Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Odsonne Édouard

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Well that couldn't have gone any better:

1. Celtic out of Europe so need the cash.
2. His performance was lacklustre so Celtic will be less inclined to take the piss with the fee
3. Supporters want him gone.

This reminds me of Duffy's last week at Blackburn - a couple of own goals and a red card, he left in ignominy and became a star at the Albion.

It does have the same rhyme about it.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
And if we think he can't or won't cut it .......................... do we go with not buying a striker at all, or buy a striker - any striker - anyway?

We save our money and dont buy anyone until we find a player that feels like its worth the risk, but unfortunately all players within our budget are going to come with some level of risk.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I'm not sure why people are moaning that 20m is too much for 10 goals a season. Nonsense! That's well worth it. And if he got that he could be sold for the same or more in a few years.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Seems like a good gamble for this fellas. Potter may well get a better tune out of him.

If he can take half chances he cutie be a perfect fit.

We know that we can't afford premier League proven so this may be our best bet.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If he signs I'm looking forward to the absolute slating our recruitment team will get from NSC if he turns out to be Locadia 2.

Lol. :facepalm:

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
I'm not sure why people are moaning that 20m is too much for 10 goals a season. Nonsense! That's well worth it. And if he got that he could be sold for the same or more in a few years.

He’s FREE in 11 months.

We should offer them connolly on loan to bring the price down a couple million.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mugstud

Jan 28, 2012
He’s FREE in 11 months.

We should offer them connolly on loan to bring the price down a couple million.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with that is there will be way more clubs interested in taking him on a free and they'll be able to offer him more than we can in wages too. If Brighton want him I have a feeling it's now or never.

I don't think £20m is crazy considering we spent £20m on a CB who was unproven at the top level in Webster

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He scored 17 goals in 14 games for the French U21s. Was the golden boy and
golden boot at the U17 Euros. He’s got 7 goals in the Europa League including against AC Milan, got two assists when they beat Lazio unexpectedly. 6 goals in Champions League qualifiers and has played in the Champions League (at 19).
I’d take that for 20 million.
That’s less than Brewster cost for goodness sake.

Spot on. If we’re genuinely in for him (and even if we’re not) our analysts and recruitment team will have been watching him for YEARS, will have watched every minute he’s played and won’t be basing a decision on a couple of lacklustre performances when he likely knows he’s leaving. Is he potentially worth similar to what we paid for Webster and Maupay ? All things being equal, 10-12 goals would mean a resounding yes……..

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I am not disagreeing with your point, but I think Leicester were also interested in Jahanbakhsh just prior to us landing him.

Spot on. Leicester, in my view, are the current model in terms of recruitment. It used to be Southampton, but we don't seem too far behind Leicester at present. They were in for Ali J, which just goes to show that everything doesn't work out.
FWIW, this thread has at last become more interesting because [MENTION=16122]Lurker[/MENTION] has initiated a debate. I'm agnostic on Edouard, because I haven't seen enough of him. But in response to the persistent questions of who would you buy instead, I'd state two things. One is that Andone might step up, only the club will know the extent to which he's getting beyond his injury. The other is that Welbeck and Maupay are nowhere near as bad as others claim, and I expect both to get decent returns.
Looking at our squad, it might be worth targeting a wide right forward who has a decent goalscoring return over-and-above a CF.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The problem is that these days for a Premier league striker £2-5m doesnt even get you a punt, it would barely get you 1 leg of a punt. That sort of money gets you a young player who might one day possibly progress into being a first team player, if you're lucky, like we did with Zeqiri. If you want more of a sure thing a decent striker is going to set you back £30/40m or more (unless you get really lucky plucking someone out of a foreign league), and we just dont have the finances to spunk that sort of money on one player. That leaves us in the tricky middle ground of needing a Premier league striker who will have more of a first team impact NOW, rather than the usual 'ones for the future', but we also cant afford the top players. Also add to the conundrum the idea that teams will charge us well over the top for their asset just because we're in the money rich Premier league. Because £20m is a wedge of money to us you'd hope we'd be getting a player who is pretty certain to bring us goals, but unfortunately because of how ludicrous the transfer market is that sort of money still only gets you a player who is in part a risk, like Edouard. So the options then become either we dont buy a striker at all, we buy another Zeqiri in the hope he one day comes good, we blow all the Ben White money on a dead cert of player, or we have to look at players who are within our budget and weigh up whether the risk is worth taking. Realistically its the latter, and so any potential signing will come with this trepidation of whether they can cut it or not. Its an unavoidable situation for us.

