Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Marcus Rashford abuse on social media.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Just how do you deal with this relentless abuse ? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57263805

Broadly speaking.....

1) Ignore it, sticks and stones innit?
2) Come off social media completely, let your football do your talking?

For football players like Rashford that pursue a public image wider than just football, he will have to accept that by entering political territory he is choosing to expose himself to more abuse.

This board is not immune to abuse football related or otherwise, and it’s moderated. Trying to moderate social media GLOBALLY is a fools errand. Rashford should take succour from being able to run down to the cash point to check his balance in his new lambo or whatever...........that got to make him feel better.

Multi millionaires whining about how bad their life is will never be a good look, regardless of how fashionable it is these days.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
first one can come off the platform, though you shouldnt have to. second the platforms ban every transgressor, reporting the worse to police, and other authorities in case such as teacher.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
In Rashford’s case he’s actually a multi-millionaire who spends his time ‘moaning’ and then actually ****ing doing something trying to put right the systemic failures of governments and political systems and shareholders that let children go hungry and foodbank use proliferate by 3900% in a decade. Brain dead racist *****.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
In Rashford’s case he’s actually a multi-millionaire who spends his time ‘moaning’ and then actually ****ing doing something trying to put right the systemic failures of governments and political systems and shareholders that let children go hungry and foodbank use proliferate by 3900% in a decade. Brain dead racist *****.

This.

It's one thing saying they don't think someone's played as well as they would expect them to for their SuperLeague team. That's just being a Man Utd fan.

It a whole different ballpark posting monkey pictures and deciding it's to do with the player's skin colour (conveniently ignoring all the other players with similar skin colours who they think have done quite well).

Rashford spot-on to call this out. The social media networks hide behind "kick it out" messages, but then continually let this crap go on.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It looks like a significant amount of the abuse comes from abroad. I don't know if the maths teacher he refers to is British.

Given that social media has no borders I'm not sure what can be done beyond our own jurisdiction.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Broadly speaking.....

For football players like Rashford that pursue a public image wider than just football, he will have to accept that by entering political territory he is choosing to expose himself to more abuse.

This board is not immune to abuse football related or otherwise, and it’s moderated. Trying to moderate social media GLOBALLY is a fools errand. Rashford should take succour from being able to run down to the cash point to check his balance in his new lambo or whatever...........that got to make him feel better.

Multi millionaires whining about how bad their life is will never be a good look, regardless of how fashionable it is these days.

That post is pretty much how I would define white privilege from someone who clearly has never had to deal with racist abuse and broadly speaking has absolutely no clue what that experience must be like.

Its not stick and stones, and has f*ck all to do with being in the political arena. It racist abuse, which is a scurge in our society. You clearly don't realise this, and by trivialising it in the way that you have there and saying it's just something he will have to accept because of HIS actions, YOU are well and truly part of the broader problem.

Last edited:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Sadly I cannot see an end to this as the social media companies are not budging on removing anonymity, even if they did the authorities are not resourced to manage the volume and the abuse is sent from all over the globe.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
He said that someone who sent him monkey emojis in a DM is (soon to be was I expect) a Maths teacher. He could see as they have an open profile. Its worrying that someone like that is in charge of teaching children.

I am a little surprised that more celebrities don't employ people to screen these sort of messages to block and delete at source. E.G. I thought there was a setting to only allow people you follow to be able to message you or set up a personal feed for trusted people and let someone run the public profile.

The social media companies need to do more to stop this sort of thing from happening.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
He said that someone who sent him monkey emojis in a DM is (soon to be was I expect) a Maths teacher. He could see as they have an open profile. Its worrying that someone like that is in charge of teaching children.

I am a little surprised that more celebrities don't employ people to screen these sort of messages to block and delete at source. E.G. I thought there was a setting to only allow people you follow to be able to message you or set up a personal feed for trusted people and let someone run the public profile.

The social media companies need to do more to stop this sort of thing from happening.

It may be that said maths teacher is not in the UK. I don't know.

A lot of these racial slurs eminate from abroad. This is not to deny the problem, but highlight that
it is a universal issue and difficult to police.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Broadly speaking.....

Yeah come on Marcus, you play football and try to use your profile for good - suck up the racist abuse, part of the job old son.:facepalm:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yeah come on Marcus, you play football and try to use your profile for good - suck up the racist abuse, part of the job old son.:facepalm:

Yeah bit like women who wear low cut tops or short skirts deserve to be sexually assaulted :dunce:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That post is pretty much how I would define white privilege from someone who clearly has never had to deal with racist abuse and broadly speaking has absolutely no clue what that experience must be like.

Its not stick and stones, and has f*ck all to do with being in the political arena. It racist abuse, which is a scurge in our society. You clearly don't realise this, and by trivialising it in the way that you have there and saying it's just something he will have to accept because of HIS actions, YOU are well and truly part of the broader problem.

Well said.

Sometimes I wonder why I have certain dicks on ignore. Then they post something that gets called out, to remind me :facepalm:

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020

No. Just no.

I do not accept that if you pursue a career in the public eye such as professional football or indeed raising awareness and raising funds for worthwhile causes then you should "just accept" that some people will be hateful and even racist towards you. It on the whole doesn't happen off line and face to face so we should not accept it online behind the faceless protection of a social media account.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Last edited:

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Sadly I cannot see an end to this as the social media companies are not budging on removing anonymity, even if they did the authorities are not resourced to manage the volume and the abuse is sent from all over the globe.

It's funny how copyright breeches on these social media platforms are delt with so rapidly, yet racism and vile abuse often seems to go unpunished.

A cynic might argue that this is because the law holds the platforms to account for breeches of copyright but not for racism.

If the law was amended this would stop.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It's funny how copyright breeches on these social media platforms are delt with so rapidly, yet racism and vile abuse often seems to go unpunished.

A cynic might argue that this is because the law holds the platforms to account for breeches of copyright but not for racism.

If the law was amended this would stop.

Indeed. People say it is impossible to stop. It really isn't. The amount of things the big social media platforms automate and use AI for is incredible. No-one can tell me they can't automatically block someone who posts a racial slur.

Stick up a video of a disney film or premier league footage and it'll be taken down in minutes.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Agree that this is appalling.

But i'm not sure what social media companies can really do.

The only possibility seems to be that they could require some sort of ID proof. But these people already have these accounts set up, I don't see how everyone, including you and I can subsequently be forced to give up our personal details to tech giants in order to post more content. We'll just go off to a start up platform, which doesn't require it. It also raises serious civil liberties issues, certainly in parts of the world with authoritarian governments.

They can of course remove any content and have filters in there looking for specific words, but removal is slow and a bit pointless once the abuse been read by the recipient and the filters are easily circumvented.

I'd be willing to be bet a significant amount of racial abuse is seeded by foreign powers ie Russia, just sowing discontent and stirring in the way they do. (not saying that there are no homegrown racist people rather than bots i'm sure that there are and they are also posting abuse)

I keep hearing a lot that social media companies can do more, but I don't hear many concrete, workable solutions. I'd be very happy to hear them if you have other ideas

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here