Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Pubs and Restaurants in Weymouth?

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Hi all

Off to Weymouth in late June for a few days.

Any tips for decent ale type pubs/restaurants in the area (all price ranges!)

You guys always come up with the goods (an honourable mention to
Harry Wilson's T. here for last year's suggestions!)

Ta in advance

:albion2:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Hi all

Off to Weymouth in late June for a few days.

Any tips for decent ale type pubs/restaurants in the area (all price ranges!)

You guys always come up with the goods (an honourable mention to
Harry Wilson's T. here for last year's suggestions!)

Ta in advance

:albion2:

My old stamping ground, being brought up on Portland. I returned fairly regularly to visit my Gran until recently.
I find the cafe/restaurant along the beach (ten mins drive/bus, hour walk) at Overcombe is great. Local place with fresh seafood caught by then chef. Beer on the beach tables outside and a plate of seafood. Perfecto.

There is the harvester style place up the hill “The Spyglass”. Okay for a quick bite. The views are the only real reason to go there though.

Weymouth town and the harbour, you can just stroll along and there are plenty of great restaurants but I’d recommend the seafood place opposite the old brewery on the far side of the harbour. Cant recall the name, something to do with ship’s knots.

Going there again this summer with some mates for a long weekend. Will head over to Portland and get fish and chips in the restaurant under Portland Bill. Again, fine for spot of lunch. There’s a few new pubs and restaurants opened up on the island since the Olympic water sports were held there, Portland was on its arse before that came along.

Plenty of great places and still the best fish and chips I’ve ever had from the Harbour chippy.

Enjoy.

P.S I think you can even book to dine in Portland prison these days!

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Met my second ever gf in Weymouth 21 years ago. I think the club was called rendez vous. I use to visit her every other week for 6 months and couldn't believe how quiet and grim the place got in the winter.

I think there is a nice pub on the beach but other than that can't remember much standing out. I did enjoy driving to portland and seeing the lighthouse. Also went to a pub there, however was filled with odd local types.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Met my second ever gf in Weymouth 21 years ago. I think the club was called rendez vous. I use to visit her every other week for 6 months and couldn't believe how quiet and grim the place got in the winter.

I think there is a nice pub on the beach but other than that can't remember much standing out. I did enjoy driving to portland and seeing the lighthouse. Also went to a pub there, however was filled with odd local types.

Rendevous is still there!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
View attachment 137182

Weymouth harbour is a special place, day or night. Nothe Fort near the harbour also worth a look around, an impressive battery of guns on the battlements.

If you go to Portland I’d recommend the little boat to take you over, nice way to get there, although there is a causeway along Chesil Beach.

It’s a lovely place .

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Wow... is it still called rendez vous? I would love to pop back there to reminisce.

See the pic above! You can see it. Still there :)

Yes, it’s most definitely a summer place. I’ve spent a few winter weekends there. Not nice.

The pubs are nicer on the far side of the harbour, more traditional.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I live along the coast in Poole and while I'm no expert on the area there's some good places around the harbour. One place I always recommend to friends coming down is Abbotsbury sub tropical gardens, its an amazing place to visit.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham

Is that place decent? I'm looking for a new Indian to try, I'm down there next week.

I have used Shalim's (Commercial Road) on my numerous visits in the past few years but I'm getting tired of it.

Cafe India just out of town I have also tried and it was like eating in someone's dining room - unlicensed but take your own alcoholic drink if I remember correctly.

Seabeats on the front is a primarily a seafood restaurant and recommended, not the prettiest place but the food is excellent.

I was there at the beginning of the month and quite a few eating and drinking places have closed around the station area.

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
Is that place decent? I'm looking for a new Indian to try, I'm down there next week.

I have used Shalim's (Commercial Road) on my numerous visits in the past few years but I'm getting tired of it.

Cafe India just out of town I have also tried and it was like eating in someone's dining room - unlicensed but take your own alcoholic drink if I remember correctly.

Seabeats on the front is a primarily a seafood restaurant and recommended, not the prettiest place but the food is excellent.

I was there at the beginning of the month and quite a few eating and drinking places have closed around the station area.

I’ve not been there for a couple of years, but it’s always had a very good reputation.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I remember drinking Parsnip wine on (too) many occasions in the Black Dog.

Probably gone now, but was a rough kind of place, back in the day.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I remember drinking Parsnip wine on (too) many occasions in the Black Dog.

Probably gone now, but was a rough kind of place, back in the day.

Black Dog was def still there the last time I went. I seem to recall it being the oldest pub in Weymouth. I think ?

In conclusion; for my money, the harbour and the Old Brewery, across the harbour bridge are the best. The old brewery has a great “snooper’s paradise” flea market and great pubs and restaurants. And it’s where the boat leaves for Portland. Yeah, special place :)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here