Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Excessive parking fine or fair cop?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i'd say both. person parked, though its excessive for the company to take to appeal.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
The original fine is a fair cop. She used a parking space with no intention of paying for it. Whether you use the space to take a call or pop in a shop for a couple of things doesn’t really matter. On the point of the grace period it wasn’t like she was using the time to read the prices / terms and conditions to decide “actually I don’t want to park here”.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Norma was 'expecting the call' so should organise herself better.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Norma was 'expecting the call' so should organise herself better.

Esp as her sister Daisy always calls at that time to talk about the previous evenings bingo.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
mmm. Whilst having sympathy with the driver, and a hatred for the parking company, a rule is a rule. Stay static for over 10 minutes in a parking zone and you have to pay.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Think we had a lengthy thread on this when the driver won the original case.

I can only assume that the Parking Company decided to appeal to ensure that going forward no one could use the 'phone call defence'. Not sure how they racked up £4k in fees to appeal.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
She should have just paid the fine. She pulled into a car park which, looking at where it is, she already knew about. The bays, if they are the ones shown in the picture (taken from Google streetview) are clearly marked as private car park. Just around the corner to the left is the Waitrose car park which is free for two hours.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
She should have just paid the fine. She pulled into a car park which, looking at where it is, she already knew about. The bays, if they are the ones shown in the picture (taken from Google streetview) are clearly marked as private car park. Just around the corner to the left is the Waitrose car park which is free for two hours.

Yeah but that one's not right next to the Post Office. :wink:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Convince me that the Law is not an Ass....Mods please delete thread if I can’t say this

I cannot get my head around what has happened here, it’s ridiculous

I am astounded that any company would go to court over an overturned £100 parking fine, that was 2 minutes over the grace period.

Thoughts?

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/193...rking-solution-stopping-eastgate-wharf-lewes/

I'm not clicking on the link because I don't do the Arsegas, but if you've outstayed your welcome – by two minutes or two hours – it's a fair cop and you should accept that you got caught and pay up.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not clicking on the link because I don't do the Arsegas, but if you've outstayed your welcome – by two minutes or two hours – it's a fair cop and you should accept that you got caught and pay up.

Fair enough NSC appears to have decided that paying 4k for her pisstake is OK :smile:

I am a lone voice here!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Fair enough NSC appears to have decided that paying 4k for her pisstake is OK :smile:

I am a lone voice here!

No, paying £100 was the penalty for parking. She took umbrage at the audacity of someone not wanting her to park in their private car park and is now paying the price.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If you don’t think it’s fair, she’s got a go fund me page you can help her out.

As if :lolol:

Fair doesn’t come into it, it’s just that the fine was overturned and she ends up with a 4k bill on appeal. Would even one of you expected that outcome?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just because one side is morally repugnant it doesn't automatically follow the other side is Mahatma Gandhi.

Norma could have done a fair few things differently and not ended up with a bill for 4k.
In the least surprising news of the day, we, as a species, have major problems with accepting responsibility for our actions if they occur while sat in the driver's seat of a car.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Just because one side is morally repugnant it doesn't automatically follow the other side is Mahatma Gandhi.

Norma could have done a fair few things differently and not ended up with a bill for 4k.
In the least surprising news of the day, we, as a species, have major problems with accepting responsibility for our actions if they occur while sat in the driver's seat of a car.

It doesn't only occur in cars .......

polling booths as well :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here