Votes: 84 28.0%
  • Agreed with the gesture to begin with but want it to stop now

Votes: 124 41.3%

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think it’s bollocks but I certainly wouldn’t boo it

I doubt even one person has been influenced and changed their attitude.

I doubt that every footballer agrees with it but the pressure to do it would result in a complete media shit storm if a player didn’t do it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Happy for the players to do whatever they think is best. Neither here nor there for me. I support the anti-discrimination cause. There shouldn't be pressure or judgement though.

I don't know why some folk get so wound up about it. Some may think it identifies with a political movement. I don't think that is the intent.

I'm not sure this will survive the Bear Pit though. Reasonable discourse has a shelf limit on these threads.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think it has had its time now and the impact is pretty much zero going forwards.

I'd have scrapped it at the end of last season as they'll now be doing it ad infinitum.

But booing it is an utter disgrace.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My thoughts are that we've had this thread several times before and that your extremely limited poll options betray your real motives.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
38F50360-D9BF-4858-989D-00EA6B8C2196.jpeg

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Thoughts are that this will turn out like every other thread we've had on the same subject since last autumn. It will attract the same posters making exactly the same points, convincing nobody to change their original stance. It will result in multiple 'post reports' and eventually get closed as frankly it is more trouble than it's worth trying to moderate something that turns toxic within 3 pages.

But I may be wrong.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Poll options are ludicrously skewed.

Anything that annoys racist twats is good, so hopefully they double the length of kneeling time.

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
My thoughts are that we've had this thread several times before and that your extremely limited poll options betray your real motives.

I searched for 'knee' before posting and couldnt find anything - apologies

and I certainly dont have any motives whatsoever

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I voted ( too quickly ) that it should ( no.4) stop now. With a little bit of hindsight, maybe keep it on until at least 2-3 home games next season , so the crowd can perhaps applaud the 'Taking the Knee' period to show their support.

The TKO in silent stadiums has lacked any real effect....IMO.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
With one of the options being: Love it and long may it continue demonstrates you have absolutely no idea what it's about. Which is a shame considering it's been so prevalent in the media.

No, no one loves it and no one wants it to continue any longer than is necessary.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I can’t say that I’ve seen a poll on this recently but you are a Mod and have the ability to increase poll options as you see fit don’t you?

Can’t see that the thread has anything that would require it being locked......yet

I hope it’s not that you don’t feel this is a reasonable discussion because of your personal views?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Your poll is a bit leading, giving three ways of saying it should stop.
Where is the option for, "It's a positive gesture and reminder, but it's not enough";
Where is "Its a matter of conscience for those involved and my views on what they should do are irrelevant";
Where is the option for "It was a well intentioned gesture which is not enough on its own to combat racial prejudice and online abuse, but given that it seems to have become a focus point for those who don't want the subject highlighted, it has to remain or it will seem like backing down"?

It may seem like virtue signalling for players to do this, but its about time some virtues were agreed upon and lived up to by the football world as a whole. If people who don't agree with a god saving the queen can have the respect to accept that the wider community does and not complain at every international, so can those who don't like this.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I searched for 'knee' before posting and couldnt find anything - apologies

and I certainly dont have any motives whatsoever

You didn’t put a sensible poll option like “Regardless of my views, I understand it to be an important stand for equality”

That would’ve gotten a majority.

Instead the needlessly childish “love it”. No one “loves” it. It’s not meant to be an exciting or fun thing to do. It’s a stance to say people being treated negatively due to skin colour is from the dark ages and it’s ****ing ridiculous we still have to make this point in 2021.

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Your poll is a bit leading, giving three ways of saying it should stop.
Where is the option for, "It's a positive gesture and reminder, but it's not enough";
Where is "Its a matter of conscience for those involved and my views on what they should do are irrelevant";
Where is the option for "It was a well intentioned gesture which is not enough on its own to combat racial prejudice and online abuse, but given that it seems to have become a focus point for those who don't want the subject highlighted, it has to remain or it will seem like backing down"?

It may seem like virtue signalling for players to do this, but its about time some virtues were agreed upon and lived up to by the football world as a whole. If people who don't agree with a god saving the queen can have the respect to accept that the wider community does and not complain at every international, so can those who don't like this.

fair enough - reasonable response

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
me too

I initially thought just agree or disagree but then thought, of those that disagree lets ask for a bit more detail - thats all

After hearing booing before the England match yesterday evening I thought maybe this is the reason for the thread.
4 options seem reasonable to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here