Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Where & Who are the next great English Coaches

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I know where one of them is :smile:

I had never heard of him until a few weeks before we signed him so I am guessing there are more out there who just need to be given a chance. It seems Johnny Foreigner is the go to for PL clubs though except for struggling clubs looking for a dinosaur Red Adair to save them.

Currently just the four in the PL and except for Smith they have all been part of the relegation battle this season. I may be biased but only one is likely to improve and be in line for a Top Six club....maybe

Potter
Dyche
Smith
Bruce

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Leyland DAF?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I know where one of them is :smile:

I had never heard of him until a few weeks before we signed him so I am guessing there are more out there who just need to be given a chance. It seems Johnny Foreigner is the go to for PL clubs though except for struggling clubs looking for a dinosaur Red Adair to save them.

Currently just the four in the PL and except for Smith they have all been part of the relegation battle this season. I may be biased but only one is likely to improve and be in line for a Top Six club....maybe

Potter
Dyche
Smith
Bruce

For "English" you're about spot on, though Smith is also decent IMO. But substitute the word "British" and suddenly you've got Rogers and Moyes who have both pulled way above their weight this season. Allow "English" to manage anywhere and Gerrard has restored pride to Rangers, albeit in a shit league.

I suspect the article has focussed on "English" because of the Euros but a really good question would extend it to the Scots. Scotland - in fact just working class Glasgow - produced some of the very best coaches and managers of yesteryear.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
For "English" you're about spot on, though Smith is also decent IMO. But substitute the word "British" and suddenly you've got Rogers and Moyes who have both pulled way above their weight this season. Allow "English" to manage anywhere and Gerrard has restored pride to Rangers, albeit in a shit league.

I suspect the article has focussed on "English" because of the Euros but a really good question would extend it to the Scots. Scotland - in fact just working class Glasgow - produced some of the very best coaches and managers of yesteryear.

Very true actually, Scotland doesn't seem to produce the same quality, or number, of either players or managers, that it once did. It would be interesting to analyse the reasons why.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here