! Enjoy. :albion2:

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Morning!

Here is Wednesday's talk if anybody missed it! Enjoy. :albion2:

I think that was a very fair assessment of how we got here. The only thing it didn't dwell on was haymaker punches and Doctor Marten kicks in Goldstone Park and the Whitehorse Lane end of Selhurst Park which raised the antagonism levels.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here