Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Breakdown on yellow lines

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
It's not been a great day. My family and I have driven to Newlyn for a much needed long weekend break. On the drive down I noticed that changing gear was getting problematic. To cut to the chase the clutch went just as we reached our holiday home (the steep roads to the house killed it). I've managed to roll back down the hill and put the car in a safe place, but it's on double yellows. Is it possible to inform the council and get an exemption from parking tickets? I know that if I call the AA they only come to the same incident one time, so doing that would mean having to get towed home. Also a new clutch is a big job. Not something a local garage can do quickly, especially over a bank holiday weekend. Our house rental ends Monday and I'm due back at work Tuesday morning so i could possibly just call the AA on Monday evening and get towed home then. (If pick up is even possible given the location)

Plus' - we actually got here.
Minus' - just about everything else.

Thanks.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why do you assume no local garage can replace a clutch? Also, it's going to cost a fortune (my Yaris had a new clutch last year and it was £800+). Get in touch with a garage tomorrow and see what can be sorted.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Why do you assume no local garage can replace a clutch? Also, it's going to cost a fortune (my Yaris had a new clutch last year and it was £800+). Get in touch with a garage tomorrow and see what can be sorted.

Sorry. It's been a long day and this happening when we arrived at 10pm was a tough one to take. I just want to spend some time relaxing, not sorting out another problem.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
point of order, double yellow implies its not a safe place to park. though it may seem so. could put a note and see if you get lucky avoiding a ticket. any garage should be able to replace a clutch if they arent booked, at least tow it somewhere even if they cant fix it. cost likely to be the same where/when ever you do it.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
It's not been a great day. My family and I have driven to Newlyn for a much needed long weekend break. On the drive down I noticed that changing gear was getting problematic. To cut to the chase the clutch went just as we reached our holiday home (the steep roads to the house killed it). I've managed to roll back down the hill and put the car in a safe place, but it's on double yellows. Is it possible to inform the council and get an exemption from parking tickets? I know that if I call the AA they only come to the same incident one time, so doing that would mean having to get towed home. Also a new clutch is a big job. Not something a local garage can do quickly, especially over a bank holiday weekend. Our house rental ends Monday and I'm due back at work Tuesday morning so i could possibly just call the AA on Monday evening and get towed home then. (If pick up is even possible given the location)

Thanks.
What is the make and model of your car , the average cost of a clutch replacement across the UK is just under 460 quid as posted by WhoCanFixMyCar.com who will give you an instant personal quote from local trusted garages . The job takes a good few hours but is easily done by a competent garage .

Hope things work out for you , best of luck .

Last edited:

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset

I`m no expert but the Yaris has a transverse engine , i believe that makes the whole job trickier and more labour intensive .

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Thanks all. No idea what I'm going to do yet but my girls are so excited to be here i'm tempted to just accept the consequences. That may be wine talking but hey-ho.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Go to the pub and offer a couple of lads a pint or two to help you push it off the double yellows to somewhere where you are allowed to park? This will give you time to figure out the best solution without worrying about tickets (or clamping/towing).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Thanks all. No idea what I'm going to do yet but my girls are so excited to be here i'm tempted to just accept the consequences. That may be wine talking but hey-ho.
And you are in Newlyn? Only good thing in Newlyn is the chip shop by the mini roundabout on the main road in! [emoji6]

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bite the bullet and get the AA to take the car to your home now. Hire a car on a one way rental for the weekend and to get home?

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
Follow Goldstone’s advice but see if you can find somewhere to get it fixed, they might even have a runaround that they can lend to you. If there’s no way to get it fixed you’ve still got the relay service to fall back on or if you’re lucky the AA may be able to repair it.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Get your recovery company to come and move it even if it’s home - does your cover give you a hire car for a few days in the event your car can’t be repaired at the roadside?

What do you mean by your clutch has “gone”?

Is it slipping or have you got no pedal?

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Get your recovery company to come and move it even if it’s home - does your cover give you a hire car for a few days in the event your car can’t be repaired at the roadside?

What do you mean by your clutch has “gone”?

Is it slipping or have you got no pedal?

Can get pedal down, can't get into gear. Could be clutch/gearbox/anything I guess.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can get pedal down, can't get into gear. Could be clutch/gearbox/anything I guess.

No mechanic but it could be something like a clutch master or slave cylinder which on most cars is a bit faffy but not hugely expensive. No doubt someone who knows about these things will be along shortly

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Without wishing to scare the OP I just had a new clutch & flywheel( whatever that is) replaced setting me back £1,000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Thanks.

Do the AA need you to accompany them on the tow home?

If not get them to tow home, put keys through your door or nominate a friend to be at other end, it’s such a shame to spoil your well earned break!

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Without wishing to scare the OP I just had a new clutch & flywheel( whatever that is) replaced setting me back £1,000

Money is one (big)thing but I'm more pissed off that I'm now on hols, with no motor, and no way to get home.

AA en route.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
If you tell the police, can’t they just put a “police aware” sticker on it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here