Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The final verdict: Did Albion progress in the 2020/21 season?

Did Albion make positive progress this season?

• Yep - we moved forward

Votes: 111 87.4%
  • No - treading water

Votes: 16 12.6%
  • No - we've regressed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Yes. Shored up the defence, key players stepped up and improved, White, Biss, Webster, Veltman, Big Bob, Lamptey and Solly when they were playing.

As long as we keep the spine of the above, can see us building on it for the next few seasons only if recruitment keeps bringing quaity in at the bottom so if the likes of Biss, White and whoever else moves on at the top.

It IS a works in progress. Personally i hate that term and want to see more points and higher position at seasons end, but happy with 41 points and saftey all but secured weeks ago.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It depends how one is judging. If based on points, then we merely matched last season.

However that doesn’t tell the whole story.

I’m one of those who think we’ve made huge strides as a team and a club this season. People used to complain that we couldn’t win away at big teams. Or that we never got “huge results” against the top 4. This season, it genuinely feels like we’ve come of age with this team. We are now a bonafide PL team capable of playing anyone in this league and winning.

We are no longer a cliched bottom half side, we show genuine signs of progression. Our superb defence and GD. The number of winning points we’ve thrown away. Nearly all of our draws were the result of us battering teams but not able to finish them off.

The signs are there for all to see. We are improving. Outplaying most teams we play. Sanchez is the final piece of the backline. And with Solly and Lamptey coming back we will have one of the best backlines in the league IMO. One or two forwards away from being a genuine top 10 team.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yes - I'll be honest and say I had been wavering as results are everything to me, and I just want to win...... Yes, we'd been entertaining most of the season, but at times achieved very little and were just 'nice' to watch.

However, whilst realising I stated this in the other thread, seeing us 'live' vs City completely swayed my view. Everyone looked comfortable on the ball, GP had clearly replicated different situations giving players an 'out' ball if being pressed. The passing was slick with everyone knowing their role in a way I hadn't seen pre-COVID and not appreciated enough on TV.

We are a reasonable PL team, but have the potential to be a good one and I genuinely cannot wait until next season.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yes - I'll be honest and say I had been wavering as results are everything to me, and I just want to win...... Yes, we'd been entertaining most of the season, but at times achieved very little and were just 'nice' to watch.

However, whilst realising I stated this in the other thread, seeing us 'live' vs City completely swayed my view. Everyone looked comfortable on the ball, GP had clearly replicated different situations giving players an 'out' ball if being pressed. The passing was slick with everyone knowing their role in a way I hadn't seen pre-COVID and not appreciated enough on TV.

We are a reasonable PL team, but have the potential to be a good one and I genuinely cannot wait until next season.

Yeah, I can't argue with any of this.

Sitting slumped on the sofa at 8pm on a Saturday after a few beers and watching a game where the camera follows the ball and the commentator keeps saying things like "this Brighton side are certainly good to watch but they'll be in trouble if they keep missing chances like that" probably doesn't put me in the best of moods.

Seeing us against City was an eye opener.

However, I cannot wait for next season only on the basis that all the improvement in areas other than results will finally translate into a league table and points improvement. 40 points and 16th again next season and you really can question what the point is of the gains in other areas. Next season is our fifth in this league - not sure the same season again will be interesting to a packed Amex.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
How do you choose to measure progress ? Points tally? League position? Quality of football? Off the field improvements?

Well, in terms of results we have hardly improved in the four years of Premiership football.in 2017/18 we finished 15th with 40 points. Despite all we have done we gained one point and dropped one place. We are bumping along the bottom suffering the sadness of defeat too often. I have been really down about it during the season, each new beginning turned sour again.

However, in a calmer state now we note that if one looked only at the second half of the season, or from year end onwards, we would be comfortably mid table ! So perhaps we have improved. Certainly some of the performances have been excellent.
All we have to do is to carry on where we left off and keep it going. ........

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Yes we have, imho. The football has been very enjoyable, better than last year and with a fair wind, better Refs, taking our chances, it would have been a lot better. Let's be honest, we are where we are due to budget, without checking, not sure we spend much money this year, Veltman, Moder, Karbownik, Caicedo, maybe 10 million, which we got for Knockheart, so we need to take view that we have improved without spending money, which is a big plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'll give the same answer as I gave on the other thread. This season has been about treading water and sorting out stuff behind the scenes (and the league position and performance ultimately reflects this).

I see us as being in a cycling sprint race where currently we're taking it slow up on the banking, and next season I expect us to make a dart up the inside and fly round.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Yes we've progressed, but so has the average standard required, we're comfortably treading water in a rising tide with an undercurrent.

I know we've said this the last three seasons, but if the clubs vision and statement is to be realised we need to step up a rung next season. lets hope TB has a few deals up his sleeve, as well as a hefty wad.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Average age of the squad the year we were promoted 29.6 - Average age this season 25.5

That's a huge difference while we maintain our position in the division and start to build a squad with the ability to move up the table. Time will tell how good this squad can be but it is in a position to improve. Apparently only Villa have a lower average age than us.

This feels me at least with hope that this is the beginning of an era and we are on our way to producing a young dynamic team who play quality attractive and winning football. Oh and the oldest? Crystal Palace who else...

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

I had the exact same experience watching us against City.
The standard was hugely improved from the last live game I saw.
It is no longer "pissing about at the back" there is a plan that is being executed excellently time and time again.
Sure it will go wrong at some point, but it looks a lot less likely to now.

Those posters who have been saying that Potter has been lucky not to have fans watching this season may be right, but the team will benefit from having a packed Amex next season.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Those posters who have been saying that Potter has been lucky not to have fans watching this season may be right, but the team will benefit from having a packed Amex next season.

Thats a good point . . . . having had time to transition in relative privacy must have helped . . . . particularly as Lallana has said, some of the mental stamina required needs improving

A baying mob would not have helped

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Is this debate on this thread any different to the one (ones) which have been going on relentlessly for the last few weeks?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Definitely moved forward. Need much, much more progression next season or the natives will get restless. I reckon 12th is a minimum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here