Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Who has made the most unacceptable comments?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Boris Johnson: Highly paid (disgraced) journalist and now (disgraceful) Prime Minister

or

Ollie Robinson spouting crap on Twitter when he was self proclaimed 'bit of a dickhead' 19yr old cricketer.

...don't know how to do a poll.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Boris Johnson: Highly paid (disgraced) journalist and now (disgraceful) Prime Minister

or

Ollie Robinson spouting crap on Twitter when he was self proclaimed 'bit of a dickhead' 19yr old cricketer.

...don't know how to do a poll.

Amazing isn't it?
Front of the Telegraph tomorrow. How rich is that?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
60fad9e2818051a0a74cc0c7821c8c4c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I don’t get these stories. Is he sorry he tweeted vile racist comments, or sorry he got found out?

The defence he was only a homesick teenager doesn’t really wash - does it?

It’s always the latter imho, hollow soundbites on being found out. Don’t follow cricket but it’s pretty disgraceful and I hope no Sussex cricket fans try and paint it as anything else. The whole “I’ve grown up” stuff just doesn’t wash for me, yes people mature but it still leaves a bad smell. Pathetic.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
When will they ever learn.

It is not compulsory to offer up every thought on Twitter. lol.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I don’t get these stories. Is he sorry he tweeted vile racist comments, or sorry he got found out?

The defence he was only a homesick teenager doesn’t really wash - does it?

It’s always the latter imho, hollow soundbites on being found out. Don’t follow cricket but it’s pretty disgraceful and I hope no Sussex cricket fans try and paint it as anything else. The whole “I’ve grown up” stuff just doesn’t wash for me, yes people mature but it still leaves a bad smell. Pathetic.

He made a joke about Asian people having straight eyes and a Muslim being a terrorist.

I did that when I was a teenager. I think I did worse actually. I've grown up.

You never did that sort of thing then ?

It doesn't leave a bad smell for me. I leaves an opportunity for youngsters to learn and understand about such things and general conduct.

I don't get my righteous kicks from the Pitchfork Brigade. I know what the word 'hypocrite' means.

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Surely someone in the England camp understands that journo’s will go through Twitter accounts etc of new players?

There must be hundreds of young sportsmen with dodgy comments on their social media because a good number of them are not too bright. It’s up to their club and country to make sure players are ‘clean’ before thrusting them onto the national or in this case, international scene.

Wouldn’t happen at the Albion nowadays.....................

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
When will they ever learn.

It is not compulsory to offer up every thought on Twitter. lol.

It's absolutely staggering what some people think is ok to post.

Years back I was a union steward at work and we used to advise people on being really careful about what they posted social media. I remember chatting with a good friend of mine about his Facebook posts and I used to tell him don't ever post anything about work on Facebook, because you could be putting negative comments about your employer, in writing, in a public forum. I also advised him not have work colleagues on his Facebook friends list because they might be friends with other people at work who you don't know, and your comments could be seen by a wider unintended audience. Sure enough he ended up calling his boss a c*** on Facebook and got sacked for it. He argued and swore about how unfair it was, how he was going to sue the company etc, but you know what, he didn't have a leg to stand on.

Less than a year later, after luckily landing a new job, he started posting on Facebook about his new job, pictures of him mucking about in his office, comments about his colleagues etc. I have never been able to get my head around how he just could not see how vulnerable he made himself, especially having already experienced losing his job over posting comments on social media.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
It's absolutely staggering what some people think is ok to post.

Years back I was a union steward at work and we used to advise people on being really careful about what they posted social media. I remember chatting with a good friend of mine about his Facebook posts and I used to tell him don't ever post anything about work on Facebook, because you could be putting negative comments about your employer, in writing, in a public forum. I also advised him not have work colleagues on his Facebook friends list because they might be friends with other people at work who you don't know, and your comments could be seen by a wider unintended audience. Sure enough he ended up calling his boss a c*** on Facebook and got sacked for it. He argued and swore about how unfair it was, how he was going to sue the company etc, but you know what, he didn't have a leg to stand on.

Less than a year later, after luckily landing a new job, he started posting on Facebook about his new job, pictures of him mucking about in his office, comments about his colleagues etc. I have never been able to get my head around how he just could not see how vulnerable he made himself, especially having already experienced losing his job over posting comments on social media.

Good grief, I can only assume your friend was too thick to take in the excellent advice you had given him.😳

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Robinson should have said.

