Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How Tall Is The Amex?

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
First thing Sunday morning:

Me: Morning son.
Son: Daddy, how high is the Amex?

Googled it couldn't find an answer. From the pitch until you meet the West stand roof at the halfway line. I guessed about 25 metres. How far out am I?

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Bloody kids nowadays.
Here's the formula.
Get him to work it out himself with a few pitch and stand dimensions really available from the Club website.
AABFB3EA-C6A6-430C-ABDA-C942B6E4715B.png

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
First thing Sunday morning:

Me: Morning son.
Son: Daddy, how high is the Amex?

Googled it couldn't find an answer. From the pitch until you meet the West stand roof at the halfway line. I guessed about 25 metres. How far out am I?

Isn't it dug about three storeys into the ground? In which case, at sea level, it's not as tall as BDB :moo:

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
My 6 year old daughter hit me with "what are shadows made of?" That's a tricky one to answer.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
.. what was your answer?

I got as far as....

They aren't made of anything, it's more a question of what they really are. It's where whatever it is that's causing the shadow is blocking the light from the sun causing a dark spot behind it where the light can't get to properly.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
I got as far as....

They aren't made of anything, it's more a question of what they really are. It's where whatever it is that's causing the shadow is blocking the light from the sun causing a dark spot behind it where the light can't get to properly.

I can only tip my hat to you. Genius question and a bloody good stab at a reply.. well it's got me fooled that you know all about it Something tells me tho' that you have a very smart daughter who is way ahead of me !

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I can only tip my hat to you. Genius question and a bloody good stab at a reply.. well it's got me fooled that you know all about it Something tells me tho' that you have a very smart daughter who is way ahead of me !

:lolol::lolol: She is smart, she can read a conversation (argument) very well and think of 100's of counter arguments as to why she shouldn't have to do something. Such as pick her clothes up, tidy up, get dressed in the morning, brush her teeth etc.

She keeps me on my toes and I have to also keep myself one step ahead to avoid being dragged into an argument.

It's a good job I actually know a bit about light as I work with lasers all day.... it did catch me off guard though and as I tried to explain light in a way a 6 year old would understand the look on her face was brilliant. I could see she was taking it all in. I just glad I didn't have a counter question from her when I'd finished!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I got as far as....

Thank your lucky stars he didn't ask what light is made of!!!

edit: Oops, just seen the previous post.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
if they aren't made of anything then how can you see them?

You can't "see" a shadow in the same way you can't "see" light. You only see what it light bounces off. You just see what the light can't get to.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I got as far as....

Poor lass now she thinks the only thing that makes a shadow is light from the sun, what about the shadow in her room at night? Eh smarty pants.

A shadow is a dark area where light from a light source is blocked by an opaque object. It occupies all of the three-dimensional volume behind an object with light in front of it. The cross section of a shadow is a two-dimensional silhouette, or a reverse projection of the object blocking the light

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Poor lass now she thinks the only thing that makes a shadow is light from the sun, what about the shadow in her room at night? Eh smarty pants.

A shadow is a dark area where light from a light source is blocked by an opaque object. It occupies all of the three-dimensional volume behind an object with light in front of it. The cross section of a shadow is a two-dimensional silhouette, or a reverse projection of the object blocking the light

We were in the garden at the time. But she understands the principle. I could have gone with your description but she is 6.:lolol:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
We were in the garden at the time. But she understands the principle. I could have gone with your description but she is 6.:lolol:

Fair comment :lolol:
But not to mention the angle of the light dictates the lengthening of the shadow. Or if watching the football at Newcastle with the sun out their roof throws such a matrix of a shadow over the pitch it's unwatchable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here