The reality is that when you look around at whats being spent these days its difficult to justify that a Premier League ready striker who will guarantee us goals can be bought for £20m. I'd like it if we can get ''better than Odsonne for that sort of dosh'' but its a very tricky game trying to unearth that player.

I see it like this as well.

West Ham and Newcastle have both spent £35m+ on dud strikers in the last couple of years, so even huge money carries no guarantees.

Ultimately the answer to this conundrum must come from the academy, but if we keep on missing as many chances as last year we'll eventually go down, so we need to take some sort of punt in the meantime and I find it hard to imagine that Edouard will be so bad there will be no resale value at all

Dec 29, 2011

Maupay and Welbeck can already get 10 goals a season each. We can't play all 3, so what you're effectively saying is that you're happy to spend £20m to get a like for like replacement on two players we already have.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Based on last nights performance I'd rather see us give Locadia another go. Edouard looked hopeless and although his body language sucked last night, I think this is one we would do well to swerve. Prefer to dig Peter Ward out of retirement to be honest. Bullett well and truly to be dodged.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Maupay and Welbeck can already get 10 goals a season each. We can't play all 3, so what you're effectively saying is that you're happy to spend £20m to get a like for like replacement on two players we already have.

Odds on Welbeck being fully fit all season? Not to mention Welbeck didn't actually cost any money and is 30 years old now so will need replacing in the near future.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Based on last nights performance I'd rather see us give Locadia another go. Edouard looked hopeless and although his body language sucked last night, I think this is one we would do well to swerve. Prefer to dig Peter Ward out of retirement to be honest. Bullett well and truly to be dodged.

What about his other 256 games?

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Spot on. Leicester, in my view, are the current model in terms of recruitment. It used to be Southampton, but we don't seem too far behind Leicester at present. They were in for Ali J, which just goes to show that everything doesn't work out.
FWIW, this thread has at last become more interesting because [MENTION=16122]Lurker[/MENTION] has initiated a debate. I'm agnostic on Edouard, because I haven't seen enough of him. But in response to the persistent questions of who would you buy instead, I'd state two things. One is that Andone might step up, only the club will know the extent to which he's getting beyond his injury. The other is that Welbeck and Maupay are nowhere near as bad as others claim, and I expect both to get decent returns.
Looking at our squad, it might be worth targeting a wide right forward who has a decent goalscoring return over-and-above a CF.

I think people are forgetting that Potter sent an uninjured Andone out on loan. I think he’s unlikely to the be the messiah.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Odds on Welbeck being fully fit all season? Not to mention Welbeck didn't actually cost any money and is 30 years old now so will need replacing in the near future.

Isn't that what Zeqiri's for? (and Emmerson too).

I'm not too hung up about another striker, I'd like to see Andone given a run but, most of all, I agree with Not Andy Naylor, We need to see more return from our midfielders. Lallana, Mac Allister, Moder, Bissouma, Alzate and Gross contributed just four goals from open play last season - that's nowhere near enough.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
You are probably correct in last night's performance, I didn't see the match. Do you think he did not want to get injured and was going through the motions knowing a move was on the cards? Although I find it strange he was not substituted and he got a yellow card. Either way a bit disappointed he didn't give his all for what may have been his last match for Celtic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here