I'm sorry for any offence taken.
As an England cricketer I would not use some of those words.
I think what the public want is seeing me getting on the job of winning test matches for England.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
He made a joke about Asian people having straight eyes and a Muslim being a terrorist.

I did that when I was a teenager. I think I did worse actually. I've grown up.

You never did that sort of thing then ?

It doesn't leave a bad smell for me. I leaves an opportunity for youngsters to learn and understand about such things and general conduct.

I don't get my righteous kicks from the Pitchfork Brigade. I know what the word 'hypocrite' means.

Maybe it's just me then that finds this sort of "humour" banal, youth or not! I don't get the whole banter culture, as a way of being disrespectful to people, then hiding behind the "only a bit of bantz m8" when they go too far - so maybe it is me.

What I do know is I certainly wouldn't be putting my jaundiced views of race and women out there for the whole world to see.

Oh and there was lot more than the two racist comments you have alluded too...

As for hypocrisy, find something I have said on the internet that falls into the categories that are in question here, then you can call me a hypocrite.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Dear oh dear.

It’s a good job generations before his didn’t have access to Twitter and everything that has been said in our youth hasn’t been recorded and scrutinised years later.

I’m sure some utter tit will one take my post as a defence for his actions, which sums up this rather sickeningly self-indulgent thread for the holier than thou brigade.

:wave:

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Good grief, I can only assume your friend was too thick to take in the excellent advice you had given him.��

That whole experience made me give up my social media accounts, which I only ever used sparingly anyway. But honestly what a fool my mate was.

Sometimes I think probably the best thing about being 41 is that I remember the time before the internet, let alone Facebook and social media. I'm super happy about not having any social media accounts anymore, but I do also feel sorry for younger generations because I can see that there is strange unspoken pressure to have them. They've grown up with them, with everyone having one, with them constantly referred to on tv and in movies. I can see how it would be weird not to have one.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
That whole experience made me give up my social media accounts, which I only ever used sparingly anyway. But honestly what a fool my mate was.

Sometimes I think probably the best thing about being 41 is that I remember the time before the internet, let alone Facebook and social media. I'm super happy about not having any social media accounts anymore, but I do also feel sorry for younger generations because I can see that there is strange unspoken pressure to have them. They've grown up with them, with everyone having one, with them constantly referred to on tv and in movies. I can see how it would be weird not to have one.

There is nothing wrong with social media per se, it's what people put on it that's the problem!

And, no it's not a holier than thou attitude, it is good common decency. The saying used to be think before you speak, clearly now it should be think before you type...

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I'm certainly not going to defend him. His comments were crass, insulting, pathetic and ignorant. However neither am I going to join in a McCarthy-style witchhunt and demand punishment. What I think is really pathetic is the constant trawling through everybody's every historic utterance to find things that now offend public decency.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Dear oh dear.

It’s a good job generations before his didn’t have access to Twitter and everything that has been said in our youth hasn’t been recorded and scrutinised years later.

I’m sure some utter tit will one take my post as a defence for his actions, which sums up this rather sickeningly self-indulgent thread for the holier than thou brigade.

:wave:

I have to agree with you re previous generations and the absence of Twitter. Many attitudes were grim and far less enlightened than those generally held these days.
However, the younger generation,who have grown up with social media, have to realise that unlike saying daft things, anything posted on SM is there for ever.
Nasser Hussain said much the same on telly this morning.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I know a bloke who was a little bit BNP when he was a teenager and only started changing his views in his twenties and early thirties when he started experiencing life outside of his racist family and school friends. Thirty years later he is a thoroughly decent human being with completely different opinions and attitudes.

For me this guy is simple proof that some people can and do change. He is just lucky that social media when he was a young, bigoted turd consisted solely of graffiti in public toilets and on bus stops.

This is why I will not be joining any pompous, public shaming band wagons for historical, adolescent cockwomblery and instead hope the perpetrator is genuinely remorseful and has become more enlightened.

Unless they are a Palarse fan, in which case they are beyond redemption obviously.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'll be the first to shout about twattery and bumblecuntery at football, or anywhere for that matter, whoever it is or wherever they come from, not that that makes any difference . . . Untrustworthy crooks, cheats and war mongers should always be called out regardless of background or heritage . . . . but I don't ever recall saying or hearing anything as banal, pathetic and idiotically derogatory as has been quoted since I left primary school.

Maybe thats the level of Yorkshire cricket? . . . damn, I've fallen into my own trap :laugh:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here