Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] ***Sussex v Northants - match thread***

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A big day for Sussex today as they welcome spectators back to the ground. Unfortunately, they won't be able to see Ollie Robinson, who's on England duty, Phil Salt, still recovering from his bike injury, and Chris Jordan, who's in quarantine.

Sussex squad: Ben Brown (c), Jamie Atkins, Jack Carson, Tom Clark, Henry Crocombe, George Garton, Tom Haines, Travis Head, Stuart Meaker, Ali Orr, Delray Rawlins, Aaron Thomason, Stiaan van Zyl

There's a good chance that we'll see Orr make his debut - he scored two fifties for the Seconds last week - Clark or Rawlins haven't scored enough this season. One of Crocombe and Atkins will miss out, I suspect.

Bummer about Salt, he was meant to be back by the end of May and it looks like CJ is being kept back for the 20/20. That's a shame, we're not over-burdened with experience in FC cricket.

We'll be lucky to get a draw from this, the weather looks too good to save us

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I had just looked at the Sussex website to see if you could buy tickets to any for day games and got distracted by the thought of paying £80 to see Glenn Hoddle.

Salt has been a big miss so far, not just for the runs he scores but because he can mess with the bowlers minds and field as he's always looking to score. That said the opening two aren't the problem but Salt would take the pressure of those below

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I looked up weather and decided to go to cricket today. I know limited number are allowed for this game but after looking at website can see no information how to buy a ticket. As usual site plastered with information as to how to buy tickets for 20/20. I do get fed up with lack of interest by club to push 4 day cricket but you would have thought first game with supporters allowed it would be headlines on site. I did manage to find info about squad for the game but nothing about how to buy a ticket

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I looked up weather and decided to go to cricket today. I know limited number are allowed for this game but after looking at website can see no information how to buy a ticket. As usual site plastered with information as to how to buy tickets for 20/20. I do get fed up with lack of interest by club to push 4 day cricket but you would have thought first game with supporters allowed it would be headlines on site. I did manage to find info about squad for the game but nothing about how to buy a ticket

Match tickets for Northants were on sale until 5PM yesterday. Covid protocol.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

Absolute joke. Just rang club who said unable to buy a ticket for any of the days because they made a decision to stop selling them at 5pm yesterday.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Absolute joke. Just rang club who said unable to buy a ticket for any of the days because they made a decision to stop selling them at 5pm yesterday.

Well that's my plan for the weekend chucked in the bin :rant:

I was on the website yesterday and didn't see any reference to that - I was waiting till today to hear back from somebody.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm totally confused. I didn't even bother checking the website because I thought tickets were for members only - did they offer them on general sale?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
You'd have thought that social distancing for a country championship game shouldn't be the hardest thing to organise.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
May be a tough one this. But it could well be a theme for a couple of seasons now. It's good to see youngsters getting a chance. They'll give their best.

The weather is looking good.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
May be a tough one this. But it could well be a theme for a couple of seasons now. It's good to see youngsters getting a chance. They'll give their best.

The weather is looking good.

As I said on another thread, Carson is class - he'll play for England. I think Crocombe has got something too, although it's a bit early to tell.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
As I said on another thread, Carson is class - he'll play for England. I think Crocombe has got something too, although it's a bit early to tell.

What's the situation with Carson in terms of England/Ireland? Presumably he could play for either.
His player profile on the Sussex website just links to cricinfo, which is just blank.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What's the situation with Carson in terms of England/Ireland? Presumably he could play for either.
His player profile on the Sussex website just links to cricinfo, which is just blank.

And, if he chooses Ireland (which I hope he does for the sake of their development) does it affect his player status given that we are no longer EU ? #headhurts

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
And, if he chooses Ireland (which I hope he does for the sake of their development) does it affect his player status given that we are no longer EU ? #headhurts

My understanding is that he would have to play as an overseas player, in the same way as (definitely Irish) Tim Murtagh had to retire from internationals to keep his Middlesex contract.

I'm not sure that's related to the EU situation though, even under the Kolpak rules players couldn't turn out for their country and a county at the same time.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
That may be the worst LBW decision I have ever seen. This is the best still I could capture.

cricket.png

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That may be the worst LBW decision I have ever seen. This is the best still I could capture.

View attachment 137126

Not seen it. Certainly offering a shot outside off stump, although I guess it depends on which part of the pad it hits. Part of him is still in line.

EDIT: Apparently not offering a shot.

Last edited:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Not seen it. Certainly offering a shot outside off stump, although I guess it depends on which part of the pad it hits. Part of him is still in line.

It hits the outside of his back leg

cricket3.png

cricket2.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here