Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR given thumbs down by fans for Premier League study

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
"Check complete," then.

But they won't bin it, sadly. The PGMOL do seem to be under the impression that the game is all about them and their employees.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think the good thing to come out is both attending and TV watching fans are against it. You get the feeling that the thoughts of fans attending games are ignored but if it threatens to lose viewers and cut TV rights money they might bin it off.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think the good thing to come out is both attending and TV watching fans are against it. You get the feeling that the thoughts of fans attending games are ignored but if it threatens to lose viewers and cut TV rights money they might bin it off.
Well, that's a hope - but still a pretty forlorn one, I reckon.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I don't have a problem with VAR, I have a problem with the use of VAR. I would:

1) Only use it for 'clear and obvious' errors (as we were originally promised, I seem to recall). If it isn't clear and/or obvious, stick with the on-field decision.
2) Get rid of the '1 pixel' offside rule, replace with a 10cm margin of error, as I understand happens in other leagues in Europe - i.e. stick with the on-field decision to award a goal unless the offside is more than 10cm, rather that more than 1 pixel.

I honestly think VAR can be good, it just needs to be used properly, not for relentlessly triple-checking every decision. Referees and Linos need to be forced to make a decision, which is then only overturned if they have obviously screwed up. Too often this season, officials have not made a decision, because they know VAR will scrutinise things anyway.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
It won't be binned off. We all wanted it at one point and it hasn't lived up to our expectations. There has been too much money spent, jobs created, and rules changed at this point to just go back to what once was (and people weren't particularly happy with that anyway). The Premier League/PGMOL do have a duty now in my opinion to make it work and make it work properly.

There are difficult things to solve like offsides (personally, I think it is fine as it is - just the rules finally being properly applied). There are easier things to solve that really shouldn't be a factor any more - time it takes to make a decision, how the decision is communicated, etc. Fingers crossed those things are sorted ASAP so we can stop talking about VAR every week.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I think it has shown in the EFL during the playoffs that it isn't VAR that's the problem, its the referees. These referees who aren't fit to call a game also tend to be awful decision makers and poor at using technology. Leave it to the refs again, and the game will die due to injustices and fans getting just as sick of refs as they do VAR.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't have a problem with VAR, I have a problem with the use of VAR. I would:

1) Only use it for 'clear and obvious' errors (as we were originally promised, I seem to recall). If it isn't clear and/or obvious, stick with the on-field decision.
2) Get rid of the '1 pixel' offside rule, replace with a 10cm margin of error, as I understand happens in other leagues in Europe - i.e. stick with the on-field decision to award a goal unless the offside is more than 10cm, rather that more than 1 pixel.

I honestly think VAR can be good, it just needs to be used properly, not for relentlessly triple-checking every decision.

That's the problem isn't it? The PGMOL (and Dermot Gallagher over and over again on Refwatch on SSN) insist that even a millimetre is clear and obvious offside. It is, and is therefore taken as an error by the referee. And that's what they can't get - because it's so marginal, the error is not clear and obvious.

Maybe they need another person in the VAR bunker, not a referee; perhaps an ex-player - whose job would be to tell the VAR which decisions are clear and obvious enough to be reviewed - and if the review isn't sanctioned the VAR does nothing.

Last edited:

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I think it has shown in the EFL during the playoffs that it isn't VAR that's the problem, its the referees. These referees who aren't fit to call a game also tend to be awful decision makers and poor at using technology. Leave it to the refs again, and the game will die due to injustices and fans getting just as sick of refs as they do VAR.

We managed for 150 years without VAR and the game didn’t die. Football does not need VAR, just better referees.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

The trouble with this is you still have a threshold, so what happens when a decision goes against a team because a player was offside by 1 pixel over 10cm?

The best way to judge offside is review on screen, but without lines. Only call it offside if you can cleary see the player is offside enough to gain an advantage with the naked eye.

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It won't be binned off. We all wanted it at one point and it hasn't lived up to our expectations. There has been too much money spent, jobs created, and rules changed at this point to just go back to what once was (and people weren't particularly happy with that anyway). The Premier League/PGMOL do have a duty now in my opinion to make it work and make it work properly.

There are difficult things to solve like offsides (personally, I think it is fine as it is - just the rules finally being properly applied). There are easier things to solve that really shouldn't be a factor any more - time it takes to make a decision, how the decision is communicated, etc. Fingers crossed those things are sorted ASAP so we can stop talking about VAR every week.

I take issue with that. I don't think we all wanted it as such, but we all thought it could be a good idea. The conversation used to go something like this:
"Wouldn't it be great if football could use video technology like other sports?"
"Yeah, it would be great. But how would you implement it though without ruining the flow of the game?"
"Yeah, good point."

They still haven't solved that issue. And our initial scepticism was before we even knew of all the rows that would be generated by the 'armpit offside' decisions.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
"Earlier this year, the president of Fifa, Gianni Infantino, even said it was good for the game. “Now if there is a doubt you check, you wait, you see and that’s the adrenaline that makes football how it is: the waiting for a result”.

Get f*cked mate. The officials can't use it properly so bloody bin it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
VAR will never make everyone happy. Every adjustment people suggest is either just moving the line and the contrvoersy/complaints will move to this new place. ("Judge offside by their feet!" people said, then there was a late season offside decision that showed one players foot was a pixel or two ahea odd the others causing people to complain). Then there are simply philosophical differences. Some people want it for everything, some for select decisions, then the fabled 'clear and obvious' which is subjective and what one person considers clear or obvious might be a bit too tight to call for someone else. If we get rid of it, people will point to errors as the sort that we should have VAR to solve but we threw the baby out with the bathwater.

This poll is what people claim. How many of them are actually being honest, though? When we were still at the amex there were plenty of people spouuting the cliche about not being able to celebrate anymore, yet they went crazy everytime the ball went in the goal (then a second time when our opponents kick off confirming it stands). Fans storming out at the end of the game ranting about how that's it they're not coming back, they've had with VA-effing-R, yet they come back the next week. I'm sure there are people who are reluctant to celebrate goals, and some who have given up their tickets, but it seems to me that it is a lot lower than those claiming it.

Not that either are a defence of VAR.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I take issue with that. I don't think we all wanted it as such, but we all thought it could be a good idea. The conversation used to go something like this:
"Wouldn't it be great if football could use video technology like other sports?"
"Yeah, it would be great. But how would you implement it though without ruining the flow of the game?"
"Yeah, good point."

They still haven't solved that issue. And our initial scepticism was before we even knew of all the rows that would be generated by the 'armpit offside' decisions.

I get what you're saying but that hypothetical does imply that people wanted a working VAR system before it was implemented. It made a lot of sense, we were seeing replays immediately, even in the ground, where the decisions were obviously wrong and couldn't be overturned. I think you are right, there are arguments that we couldn't have foreseen but also, that isn't really on the fans, the people behind the system need to make it work based on the feedback cos it isn't going anywhere soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here