Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Where have all the insects gone?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Two sides to this I think.

Yes, insects are in decline.

The reason you don't see as many splattered on your windscreen though is due to the more 'aero' design of modern cars. Apparently.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Two sides to this I think.

Yes, insects are in decline.

The reason you don't see as many splattered on your windscreen though is due to the more 'aero' design of modern cars. Apparently.

Very good point. I suspect industrial use of DDT and agent orange are also in decline so a genuine reduction in insects is unlikely. Nothinh insecty has splatted my windscreen for years.

What I'd like to know, though, in Faversham, where have all the bats gone? This time of year at dusk the sky over my garden would be thick with them. Now, nothing. Not even a Bruce Wayne.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Mrs Wz has gone away for the weekend and left me with a fly problem. Hundreds of the little f***ers on the Basil and Parsley on the kitchen windowsill and even a big Japanese money plant at the other end of the kitchen has them.

Suggestions ?

And please don't let me down NSC

PS I have two bat boxes under the eaves and nothing in 5 bloody years !

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Obviously, they are in hiding, waiting for you to wash your car and are in cahoots with the f****** pigeons.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Insects are scarce in the UK this spring and the main reason being the cold spell instead of the 'usual' spring weather. Plants late to flower, no pollen for insects, no insects for the birds to feed young so fledglings way down in number this year.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Springwatch has said Spring is two weeks late this year because the temperature has been lower. It will be warmer this weekend so the hibernating insects will be zooming around soon.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i like the aerodynamics idea, but more likely its simply the cold weather. last time i wash the car (last autumn) there were plenty across the front bumper and grill.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Very good point. I suspect industrial use of DDT and agent orange are also in decline so a genuine reduction in insects is unlikely. Nothinh insecty has splatted my windscreen for years.

What I'd like to know, though, in Faversham, where have all the bats gone? This time of year at dusk the sky over my garden would be thick with them. Now, nothing. Not even a Bruce Wayne.

Is it though?

Quite a few seem to disagree.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decline_in_insect_populations

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

"The declines are far from uniform. In some localities, there have been reports of increases in overall insect population, and some types of insects appear to be increasing in abundance across the world."

It's just the way of things :shrug:

The explanation for loss of car windscreen insect splatter is surely aerodynamics/car design.

Faversham is awash with bees, ants, mozzies and other weird things.

Stand by for NSC's famous 'flying ant day' thread coming to an internet in yoir area, soon :wink:

Would still like to know who took our bats, though ???

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Loss of habitat I guess - same as for many species of birds (loss of habitat for them, plus reduced numbers of insects available to eat) We're starting to get the idea of conservation now - though not on a micro scale I'm afraid. How many gardens are being covered by decking and/or paved - sometimes for parking the ever increasing number of cars, often just to save the 'bother' of mowing and trimming?
My border on one side, for instance, is a big old privet hedge, at least 40 or 50 years old, full of assorted bugs and insects and the odd bird's nest - and I'm being continuously harangued by my neighbour to rip it out and pit up a nice sterile fence so that his garden space is 6 inches or a foot wider (depending how much and how often he trims it.) Mental - some people just don't get the connection between conservation (which somebody else should do, and they're absolutely in favour of it) and their own back gardens.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Mrs Wz has gone away for the weekend and left me with a fly problem. Hundreds of the little f***ers on the Basil and Parsley on the kitchen windowsill and even a big Japanese money plant at the other end of the kitchen has them.

Suggestions ?

And please don't let me down NSC

PS I have two bat boxes under the eaves and nothing in 5 bloody years !

Got one of these last summer.........it’s brilliant, especially when people don’t know it’s there and something flies in :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BACKTURE-M...r&qid=1622145019&sprefix=Fly+,aps,169&sr=8-55

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill

We have plenty here in BUG. Saw them out for the first time this year a couple of weeks ago.

There is 2 big oak trees at the end of our garden in someone else's property and the bats whizz between them all night picking up insects that stray too far from the foliage. They should be out very soon making the wife nervous:lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This year is unique with a very cold April and May. May average temp’s 4.3C below May 2020, also with rain, wind and a lack of sun.

Normally we’d be plagued with flies by now. A lack of flying insects, leaving a dearth of food for bats and some birds.

I’m sure they’ll arrive soon with this spell of sustained sunny weather.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here