Votes: 84 28.0%
  • Agreed with the gesture to begin with but want it to stop now

Votes: 124 41.3%

• Total voters

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Does it solve the racism problem. No.

But. It does raise the question in people’s minds still. “Dad, why do the players take the knee?”. And that may be a good thing.

Whatever your thoughts, booing it is utterly moronic.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As an aside in F1 drivers have the right to make the choice and some don’t take the knee :shrug:

I just don’t see that footballers have a choice which dilutes the effect, just imo

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
It's nonsense, but I wouldn't boo it. However I do defend those that do their right to do so. It's a political statement and I don't want to see that at football. We go to football to be entertained not preached at. And it's not us they need to work on it's the football governing bodies. I don't think it does anything personally. Change is coming, it is just going to take time to be shown in manager positions, and those running football. But society will always have racists, I don't football is any worse than anywhere else. It is now getting to the point where it's just an irritant. How many players really want to do it? How many think it is stupid but feel they can't be standing out against it? It is the choreographed nature of it that gets me. The Premier League are saying do it, so they do it. I doubt there is very much personal choice in this.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's nonsense, but I wouldn't boo it. However I do defend those that do their right to do so. It's a political statement and I don't want to see that at football. We go to football to be entertained not preached at. And it's not us they need to work on it's the football governing bodies. I don't think it does anything personally. Change is coming, it is just going to take time to be shown in manager positions, and those running football. But society will always have racists, I don't football is any worse than anywhere else. It is now getting to the point where it's just an irritant. How many players really want to do it? How many think it is stupid but feel they can't be standing out against it? It is the choreographed nature of it that gets me. The Premier League are saying do it, so they do it. I doubt there is very much personal choice in this.

Spot on

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Players decided to start doing it. Up to the players to decide if / when they stop.

The huge amount of English fans booing English players who took the knee yesterday suggests to me that the natonal team still has a signiicant number of racist followers. Disrespectful to the nation and the players.

The knee clearly upsets the racists and for that reason, if no other, the players should keep it going.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I guess it is hard when decision-making in elite football tends to be based along the following lines:

Q. "Does this issue have the potential to directly impact the club's financial position this season?"

YES? "We take this massively seriously and will discuss it at the next PL Board meeting"
NO? "Go and get some warm-up t-shirts printed."

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
With one of the options being: Love it and long may it continue demonstrates you have absolutely no idea what it's about. Which is a shame considering it's been so prevalent in the media.

No, no one loves it and no one wants it to continue any longer than is necessary.

Quite.

When even this guy can see it...

Magoo.png

...I'd question whether those who can't really want to at all

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

My bolding in quoted post.

You are suggesting that the players are obeying EPL orders to take the knee. I had understood that the decision was taken by a players' collective. Can you post the instruction from the EPL that players must take the knee. (I'm assuming that similar instructions must also have been issued by the FL, FA, WSL, UEFA etc but I can't find them). There have been clubs who have refused to take the knee (step forward QPR & Brentford for your awards) but I can find no sanctions imposed.

I thought it started because of the players; I hadn't realised they were doing it "under orders". I look forward to being proved incorrect.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I meant just polls and I did find the last one but that was from September 2020 - A lot of times passed since then hence the fresh question to see what peoples thoughts are now

Agreed, I thought it was a fabulous idea at the start. Now I am not so sure

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
As several have stated, been discussed many times on NSC, it invariably turns into a bit of shite slinging episode. My opinions are as follows, I don’t agree with any sort of political statement being made at football or sporting events, I don’t agree with continuing to Kneel for thugs that desecrate war memorials,I don’t agree with kneeling for a career criminal who pistol whipped a pregnant woman 3000 miles away. That’s just my opinion...I won’t be booing kneeling,I shall just take my seat after it has taken place...simple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What would be interesting would be a poll of PL footballers to find out how many of them are doing it because it's a great idea, really worthwhile and is having/will have a positive effect on racism, and how many them do it, although it's not compulsory, because they fear the consequences (social media abuse and threats, being rubbished in Sky Sports, etc.) of not doing it.

Anyway, I voted for option 4. No apologies, and no more to say on the subject for me. I'll stand aside now and let the usual suspects, whoever they are, drag this into the bear pit sooner or later. Whenever they like, really.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2018
Are these results being overlaid with the brexit and age threads? [emoji897]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Anything that gets the gammons going is a good thing, long may it continue (and the more people boo, the longer it will go on for).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I meant just polls and I did find the last one but that was from September 2020 - A lot of times passed since then hence the fresh question to see what peoples thoughts are now

Pretty sure racism hasn't been solved between September 2020 and now?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here