Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] 10 Sussex pubs with gardens, off the beaten track

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
0/10. When the first one said the Royal Oak, I thought it was going to be the one at Wineham, which used to be fantastic with cask beer straight from the barrel. Food? No idea. Pubs are for drinking, aren't they?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
0/10. When the first one said the Royal Oak, I thought it was going to be the one at Wineham, which used to be fantastic with cask beer straight from the barrel. Food? No idea. Pubs are for drinking, aren't they?

The Royal Oak in Whineham was a staple as a kid, change in wooden pots, no proper till, ale from the barrel . . . it's a long time since it was as we recall, last time I went about 5-6 years ago it was run by townies and a jazzed up Ploughmans was £15.

0/10 for me, I don't generally drive to pubs. and I have a good selection within walking distance of my house.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Still does the beer in casks.......have eaten there a couple of times, fairly small menu but very good food. Up until a couple of years ago my running club used to have an annual local evening run around there (some lovely trails behind the pub and out to the river) followed by a bbq the landlord did for us. Always good.

3/10 for me on the list, only the Half Moon at Plumpton recently though. Good grub and a massive garden at the back. Great location for a walk too.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Yep, l most certainly think that the Royal Oak at Wineham deserves to make the list.. Just about my fave local pub, a 45 minute "stroll" or so across the fields from me, lovely in the summer months, a tad arduous in the winter though!

Ask for a pint of best, and the landlord still has to disappear into a back room to draw it straight from the barrel. The dining room, if you want to call it that, is very small, and tends to serve quite simple fare, whatever is available on the day really, but their Ploghman's lunch is to be specially recommended.. A large outside grassed area at the front which you can eat and drink in, in good whether too.

Situated just down Wineham Lane, between Bolney and Cowfold, it's well worth a visit if you wander this way.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
3/10

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The Ginger Fox used to be a National Petrol station where you'd get your Smurf figurines

I was looking for a photo of that Garage to show one of my kids and couldn't find one. IIRC it was also thatched. Anyone ? And while we are on the subject, whose is the Vineyard that got planted out behind the Ginger Fox a couple of years ago ?

Oh and 4/10

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
4/10 mostly as a result of playing Sunday cricket all over Sussex.

Castle Inn near Bodium used to be lovely back in the day, no idea what it is like or if its still even open.

Does the Black Rabbit in Arundel count as off the beaten track?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I was looking for a photo of that Garage to show one of my kids and couldn't find one. IIRC it was also thatched. Anyone ? And while we are on the subject, whose is the Vineyard that got planted out behind the Ginger Fox a couple of years ago ?

Oh and 4/10

hi-fli.jpg

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Had my Dad's post-funeral tea'n'buns (or Harveys and Roast to be more precise) at the Cricketers in Berwick.

How about the Noah's Ark Inn at Lurgashall, loved that place - but I suppose the garden is actually the village green, so might not count.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Yep, l most certainly think that the Royal Oak at Wineham deserves to make the list.. Just about my fave local pub, a 45 minute "stroll" or so across the fields from me, lovely in the summer months, a tad arduous in the winter though!

Ask for a pint of best, and the landlord still has to disappear into a back room to draw it straight from the barrel. The dining room, if you want to call it that, is very small, and tends to serve quite simple fare, whatever is available on the day really, but their Ploghman's lunch is to be specially recommended.. A large outside grassed area at the front which you can eat and drink in, in good whether too.

Situated just down Wineham Lane, between Bolney and Cowfold, it's well worth a visit if you wander this way.
Simple fare? It's the only pub in Sussex I've been to which had Foie Gras on the menu once. It's ok, like the one in Ditchling and Firl I find them a bit designed for a Londoners idea of a country pub

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
4/10

Had some serious post-cricket sessions in the Half Moon and Eight Bells. Ginger Fox is our go to family gastro pub.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Ginger Fox is OK but overrated, couple on a real ale trail, Berwick and Plumpton again OK if you like country pubs, is the Jevington one the old restaurant famous for the banoffee pies? If so that was massively disappointing as a restaurant.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Ginger Fox is OK but overrated, couple on a real ale trail, Berwick and Plumpton again OK if you like country pubs, is the Jevington one the old restaurant famous for the banoffee pies? If so that was massively disappointing as a restaurant.

The Hungry Monk at Jevington actually invented Banoffee pie and was one of my favourite restaurants :annoyed:

Sadly, it shut down years ago (over 10, I think) and was converted to cottages :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here