Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Max Mosley RIP

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
A controversial character who ran F1 for a few years and successfully sued The News Of The World for his colourful sex life, has died at 81.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I looked at this thread and thought "blimey.. this Doctor TV chap was all about healthy living, too - and the poor bugger has karked it far too young!"

I then realised it was a very different person. :facepalm:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
RIP

Far for perfect but was a strong advocate for road safety plus took on Murdoch and won...

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Son of a fascist, an active member of the national union of fascists in the 1950s, an adulterous sadomasochistic who supported safer cars I will not miss him but I suppose those who knew him and were part of his interests might

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Even the snowflakes at the Gruaniad liked his dad

Regards

DF

Yes, times change and mistakes get made, but I think you'll find that any admiration would have been before he formed the BUF. If anything it shows how influential you can be in Britain with aristocratic connections and a lot of dosh - Oswald Mosley was a charismatic toff, and the toffs who ran the newspapers ate it up in the 1920s.

Incidentally PPF, what side would you have been on in the Battle of Cable Street?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Incidentally PPF, what side would you have been on in the Battle of Cable Street?

You're asking someone whose former username -- correct me if I'm wrong -- was "Das Reich"?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, times change and mistakes get made, but I think you'll find that any admiration would have been before he formed the BUF. If anything it shows how influential you can be in Britain with aristocratic connections and a lot of dosh - Oswald Mosley was a charismatic toff, and the toffs who ran the newspapers ate it up in the 1920s.

PPF? *cough* oh....forget it *cough* :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As mentioned on the radio today, it was later reported that the 'nazi theme' was made up by the newspaper he successfully sued. What remains is an interest in bondage and spanking. ???

I don't think he deserves his own obituary thread, but if it's Mosely versus the Mail, I'm a Max man. :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You're asking someone whose former username -- correct me if I'm wrong -- was "Das Reich"?

The post wasn't from Das Reich. It was from the parody account.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I like to think that Mosley wasn’t influential in the big UK picture.

41m population, at peak the BUF reckoned it had 50,000 members (probably exaggerating, propaganda their thing). Mosley, Rothermere and allegedly Edward Windsor.

Whilst the rest of the nation despised them, from toffs such as Churchill to the fantastic collection of opponents at Cable Street. 20,000 opposed 3,000.

Then and now, I don’t think this country warms to violent extremes, of the left or right. Perhaps it’s because it’s a melting pot of immigrants over many centuries? Far right groups an eclectic collection of weirdos and bald, fat football thugs. Easily tracked by the police.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Absent in a pub in the West End

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I like to think that Mosley wasn’t influential in the big UK picture.

41m population, at peak the BUF reckoned it had 50,000 members (probably exaggerating, propaganda their thing). Mosley, Rothermere and allegedly Edward Windsor.

Whilst the rest of the nation despised them, from toffs such as Churchill to the fantastic collection of opponents at Cable Street. 20,000 opposed 3,000.

Then and now, I don’t think this country warms to violent extremes, of the left or right. Perhaps it’s because it’s a melting pot of immigrants over many centuries? Far right groups an eclectic collection of weirdos and bald, fat football thugs. Easily tracked by the police.

In 1936 (ish) Sir Oswald (Max's dad) trundled his armoured vehicle down Tooley Street with his brown pants loons in attendance. My dad, then aged 15, promptly joined the communist party. He was a bit of a character, my dad, but he could spot a **** and his ****ish ways a mile off :lolol: :bowdown:

Anyway, though, that has nothing to do with Max.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In 1936 (ish) Sir Oswald (Max's dad) trundled his armoured vehicle down Tooley Street with his brown pants loons in attendance. My dad, then aged 15, promptly joined the communist party. He was a bit of a character, my dad, but he could spot a **** and his ****ish ways a mile off :lolol: :bowdown:

Anyway, though, that has nothing to do with Max.

I think loads joined the UK Communist Party in the 30’s not necessarily due to a love of all things Stalin, but to oppose twats like Mosley, or to side with Republicans against Franco.

UK fascist parties seemed to contain evil weirdos (we’ve mocked Webster and Tyndall before), an inter war years version was William Joyce.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here