Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What is the MINIMUM expectation for England / Southgate at the EUROS?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Reach the Round of 16?
Group winners?
Quarter finalists?
Semi finalists?
Finalists?

And if we fail to achieve the minimum expectation, will Southgate go or is he secure in the job for the next WC regardless?

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Get out of the group and beat the Sweaties would be the absolute minimum but I have far higher expectations than that. The problem with the knockout phase is that you only need one bad game and the Premier League is ****ing draining - and then we're shite at penalties. However, with our talent we should be able to even overcome that.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Nil points, as none of the other Euro countries will never rate us.

You are talking about Eurovision, right ???

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Based on ability, should be semi final minimum.

But there’s a lot of baggage with England as always, plus from a vague glance we have a tough half of the draw if we win our group.

So quarters should be reasonable. Not getting out the group would be inexcusable with this squad.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Get out of the group and beat the Sweaties would be the absolute minimum but I have far higher expectations than that. The problem with the knockout phase is that you only need one bad game and the Premier League is ****ing draining - and then we're shite at penalties.

I've edited my OP to include this. But you're right - that would be the absolute minimum and if we failed to progress from there, surely they'd be questions about if Southgate is the right person to continue managing the England team.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
QFs for me, anything extra is a bonus.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Win the group and it's a match at Wembley against the runner up of the France / Germany / Portugal / Hungary group. Winner gets a QF in Rome.

Finish 2nd and it's a trip to Copenhagen to face the runner up of Spain / Sweden / Poland / Slovakia. Winner gets a QF in St Petersburg.

End up 3rd and it's a 2nd round game in Seville, Glasgow or Budapest against the likes of Belgium, Spain or the Netherlands.

So it would be an advantage to have a home game for the Round of 16, but the prospective opponents there look stronger than for the group runner-up.

With both Semi-Finals and Final taking place at Wembley, it would be a hugely missed opportunity to go out before getting that home advantage.

It's got to be the Semis at least for England.

Barring elimination before the QF stage, I'd expect Southgate to stay on for the next 18 months until Qatar in December 2022.

Last edited:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Dont know, dont care, not watching. Save myself from the bitter and utter disapointment that goes along with any kind of excitement or interest in England as they bow out once again in complete and abject failure and disaster.

Unless waistcoat man actually picks BW for the final 26.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Quarter finals

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Dont know, dont care, not watching. Save myself from the bitter and utter disapointment that goes along with any kind of excitement or interest in England as they bow out once again in complete and abject failure and disaster.

Unless waistcoat man actually picks BW for the final 26.

Solid at the Back wants his post back

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Thump Scotland, draw one, lose one and rely on others results to get through to second round, lose on penalties after Maguire sent off for yellow card offence after ten minutes.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
To go out at the group stage, been done before, shouldn’t be impossible again.

Anything less then Southgate has failed.

Press Release from England F.A., 25 May 2021

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Thump Scotland, draw one, lose one and rely on others results to get through to second round, lose on penalties after Maguire sent off for yellow card offence after ten minutes.

Pretty sure that’d be enough to get through with the new best 3rd place etc.

I’m going quarters min and semis a good achievement - thought the WC was excellent with a great bunch of players a lower expectations.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Win the group and it's a match at Wembley against the runner up of the France / Germany / Portugal / Hungary group. Winner gets a QF in Rome.

Finish 2nd and it's a trip to Copenhagen to face the runner up of Spain / Sweden / Poland / Slovakia. Winner gets a QF in St Petersburg.

End up 3rd and it's a 2nd round game in Seville, Glasgow or Budapest against the likes of Belgium, Spain or the Netherlands.

So it would be an advantage to have a home game for the Round of 16, but the prospective opponents there look stronger than for the group runner-up.

With both Semi-Finals and Final taking place at Wembley, it would be a hugely missed opportunity to go out before getting that home advantage.

It's got to be the Semis at least for England.

Barring elimination before the QF stage, I'd expect Southgate to stay on for the next 18 months until Qatar in December 2022.

Think second place in the group behind Croatia is the most likely outcome, so most likely going to meet Poland or Sweden.

Weird situation. If England win their group they are suddenly more likely than not to go out before the QF.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Minimum expectation is they drop White from the squad and I lose interest. No other expectations or interest in England from that point. Very interested in a few other teams, no prizes for guessing which ones (but Brighton players may be involved).

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Euros - semis
World Cup - quarters

That’s about where we should be. Top 8 in the world, top 4 in Europe. No better, no worse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here