• Love it and long may it continue

Votes: 84 28.0%
  • Agreed with the gesture to begin with but want it to stop now

Votes: 124 41.3%

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im confused by authority's response or lack of response to booing. its implicitly racist, but nothing is proposed to be done about it. so whats the purpose of the gesture, if when people openly dissent to it, you just carry on the same regardless?

Last edited:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The Poll options are poor.

My view on the matter is if its something players want to do in football to support black players and stand united then they should continue to do it.

If some teams/players want to stop then they should be able to without coming into heavy criticism as that then becomes more of the focus than the message.

Why anyone would boo no matter your view is beyond me, well unless you are a massive racist.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
As several have stated, been discussed many times on NSC, it invariably turns into a bit of shite slinging episode. My opinions are as follows, I don’t agree with any sort of political statement being made at football or sporting events, I don’t agree with continuing to Kneel for thugs that desecrate war memorials,I don’t agree with kneeling for a career criminal who pistol whipped a pregnant woman 3000 miles away. That’s just my opinion...I won’t be booing kneeling,I shall just take my seat after it has taken place...simple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Spot on

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It's nonsense, but I wouldn't boo it. However I do defend those that do their right to do so. It's a political statement and I don't want to see that at football. We go to football to be entertained not preached at. And it's not us they need to work on it's the football governing bodies. I don't think it does anything personally. Change is coming, it is just going to take time to be shown in manager positions, and those running football. But society will always have racists, I don't football is any worse than anywhere else. It is now getting to the point where it's just an irritant. How many players really want to do it? How many think it is stupid but feel they can't be standing out against it? It is the choreographed nature of it that gets me. The Premier League are saying do it, so they do it. I doubt there is very much personal choice in this.

I'm not sure how addressing racism becomes 'political'. Surely it's societal?

And when you way 'it's not us they need to work on', I'm assuming you mean football fans in general – some of whom ARE racist, even if it's 'casual racism' – so it clearly IS at least SOME of 'us' who 'they' need to work on...

As for the poll, I would vote for an option that said something along the lines of 'I have no issue with what the players do to raise awareness of racism. If they want to carry on, fair enough, I don't let it affect my viewing pleasure'.

Personally, I think if anyone DOES have an issue with players taking a knee for, what, 20 seconds?, to the point where it ruins their enjoyment of a football match, they need to have a word with themselves :shrug:

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
Load of bollocks as proven last night at Boro
Regards
DF
Nobody is surprised by your view on this!

What is a load of bollocks, is racists, being racist.
Serious question.
Why would you treat people differently because of the colour of their skin or where they are from?
Nobody is born racist, you learn it.

Time to educate yourself and unlearn it!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As several have stated, been discussed many times on NSC, it invariably turns into a bit of shite slinging episode. My opinions are as follows, I don’t agree with any sort of political statement being made at football or sporting events, I don’t agree with continuing to Kneel for thugs that desecrate war memorials,I don’t agree with kneeling for a career criminal who pistol whipped a pregnant woman 3000 miles away. That’s just my opinion...I won’t be booing kneeling,I shall just take my seat after it has taken place...simple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're entitled to your opinion, of course you are, but try and make sure of the facts. George Floyd was certainly no angel but he was never accused of, what you describe as, 'pistol whipping' a pregnant woman.

https://www.politifact.com/factchec...to-doesnt-show-woman-george-floyd-allegedly-/

https://www.snopes.com/news/2020/06/12/george-floyd-criminal-record/

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm not sure how addressing racism becomes 'political'. Surely it's societal?

It's mildly terrifying that anyone could see black people wanting equality with white people as "political".

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Think it's probably time to draw a line under it - at the end of the Euros. By then it will have reached as many people - and neanderthals - on our European continent as its ever going to reach, and stimulated as much debate as its ever going to stimulate. The freaks booing the taking of the knee are probably already beyond convincing

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Think it's probably time to draw a line under it - at the end of the Euros. By then it will have reached as many people - and neanderthals - on our European continent as its ever going to reach, and stimulated as much debate as its ever going to stimulate. The freaks booing the taking of the knee are probably already beyond convincing

Glad to hear racism is going to be over and sorted within 6 weeks. Thank **** for that.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I've got a couple of black mates and they both fully understand why it's still being done but think it's played out and should be dropped.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My view is that it raised awareness of an important issue but in itself it isn't going to change society. I'd like to see it stop but be replaced by positive action in society to now address the issues raised (and I don't mean pulling down statues).

As for those that boo, I think they show themselves to be exactly what they are and would be quite happy for clubs to identify them and ban them.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
How about players stop taking a knee when people stop being racist? Deal?

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
When it was done at first it was a powerful message. The more it's done, and the more choreographed it appears, the less powerful the message. It's no longer "what are they doing? Why are they doing?" now it's "having they done the knee bit yet? When's kick-off?"

If ever a message needs to be got across it's this one but it's time to change the what, how and when IMHO.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think it has had its time now and the impact is pretty much zero going forwards.

I'd have scrapped it at the end of last season as they'll now be doing it ad infinitum.

But booing it is an utter disgrace.

My thoughts exactly.

Other initiatives should make sure that the issue doesn’t die a death.

When Sky Sports/Martin Tyler or Sam Matterface make an overly assertive statement as it takes place, to me it sounds a bit false, as they tick the virtuous boxes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here