Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This is what your licence fee goes on

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
My Licence Fee - a mere £3 per week (less than the price of a pint) - goes on so much more; dramas, documentaries, current affairs programmes, Match of the Day, Spring-watch, chat-shows, Gardeners' World, Later With Jools Holland, films, etc.

Any one of these programmes is infinitely more interesting and entertaining than your pathetic BBC-bashing post.

Are you a Troll?

You forgot to add Citizen Khan and Micheal McIntyre.
Both totally side splitting comedy.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
And the block/ignore function does its work yet again. Long live the BBC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
BBC sinking like the titanic so far out of touch its unbelievable roll on GB news
Regards
DF

I love the BBC. They get things wrong now and then, but throughout history they have given tremendous service to this country, home and abroad. Perhaps my love for them is a little too fawning.

You love far right ideology, throughout the years it has done tremendous damage to this country, home and abroad. Perhaps your love for this is also a little too fawning.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
This is brilliant. I have a phrase book for Vanuatu/Solomon/Papua pidgin which appears to be quite different. Humans are adaptable:smile:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Surely anything that expands the BBC's reach and means more people can engage with it should be a cause for celebration?

On the subject matter in the article I hope the young lady makes a swift and speedy recovery and continues her good work striving for the equality her community deserves.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Very happy to sing the praises of BBC World News America which is head and shoulders above any of the American news broadcasters.

Although it is not funded by the license fee, instead they use subscriptions from cable TV and advertising revenue. It's actually quite weird seeing adverts on a BBC channel

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
If you don't like what is being done with your licence by the BBC, just wait until you see what the government is doing with your taxes!

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
I would happily pay the licence fee to be able to watch the iPlayer abroad without having to faff around with a VPN!
I’m sure there is a way they could set it up and reading posts on ex-pat groups, I’m sure there are a lot of people who would buy into it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The BBC has it's faults. They are far outweighed by it's benefits. And it is superb value for money. Superb.

As an aside, it's encouraging to see attempts to resurrect Bear Pit style threads on the BB is being met with a resounding "SHUT UP".

I have no doubt the BBC will ride out the current right wing attempt to shut down it's un-biased news, prestige entertainment and educational programming.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
"Paid for the by licence fee" is a relatively simplistic and inaccurate phrase these days. I partly blame the BBC for that because it fails to actively communicate where it's income comes from.

The reality is that whatever the service cost above it was very well covered by it's commercial activity abroad. All of the profits going back into the BBC to subsidise the licence fee.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
This is brilliant. I have a phrase book for Vanuatu/Solomon/Papua pidgin which appears to be quite different. Humans are adaptable:smile:

I only know Nigerian pidgin from personal experience, but from what I can gather, pidgin English across the Anglophone West African countries differs. Listening to Palm Wine music from Sierre Leone I can hear a difference, but it all seems quite similar on the surface. I suspect most of it translates across countries as English is the Lingua Franca for Anglophone countries with multiple tribal languages. But pidgin is really the street form of that Lingua Franca, so much of it will move and change pretty fast I suspect. Just like our street slang here.
What surprised me in Nigeria is how Jamaican patois didn't seem to translate too easily. Yet to me, a complete outsider, I can hear quite a few similarities. I bet in London, patois and pidgin mixes quite readily though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here