Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Welcome to Wrexham

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’d be giddy with excitement if I was a Wrexham fan.

I picked this up from The Socially Distant Sports Bar pod. (A top 3 pod).

The chaps were saying the 'stars' contacted a few clubs, who either said "no" or didn't believe the contact and ignored it.

Apparently Hartlepool fans are beside themselves for missing out.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Brilliant!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Ah Wrexham, just across the border from me when I lived in Cheshire 25 years ago but has remained a complete shithole of a town.

A good friend of mine has a recently retired husband who was a Firefighter with many a tale to tell.

Aside from prising teenage Wrexhamites from their squashed/nicked Cars on a Saturday night he also had the joy of having to extinguish old sofas dragged into the road and then set afire while being subjected to bricks & bottles from the Locals.

More entertaining than Strictly no doubt.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I thought they would be a car crash, I really hope I'm wrong and it's fantastically successful.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Ah Wrexham, just across the border from me when I lived in Cheshire 25 years ago but has remained a complete shithole of a town.

A good friend of mine has a recently retired husband who was a Firefighter with many a tale to tell.

Aside from prising teenage Wrexhamites from their squashed/nicked Cars on a Saturday night he also had the joy of having to extinguish old sofas dragged into the road and then set afire while being subjected to bricks & bottles from the Locals.

More entertaining than Strictly no doubt.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/wales-v-england-poor-v-rich-its-wrexham-vs-chester

Wrexham’s economic situation has improved in the last two decades, but it remains the antithesis of well-heeled Chester. Many Wrexham supporters are happy that it stays like that and are proud of the hard-bitten reputation their town boasts.

Chester has never relied on traditional industries like Wrexham, instead hosting 
a large white-collar workforce mostly involved in financial services. Chester’s 
riverside setting, cathedral, Roman walls, and historic racecourse have long been 
a tourist magnet. The clock on the town hall only has three faces, with the Wales facing side remaining blank because, 
according to the architects, “Chester won’t give Wales the time of day.”

An archaic 
but oft-cited law states that any Cestrian 
[a resident of Chester] may shoot a Welshman with a longbow if he loiters within the walls after sunset – although this law no longer offers legal protection against prosecution for murder. “I’d like to see them try it,” says one Wrexham lad.

“Wrexham boys see themselves and the town as downtrodden by the well-to-do of Chester,” says Jim Green, “but parts of Chester like Blacon or the Lache are as bad as Queens Park in Wrexham.”

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Remember going there in the 70's and getting into a scuffle in the streets around the ground with the home fans and we ended up fighting in some blokes front room.
Quite Bizarre thinking back on it now

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

ads52

Jul 31, 2011
I've been watching this, I'm really liking it, some great characters and it seems that Ryan Reynolds And Rob McElhenney seem to have the club's best interests at heart.. look forward to seeing more.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I've been watching this, I'm really liking it, some great characters and it seems that Ryan Reynolds And Rob McElhenney seem to have the club's best interests at heart.. look forward to seeing more.

If you've not seen the Sunderland one from two or three years ago, then that's well worth a watch. As good as the Wrexham one is, the Sunderland one showed far more going on behind the scenes and was a brilliant watch.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
This was the FA cup game that according to Ashley Barnes was a good three points

It was shown live on BBC Wales with Welsh commentary. I had the game on TV muted and radio commentary which was a little bit ahead. That was good for the penalties as I knew we had scored before I could see them taken.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
If you've not seen the Sunderland one from two or three years ago, then that's well worth a watch. As good as the Wrexham one is, the Sunderland one showed far more going on behind the scenes and was a brilliant watch.

I've watched both and I prefer Welcome to Wrexham. The Sunderland series was interesting, but I never ending up caring at all about them.

In contrast I have taken a shine to Wrexham and found myself looking out for their results and wanting them to succeed. Rob and Ryan come across and likeable and genuine. It shines a light on the stark financial realities professional footballers contend with at that level and it's given the supporters hope after 20 years of disappointment.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Also been enjoying this.

It's different to Sunderland Til I Die in a lot of ways. That one was much more about the slow car crash happening behind the scenes (that ridiculous marketing tosspot they had in as CEO or whatever) and the utter calamity on the pitch.

Welcome To Wrexham, in those first two episodes at least, heavily features the weirdness of two Hollywood megastars rucking up in a small Welsh town. I do hope the footballing side of it gets some more exposure in upcoming episodes.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Also been enjoying this.

It's different to Sunderland Til I Die in a lot of ways. That one was much more about the slow car crash happening behind the scenes (that ridiculous marketing tosspot they had in as CEO or whatever) and the utter calamity on the pitch.

Welcome To Wrexham, in those first two episodes at least, heavily features the weirdness of two Hollywood megastars rucking up in a small Welsh town. I do hope the footballing side of it gets some more exposure in upcoming episodes.

They are polar opposites in a lot of ways.

The central players in Sunderland til I Die were mostly unsympathetic. The general vibe was "misery-fest". There was also a prevailing sentiment of "we're Sunderland, therefore we deserve to be in the Premier League".

The central players in Welcome to Wrexham are likable. The tone is one of hope and optimism (this might tail off by the end of the series). The supporters are happy and excited about where the journey could take them.

The bizarre clash of worlds dimension makes it all the more fascinating.

I can relate more to the Wrexham fans given our history which could be another one of the reasons I prefer it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here