Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The rain and you

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
What is your attitude to rain?

Every Wednesday I sit around outside (same spot every week) drinking a few beers before we go to the pub.

Last week we had our first rainy Wednesday since we began in late March, and one of the friends came out, said "no lets go inside". We had a ten minute heated debate, me and the two others thought that rain is just water and one of those small obstacles in life you should just ignore and live through rather than allow to prevent you from doing stuff.

How do you handle rain? Do you hide inside? Do you use the "plastic-roof-over-your-head" tool (I have a brain freeze and cant remember the English word for it) or do just take it like a (wet) man?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Swansman said:
Do you use the "plastic-roof-over-your-head" tool (I have a brain freeze and cant remember the English word for it)

Umbrella?

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
There's no such thing as bad weather only bad clothing.

I really like being out in all weathers, good and bad - part of life's rich tapestry IMO.

Obviously if it's cold &/or wet and I'm caught out for any long spell with inadequate clothing, it's not much fun, so the above is within reason.

What a horrible way for these poor souls to go: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...launched-after-21-runners-die-in-cold-weather

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm English. My default is "wetter than a haddock's bathing costume". I've gone for long runs in pissing rain (and force 9 gales) and worn shorts, t-shirt and a wind jacket. I've queued for the train home from the Amex in weather that would cause Noah to look skywards and say "are you having a bubble?". I literally walked 2 miles home in the rain yesterday from my mate's local because we wanted to have another pint and watch the extra time of Newport / Forest Green.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I agree with [MENTION=14054]MJsGhost[/MENTION]. I like all weather, and all seasons. It's part of the process of liberating one's self from the burgeoning mysery of discontent.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Every Wednesday I sit around outside (same spot every week) drinking a few beers before we go to the pub.

Last week we had our first rainy Wednesday since we began in late March, and one of the friends came out, said "no lets go inside". We had a ten minute heated debate, me and the two others thought that rain is just water and one of those small obstacles in life you should just ignore and live through rather than allow to prevent you from doing stuff.

How do you handle rain? Do you hide inside? Do you use the "plastic-roof-over-your-head" tool (I have a brain freeze and cant remember the English word for it) or do just take it like a (wet) man?

Hmm. I would go for a run or a hike in the rain, no problem but I wouldn’t deliberately take a leisurely stroll in it. I always carry a brolly in my man-bag during times of inclement weather.

Now, If I’m reading your post correctly, you’re asking would I sit around outside in the rain drinking beer? No, I’m not a tramp.
I can think of very few more depressing things, to be honest.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Skin is waterproof but not watertight.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The rain has been brilliant. Two weeks ago, we were contemplating cancelling our rugby team's matches as the ground was too hard for tackling, it's now beautifully soft. We played our first game (since March 2020!) yesterday and won comfortably and have another one on Sunday.

It can rain as much as it wants as far as I'm concerned (it will also mean Sussex don't lose :) )

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
giphy.gif

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Being English, rain is as part of life as oxygene. Depends tho on the circumstances

Love taking my dog out on the beach in the p1ssing rain and wind. Love isting by the fire in the winter with a warm bevvie and looking out at it.

But hate working in it. Hate driving in it (and the tw@ats that go flying past you who don't care about aquaplaning or anything).

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Hmm. I would go for a run or a hike in the rain, no problem but I wouldn’t deliberately take a leisurely stroll in it. I always carry a brolly in my man-bag during times of inclement weather.

Now, If I’m reading your post correctly, you’re asking would I sit around outside in the rain drinking beer? No, I’m not a tramp.
I can think of very few more depressing things, to be honest.

How is drinking beer in warm spring rain depressing? ???

You should try being a tramp.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Last week we had our first rainy Wednesday since we began in late March, and one of the friends came out, said "no lets go inside". We had a ten minute heated debate, me and the two others

Is this me, myself and I ? :)

How do you handle rain?

I like the rain, if it is particularly heavy I take cover but, still like being outside, especially in a storm, I once stood outside when a tornado hit a lake in Michigan, we managed to get to land and dock and went to a house on the island they owned for hunting and I stood on the deck under the verandah watching the rain beat down on the lake it was epic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here