Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] End of season Fans' Forum

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I know of few people including a neighbour who dont have a computer and have old phones used in emergency when away from home. Sure main reason for bringing this in is to stop people passing ticket on when they dont go.
Sure club will have to accommodate these people and suggest more people inform club they dont have a smartphone.
I used a restaurant that insisted I downloaded there App to order and pay. Many will say that is the future but until it is I will not use that establishment again.

Not just restaurants. I had to download the Greene King app to order and pay at our local on Tuesday evening. I didn’t mind at all. It beats queuing. It’s also a big help to pubs given the recruitment problems they are facing at the moment.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
:lolol:
I actually got banned from Saturday morning pictures at that cinema :smile:

I don’t think we ever settled down to properly watch any of the British Film Institute movies.

Instead exploring the vast Kingswest including staff only space, finding an underground rink and generally pissing off the staff in their purple nylon attire.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I don’t think we ever settled down to properly watch any of the British Film Institute movies.

Instead exploring the vast Kingswest including staff only space, finding an underground rink and generally pissing off the staff in their purple nylon attire.

Vaguely remember going there with most of the lads from my class at junior school, we probably ended up in some sort of trouble :)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Vaguely remember going there with most of the lads from my class at junior school, we probably ended up in some sort of trouble :)

Our mum and dad collected us each Saturday, after they’d had a relaxing shop and visit to the Miss Selfridges coffee shop, unknowing that we’d been disruptive brats. With no interest in the films.

Funny to think that a whole host of future NSC’ers were kids in Brighton city centre at the same time, doing all sorts. ‘Acquiring’ goods from Woolworths, WHS, HMV and Virgin was a little industry.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Paul Barber said this about partnerships we have with clubs.

"Obviously we have got Union SG in Belgium, we have now got Hibs in Scotland, we have got a lower level partnership with a club in the United States where it is more about staff development than player development but there is a little bit of potential player development coming from there to us.

Does anyone know who the American club is?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

"Obviously we have got Union SG in Belgium, we have now got Hibs in Scotland, we have got a lower level partnership with a club in the United States where it is more about staff development than player development but there is a little bit of potential player development coming from there to us.

Cincinnati.

Long-term plan is that Jurgen Locadia will take over Brighton as playing manager in two years when GP moves to Barcelona.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Seacoast United, possibly:-

SUSC Boys and Girls Prepare for Brighton, UK

SUSC DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY RETURN FROM A TRIP OF A LIFETIME

BIGGEST TRIP ACROSS THE POND

SUSC ACADEMY COACHING STAFF

...SUSC coaches have worked with the best in the professional game in the UK, with Newcastle United and Everton in the English Premier League and with Gretna and Queen of the South in Scotland. The club has a close relationship with the Premier League's Brighton & Hove Albion. ...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You wouldn't BELIEVE how much shit you have to load on your phone (Googlepay for one) and how many permissions you have to give (permissions from your bank to use Googlepay for one) and how many options you have to set (Phone locking to be able to use Googlepay for one) for the damn thing to actually hang together. Pretty sure I'm not THAT much of a luddite, but felt distinctly uneasy at being coerced into jumping through all those bollocksy hoops - let alone the completely understandable covid hoops - before I could attend the Man City game. Strongly suspect many will give up mid-hoops. Strongly suspect also that the club will have an unpublicised Plan B for those that refuse to hoop-jump. Cos there's practically NO businesses that will turn away otherwise willing customers on account of aforesaid customers not being switched-on hipsters who live or die by their phone

In summary: if you strongly object to all that cash-free bolleaux that makes life far easier for the club and far more difficult for the 'customer' (in many cases) then just call up Customer Services and ask the simple question: 'Do you want my money or not?'. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the response :wink:

I’m sorry but as an old duffer in my 70s, I found it fairly easy to download my Man City ticket into my phone wallet.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
But the Albion plan revolves around smartphones rather than the battered old Nokia that my mum uses. According to that Oftel survey that you quote, 81% of users have a smartphone. If that stat is replicated by the Albion crowds, we're talking about 6,500 people, that's not an insignificant number.

I think it unlikely that the Albion demographic would match the national one. Having said that I don’t know whether that means there like be more or less smart phone users in a typical Amex crowd. Regardless and as I mentioned on the pub app thread it is expensive for businesses to make exceptions. Yet the Albion are prepared to do so.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009

I was looking up what Torbjorn Agdestein was doing now a days( I was shocked to see that hes 29) and I came across this.

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/1607525/academy-strengthens-links-with-scandinavian-clubs

I don't ever remember reading this article. I don't know if it has progressed any further but its another couple of teams ro keep an eye on.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think it unlikely that the Albion demographic would match the national one. Having said that I don’t know whether that means there like be more or less smart phone users in a typical Amex crowd. Regardless and as I mentioned on the pub app thread it is expensive for businesses to make exceptions. Yet the Albion are prepared to do so.

Smartphone usage amongst those who live in the south and in certain demographic groups (that can afford a season ticket ? ) is almost certainly higher than national average. Anyway as you say the Albion have said they are prepared to be flexible and have outlined plans for those who don’t have phone access.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I was looking up what Torbjorn Agdestein was doing now a days( I was shocked to see that hes 29) and I came across this.

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/1607525/academy-strengthens-links-with-scandinavian-clubs

I don't ever remember reading this article. I don't know if it has progressed any further but its another couple of teams ro keep an eye on.

Interesting stuff. Looks like that is for the much younger age groups (the coaches pictured from Albion are "foundation stage" coaches that look after youngsters up to under12s) and presumably covid stopped that tournament in Norway going ahead.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Smartphone usage amongst those who live in the south and in certain demographic groups (that can afford a season ticket ? ) is almost certainly higher than national average. Anyway as you say the Albion have said they are prepared to be flexible and have outlined plans for those who don’t have phone access.

Is there a statistic that goes with it or just an assumption on your part ?
The only stats I can find are figures of anything from 84 to 92 % of mobile phone users across the UK using smart phones. So let’s say there will be 2500 to 3000 home fans without the necessary technology plus of course the 3000 northerners in the away end :)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Is there a statistic that goes with it or just an assumption on your part ?
The only stats I can find are figures of anything from 84 to 92 % of mobile phone users across the UK using smart phones. So let’s say there will be 2500 to 3000 home fans without the necessary technology plus of course the 3000 northerners in the away end :)

In 2020, the vast majority (85%) of all adults used a smartphone and this rose to more than nine in
ten for those aged 16-54.
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/ass...ts-media-use-and-attitudes-report-2020-21.pdf

No stats re: Albion ticket holders - just assumption that they skew a little bit richer, ABC1 and are from the South so i think the percentage of non smartphone users will be smaller than projected from National surveys (ie:fewer than 15% or so of 30,000) .
But agreed there will be exceptions, and Albion have it appears made plans to support those ticket holders but the idea that its an unworkable or out of the ordinary idea isn't backed up by the data.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here