Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] When we were safe

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So, whilst many were fretting, it turned out we were safe on the 14th March when we beat Southampton 2-1.

The subsequent defeats of Newcastle, Leeds and Man City as well as the draws with Everton, Chelsea and West Ham did nothing to further our survival bid.

Screenshot 2021-05-24 at 09.11.21.png

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yes.

30 points fine for safety. Making a mockery of those on here saying we'd need 40

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
and did nothing to raise us up the table.

'we could still finish 13th'
'7 out of 10 season'

:rolleyes:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]'s point is that it's a funny old game.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Great finish by Newcastle, bearing in mind where they were with 10 games left to play.

I'm sure the fans will all be congratulating Steve Bruce and the owner for their efforts...

:moo:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Funny old game indeed. We ended up with 13 points more than Fulham. Newcastle would have been wetting their pants on 14 March, but they finished 17 points ahead of them. Meanwhile, the ESL collapsed and Liverpool in 8th place on 43 points, ended up in the Champions League instead.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I think this rather nails the idea that some have that there was no Fulham collapse. They took 2 more points from their remaining 9 games.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The fear of Fulham was certainly rife on this board fuelled by a media that was talking up a proper relegation fight before it happened.

Just when they needed kick on, they reverted to relegation form. Their loaned players simply weren’t up to it. That’s pressure.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not weird that people were worried at this stage. Though people shitting themselves when Brighton were 7 or so points ahead with 4 games to go... didnt understand that part.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not weird that people were worried at this stage. Though people shitting themselves when Brighton were 7 or so points ahead with 4 games to go... didnt understand that part.

Oh, it's certainly not weird. If we'd lost to Southampton, we'd have been level on points with Fulham.

I was merely interested to see at what point we had, with the benefit of hindsight, achieved safety. I can certainly recall saying to someone, after the disappointing defeat to Sheffield United, that we were probably already safe at that point - we just didn't know it.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Goal difference is a pretty good indicator of where a team actually are versus their peers. Our GD was always markedly better than our rivals and although our final points total still didn't reflect the GD it was still more than enough in a season where there were three very bad teams...

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
What I don't get is people saying we had to rely on other results to stay up again. That's nonsense! We won more than enough points on merit to stay up.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It reminds me of our first season in the Prem . We weren't actually mathematically safe until that memorable win v Man Utd (Game 36) but as it turned out - points wise we'd been safe since the home win v Arsenal (Game 29).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here