Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Are VPN's worth it?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm sure this topic has come up before but my search function isn't working properly so...

I'm thinking of getting a VPN. Is it worth getting one? Any draw backs? What's a good one to get?

Thanks!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Why do you want one?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
To watch stuff on iplayer, more 4 etc. I'm also thinking it'll be nice to watch the euros in english rather than in japanese.

From my very limited experience - most of the content providers work out the IP blocks of the VPN providers and block them anyway.

Some others may have had more success of course...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Does seem that most of them get blocked by the big media companies these days, they go to huge lengths to deem them not fit for purpose

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Express vpn is decent and should let you watch Iplayer offshore

I use NordVPN as I needed a static uk IP, I dont think many providers offer, or you would need that

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
From my very limited experience - most of the content providers work out the IP blocks of the VPN providers and block them anyway.

Some others may have had more success of course...

Does seem that most of them get blocked by the big media companies these days, they go to huge lengths to deem them not fit for purpose

Thanks guys.

Disappointing to hear but good to know.

Anyone know any that work?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
To watch stuff on iplayer, more 4 etc. I'm also thinking it'll be nice to watch the euros in english rather than in japanese.

I have used a few VPNs, I can’t get any of them to work on BBC iplayer any more, it knows when I’m abroad, well it did until last October, haven’t been abroad since. Annoying.

Edit - maybe I’ve used the wrong ones, I have just googled it and there are plenty of companies saying theirs will work :shrug:

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

I'm in the UK so can't comment on your exact situation, but subscribe to Surfshark VPN for similar things in the opposite direction and it purports to support iPlayer etc. I think it cost about £20 for the year, if that.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Free with Opera :thumbsup:

I have Opera, a Canadian based outfit ?, as a free search engine which also offers free VPN (so what's not to like) . But I also subscribe to Express VPN which, like Nord VPN, many consider to be worthwhile as giving greater security and reliability than other options. I suppose it depends where you are in the world and what it delivers for you !

Covid, IMO, is going to be responsible for many changes to the 'norm'

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Another thumbs up for Express VPN.

Works great for me in being able to access things like BBC iPlayer, use Skype (otherwise not possible from Dubai) and so on.

The couple of times I’ve needed to use their support, they’ve been top notch too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Have had great success with PureVPN and ExpressVPN. Broadcasters and VPN providers are continually playing cat and mouse. When a VPN IP address is eventually detected by a broadcaster, the VPN provider simply assigns a new IP address. Broadcasters also try to detect a devices’ location and sometimes it has been necessary to clear cookies, history etc. before connecting with the VPN.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here