Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Theft from Arundel Castle

autopsyturvey

Feb 24, 2018
How utterly depressing. I remember being properly moved when I saw those beads on display. I hope they can be recovered.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
How on earth would you be able to get in and out of a place like that.undisturbed

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Unfortunately I would bet that its a gang who DO know what they are doing that have broken in.
Arundel castle wont be the sort of place a small bunch of chavs are going to break in to for a laugh imo....

Possibly.......if the stuff has been stolen 'to order' - if not they'll find it very difficult to sell.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Very sad.
Those beads in themselves are beautiful but the fact mary wore them as she was excecuted is incredibly moving for those that gaze upon them.
In a weird way I'm hoping they were stolen to order so they stay in existence but I worry they will be melted down which would be a even bigger crime than the actual burglary itself.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Unfortunately I would bet that its a gang who DO know what they are doing that have broken in.
Arundel castle wont be the sort of place a small bunch of chavs are going to break in to for a laugh imo....

This! Had to have been stolen to order as way too hot to handle in normal criminal circles. Going to a private collection somewhere.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The investigating officer is Molly O'Malley.

I'm sure I've spent an evening or two in a pub named after her.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Man has been arrested at a Traveller site and police are digging up some wasteland……..

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...on-theft-arundel-castle-historical-artefacts/

Police are digging an area of wasteland in search for £1 million worth of historical artefacts stolen from Arundel Castle, as a man has been arrested in connection with the burglary.

The raid in West Sussex in May saw historic treasures stolen, including a set of "irreplaceable" gold rosary beads which Mary Queen of Scots carried to her execution in 1587.

Other items taken in the burglary included coronation cups given by Mary to the Earl Marshal, as well as gold and silver items.

Police announced that a 45-year-old man had been arrested at a travellers' site in Eckington, Worcestershire, on Tuesday morning and remains in custody.

Officers conducted eight warrants at addresses in Worcestershire, Gloucestershire and Oxfordshire.

Six other men were also arrested and are being interviewed by Gloucestershire and West Mercia officers in relation to alleged burglary, assault and drugs offences, all unrelated to the burglary at Arundel Castle, Sussex Police said.

Officers were seen digging at a site in Alverscot, near Carterton in Oxfordshire, which is one of eight locations being searched in connection with the missing pieces.

A Sussex Police spokesman said: “A site at Alverscot, near Carterton in Oxfordshire, is one of the eight sites we are currently searching as part of this operation. None of the items from the Castle burglary have been found there at this stage.”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here