Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Another PCN Advice Thread With Photo's And Hope And Disbelief And Injustice...

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Dear NSC.

The pics speak for themselves. Twas the eve of our defeat of England's champions. The cars in front of me were going really really slow and I needed to turn left. Lewes road was virtually empty.

Do I cough up £30 for being in a bus lane (£6 per metre travelled) or scream for the ombudsman and risk a £60 bill if not found in my favour??

PCN1.png
PCN2.png
PCN3.png
PCN4.png

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Seems a bit harsh given the fact that by the point you had fully traversed the line you were permitted to filter into that lane anyway.

But the fact there is a bus approaching behing you, albeit some distance away, would probably not help your case.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not when you've effectively undertaken someone as well. At the point of entering the all vehicles area you are in their blind spot.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Dear NSC.

The pics speak for themselves. Twas the eve of our defeat of England's champions. The cars in front of me were going really really slow and I needed to turn left. Lewes road was virtually empty.

Do I cough up £30 for being in a bus lane (£6 per metre travelled) or scream for the ombudsman and risk a £60 bill if not found in my favour??

Does seem a bit of a 'jobsworth' decision, but for £30 I'd just cough up and satisfy myself by wishing hives (or something equally painful) him (or her)!......:shrug:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Frustrating and annoying, but technically you're in the wrong – and I can't see any grounds you'd have for getting it over-turned.

As others have said, £30 isn't exactly a crippling amount either, so I'd just curse 'em under your breath and pay up.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
A reminder to all of us how easy it is to incur a fine from a nasty camera for doing something so minor.
Your misfortune will make me think twice about saving a few seconds in future.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You undertake in a bus lane because “ the cars in front of me were going really really slow and you needed to turn left.”

Quite astonishing. Why on earth do you think you should/could challenge this? I personally think you should be fined £200, have your car confiscated and be given a bicycle.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I always thought there was some sort of rule that technically the last x hundred yards of a bid lane were unenforceable but probably just hearsay.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I got the exact same further down the same road at the turning under the viaduct a couple of years ago.

Bang to rights, pay the fine :shrug:

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Not when you've effectively undertaken someone as well. At the point of entering the all vehicles area you are in their blind spot.

Yeah that's a fair point but bear in mind this all occurred at about 10mph. The camera is attached to traffic lights that were red at the time. Approaching traffic lights at low speed in lane 1 will often require you to pass vehicles that are in lane 2.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Some sympathy but the law’s the law. Pay up. Turning left at the bottom of Edward Street is almost impossible without going in the Bus lane when there are cars queuing.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
You undertake in a bus lane because “ the cars in front of me were going really really slow and you needed to turn left.”

Quite astonishing. Why on earth do you think you should/could challenge this? I personally think you should be fined £200, have your car confiscated and be given a bicycle.

As said before, not technically undertaking as I'm approaching a red traffic light at low speed (the camera is attached to it). I don't understand why you have put 'needed' in italics? The left turn at the traffic lights was the reason I was moving left as that's where I 'needed' to go in order to attend possibly the best match I've ever seen in the Amex.

I have got 3 bikes. A mountain bike, an ebike on which I commute 18 miles, 5 days per week, and a pub bike :tosser:

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
No way you'll avoid it. So.might as well pay up now rather than pay more later. Really annoying, as are the undertaking comments, but no point in having a fight you can't possibly win.

Has there always been a £/m aspect to bus land fines?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Dear NSC.

View attachment 137217
View attachment 137218
View attachment 137219
View attachment 137220

Yes the pics do speak for themselves- you went in the bus Lane - sorry but you should pay up

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I have slight sympathy for you. Looking at the timing the photos are over 3 seconds apart. As long as you were turning left and not flying through to rejoin the main road, which I see regularly. I'm also pleased to see that people jumping the queues in the Lewes Road bus lane do get fined. Now, how do we slow the taxis down who seem to think they are exempt from the 30 mph speed limit?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
This has happened to me and a few people I know at various spots along lewes Road, beware!
Also the very spot in your photo changed speed limits last year and the camera turned from a Going through a red light to a Speed camera overnight with no signs or warnings. I ended up going on a speed awareness course and reckon at least 50% of people there got caught at the same spot!

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Damned annoying but probably more cost effective to take the hit.
Interesting road markings though - looks like traffic is being directed into the cycle lane! ( but less confusing than the shambles of a money grabbing enterprise at Steine Gardens with their Bus Gate).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
As said before, not technically undertaking as I'm approaching a red traffic light at low speed (the camera is attached to it). I don't understand why you have put 'needed' in italics? The left turn at the traffic lights was the reason I was moving left as that's where I 'needed' to go in order to attend possibly the best match I've ever seen in the Amex.

I have got 3 bikes. A mountain bike, an ebike on which I commute 18 miles, 5 days per week, and a pub bike :tosser:

I see the problem... did you forget you were in a car that day rather than on one of your bicycles ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here