Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] #SmokeFreeGB

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
A lot of media coverage on this today with yesterday's announcement that Oxfordshire wishes to go smoke free. I can appreciate many will feel this is a massive infringement on their rights but I can't help but think it's a massive infringement on mine when I'm sat outside a pub or restaurant and inhaling smoke. Without doubt the overall aim is to stop all smoking in the UK at some point in the very distant future, but at the moment they're saying not within seated areas outside. I find it hard to see a problem with this, as a non-smoker, but was always thought I was considerate when I did smoke 26 years ago ..... on the tube, buses, restaurants and pubs.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Living in London, I’d hazard a guess that I am affected by car fumes much much more than I am by second hand smoke in a pub garden etc. It just seems like going after smokers is an easy target, but not the real problem.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Good luck to [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]. I wish him well in his smokefree challenge.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Smacks of infringing on people's free choice to me.

I find that one meets a better class of punter in the smoking area of pubs. A camaraderie that is sadly long forgotten in society.

Social outcasts together.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Living in London, I’d hazard a guess that I am affected by car fumes much much more than I am by second hand smoke in a pub garden etc. It just seems like going after smokers is an easy target, but not the real problem.

Whilst I agree that petrol fumes are a bigger issue, my understanding is government are taking action on this, by banning the sale of petrol engines from 2035.

EDIT: 2030

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Back on subject I'm astonished that people haven't learned by now that prohibition NEVER works. The UK is supposedly weed free, cocaine free and MDMA free. Yeah, right :rolleyes: . If anything the smell of weed as I go for an afternoon or evening stroll along the seafront is stronger than ever.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm not a smoker but in a liberal, free democracy we should be allowed to do what they want provided we are not inconveniencing, harming or offending other people.

I used to hate smoking in public, now I hardly notice it. There are separate areas for smokers and the balance is about right. The key word is balance.

What worries me is once they've banned smokers who will they go after next? Reducing drink driving limit to at/around zero so you can't have a pint after the match, drive to a pub in the country or have a drink after work will be next.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
A lot of media coverage on this today with yesterday's announcement that Oxfordshire wishes to go smoke free. I can appreciate many will feel this is a massive infringement on their rights but I can't help but think it's a massive infringement on mine when I'm sat outside a pub or restaurant and inhaling smoke. Without doubt the overall aim is to stop all smoking in the UK at some point in the very distant future, but at the moment they're saying not within seated areas outside. I find it hard to see a problem with this, as a non-smoker, but was always thought I was considerate when I did smoke 26 years ago ..... on the tube, buses, restaurants and pubs.

Not so sure about that...

'In 2020/21, tobacco duty tax receipts in the United Kingdom amounted to approximately 9.96 billion British pounds, compared with 9.29 billion pounds in the previous financial year'

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
riding to work this morning, (wearing leather not lycra) . . . I got briefly stuck behind a stinky diesel Vectra, which was also belching clouds of sickly sweet something or other from the drivers window.

All bad I thought. . . . whilst accelerating past on my 55 year old 2 stroke smoke machine.

those VW diesel vans are disgusting polluters as well.

give me a waft of skunk from a transit any day.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm not a smoker but in a liberal, free democracy we should be allowed to do what they want provided we are not inconveniencing, harming or offending other people.

I used to hate smoking in public, now I hardly notice it. There are separate areas for smokers and the balance is about right. The key word is balance.

What worries me is once they've banned smokers who will they go after next? Reducing drink driving limit to at/around zero so you can't have a pint after the match, drive to a pub in the country or have a drink after work will be next.

Allowed to do pretty much nothing then.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

Absolutely spot on. I'm not a smoker either, but I feel people should have the choice. I am someone who likes to drink and I can definitely see alcohol being next on the hit list.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I vape and occasionally smoke. I have no problem with any bans that are justified on public health issues.

I was at my team's cricket match on Sunday and I think I was the only smoker there. I felt like a fag and automatically walked to a part of the pitch edge in which there were no kids or adults within about 30 yards. Felt like a bit of a pariah. So be it. Others shouldn't have to breath in my smoke.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I vape and occasionally smoke. I have no problem with any bans that are justified on public health issues.

I was at my team's cricket match on Sunday and I think I was the only smoker there. I felt like a fag and automatically walked to a part of the pitch edge in which there were no kids or adults within about 30 yards. Felt like a bit of a pariah. So be it. Others shouldn't have to breath in my smoke.

Good Lord, was has happened to the club. Time was when a fag and beer break was compulsory.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

the health puritans are already onto drink, lowering recommend drink consumption. 14 units is about 6 pints of anything above 3.5%, not even a pint a day.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
"First they came for the smokers and I did not protest for I was not a smoker. Then they came for my gin and tonic ...... AAAAGH!" (Jenny Eclair, I think).

I'm not a smoker (never have been) but like others I think it's a bit OTT. It'll be a ban on outdoor barbeques next. Walking through Preston Park on Bank Holiday Monday there were loads of people enjoying the sun and having a bit of a cookout. I thought it was great.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here