Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Odsonne Édouard

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Very unlikely. But I suppose they both could have made one up. Seriously doubt it though.

Neither of them would need to, I can assure you of that. And I'm sure they will have thought carefully about what their sources have told them.

Of course, any club may have good reasons for not being fully forthcoming to even the most trusted local reporters. If they are trying to buy a player, they would much prefer everything to be kept quiet. A selling club has very different priorities, so there's that.

But then there's Duncan Castles - mainly known as a mouthpiece for Mourinho's people, so what his Celtic contacts are like is anybody's guess. But I suspect I know who his source would be at the Albion end. And that only makes me trust Naylor and Owen more.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Neither of them would need to, I can assure you of that. And I'm sure they will have thought carefully about what their sources have told them.

Of course, any club may have good reasons for not being fully forthcoming to even the most trusted local reporters. If they are trying to buy a player, they would much prefer everything to be kept quiet. A selling club has very different priorities, so there's that.

But then there's Duncan Castles - mainly known as a mouthpiece for Mourinho's people, so what his Celtic contacts are like is anybody's guess. But I suspect I know who his source would be at the Albion end. And that only makes me trust Naylor and Owen more.

Celtic will want to attract other bids so it makes sense that there’s a leak.

Can I ask....
I get why papers fill the back pages with made up (or very tenuous at the least) rumours. But what is in it for the journalists and papers to go to these kind of lengths? Won’t it just look ridiculous if it turns out to be bollocks?
And if it’s just for sales /hits and the general public forget the lie soon enough, why not write ‘Edouard in sensational 40 million pound Arsenal move. Lacazette moving the other way!’ Etc

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I’ve not thought for one moment that Castles has got any info from the Albion whatsoever. If they are not telling Naylor & Owen about this, even Mrs Bloom, Mrs Barber & Mrs Potter will be in the dark. I trust that Naylor & Owen know nothing, I don’t trust the club leadership to share everything with them, they won’t, especially after missing out on high profile targets like Nunez & Gonzalez once the beans had been spilt with the local press.

It strikes me that Castles is getting ALL his info from Celtic, probably directly from the club’s agents who are looking to start a bidding war.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I’ve not thought for one moment that Castles has got any info from the Albion whatsoever. If they are not telling Naylor & Owen about this, even Mrs Bloom, Mrs Barber & Mrs Potter will be in the dark. I trust that Naylor & Owen know nothing, I don’t trust the club leadership to share everything with them, they won’t, especially after missing out on high profile targets like Nunez & Gonzalez once the beans had been spilt with the local press.

It strikes me that Castles is getting ALL his info from Celtic, probably directly from the club’s agents who are looking to start a bidding war.
The club are not just 'not telling' Naylor and Owen about it - they are flatly denying it.

Of course Naylor and/or Owen could backtrack a bit tomorrow. But if they don't then I'm still reckoning that they know a different mystery striker is close - although they may not know the name.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
The club are not just 'not telling' Naylor and Owen about it - they are flatly denying it.

Of course Naylor and/or Owen could backtrack a bit tomorrow. But if they don't then I'm still reckoning that they know a different mystery striker is close - although they may not know the name.

There is some ‘politicians wiggle room’ for everyone to save face. Eg Naylor/Owen could write ‘the club said there was no truth in it when it was reported a bid had been made over X weeks ago, when in fact the signing took weeks/months/years of negotiation before a deal was finally signed’. That’s the optimistic view anyway (for those of us who think he’d be a good signing).

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Sounds about right. I didn't say that Castles had got anything from the Albion, but a known associate of his likes to pass himself off as an Albion insider, on the strength of having done a (very) little media work for Tony Bloom.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Celtic will want to attract other bids so it makes sense that there’s a leak.

Can I ask....
I get why papers fill the back pages with made up (or very tenuous at the least) rumours. But what is in it for the journalists and papers to go to these kind of lengths? Won’t it just look ridiculous if it turns out to be bollocks?
And if it’s just for sales /hits and the general public forget the lie soon enough, why not write ‘Edouard in sensational 40 million pound Arsenal move. Lacazette moving the other way!’ Etc

For the journalist in question here, he needs to try to stay relevant until his mate Mourinho is back in English football. If it gets clicks, that is all that matters these days. People will forget a transfer rumour that doesn't happen, because at this time of year there will be another one along very soon. But it's still probably better to make it sound realistic, and all those details add to the sense of authenticity - and, of course, have the advantage of being, in all probability, unverifiable. Really ridiculous Sunday Sport-style stories DO get remembered ...

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
For the journalist in question here, he needs to try to stay relevant until his mate Mourinho is back in English football. If it gets clicks, that is all that matters these days. People will forget a transfer rumour that doesn't happen, because at this time of year there will be another one along very soon. But it's still probably better to make it sound realistic, and all those details add to the sense of authenticity - and, of course, have the advantage of being, in all probability, unverifiable. Really ridiculous Sunday Sport-style stories DO get remembered ...

Thanks! They must be unpleasant fellows IRL.

Odsonne Édouard Ate My Hamster

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Don’t know what to think but gut says still Naylor and Owen must be right and the rest is all agent talk. But ****ing hell I really do hope we are in for him - I think he’d be brilliant. Let’s hope Naylor or Owen backtrack soon.
Zamora that’s all I’m saying about Naylor he hasn’t a scooby. Tim Vickery broke the Moses signing not the local hacks. I’m convinced they cover themselves saying no to potential signings easier to back track than be wrong.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
There is some ‘politicians wiggle room’ for everyone to save face. Eg Naylor/Owen could write ‘the club said there was no truth in it when it was reported a bid had been made over X weeks ago, when in fact the signing took weeks/months/years of negotiation before a deal was finally signed’. That’s the optimistic view anyway (for those of us who think he’d be a good signing).
The trouble is that just means going forward that every time they say a transfer isn't happening then there is no credibility in what they say.

Previously there have been caveats - "things could change" etc. This time the denial is cut and dried.

If there is some speedy backtracking then that will be significant. If not then their sources are either correct or untrustworthy.

Last edited:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
The article is about the big clubs...

It’s about all clubs across Europe. I was talking about the Premier League and the big clubs in particular. Clubs in France and Spain etc are very different anyway as they have a genuine financial crisis, not just caused by the pandemic. Come back to me in 5 weeks and see how much Premier League clubs in general and the big clubs in particular have all all spent.

It’s far too early to write that piece, it’s a really dull and strangely timed article without any real point. You do get a lot of rubbish written in The Athletic just to fill space but I’m surprised at Tom Worville as he’s usually pretty good.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We need Owen or Naylor to come out and say something today. Both been tagged in all the stories etc but no response… Either smuggly sitting there knowing they’re right or frantically trying to call their BHA contacts. You never know BHA contact may say look we’re in for him but we don’t want you mentioning him anywhere…

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
We need Owen or Naylor to come out and say something today. Both been tagged in all the stories etc but no response… Either smuggly sitting there knowing they’re right or frantically trying to call their BHA contacts. You never know BHA contact may say look we’re in for him but we don’t want you mentioning him anywhere…

They are probably both sick of repeating themselves and won’t bother saying anything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here