Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Fred Dinenage

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
Watched the lunchtime regional news for the first time in a while and the legend that is Fred Dinenage was presenting.

I knew he was getting on a bit but was amazed to read that he’s is 78.

I guess Bruce Forsyth’s longevity illustrates that giving up on TV must be a difficult choice to make but there must come a time when relaxing in the garden is more attractive than reading the local news.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
When I first moved to Sussex many years ago from Manhattan, Fred was presenting the news . Can’t believe he’s still doing it , what a legend .

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Bizarrely he featured in a documentary about Broadmoor I watched this week.

Initially I assumed all those years of having to introduce sports bulletins featuring nothing but Southampton had finally taken their toll but apparently he was Ronnie Kray’s biographer?

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I'm relieved.

I really thought this was going to be either a rest in peace thread, or a "has been accused of X, Y, Z in the 70s thread"

Phew - he's alive and legend status retained!

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Not sure how he gets away with his 'HOW' sign off hand gesture at the end of every 6pm news given the alert on cultural appropriation by the PC brigade but I'm kind of glad he does.

Dineage is a local TV legend and possibly the only Pompey fan I have any time for.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Well he wasn't a very young man when he was presenting How? back in the 1970's, so it's easy to see he must be knocking on the door of 80 by now.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Oscar;9878509 Dineage is a local TV legend and possibly the only Pompey fan I have any time for.[/QUOTE said:
Agreed..........you can't really 'not like ' him.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Well he wasn't a very young man when he was presenting How? back in the 1970's, so it's easy to see he must be knocking on the door of 80 by now.

Yeah, without looking it up he was about 24 when he started on How.

Talking about How, anyone else remember when NSC had a bit of a 'thing' about the name Bunty? I'm going back about 20 years.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
but there must come a time when relaxing in the garden is more attractive than reading the local news.

I dunno, I reckon reading the local news must be a pretty cushy job when you're a legend like Dinenage. Probably rocks up at about half 4, does his bit and is out the door by 7.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I dunno, I reckon reading the local news must be a pretty cushy job when you're a legend like Dinenage. Probably rocks up at about half 4, does his bit and is out the door by 7.

That would be an hours overtime as well!

Pompey Ron Burgundy.

Christ, what a thought. :laugh:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here