Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings 2020/21 season

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Ryan 5 -- top, top servant and I'll miss the positivity and spiritedness he brought to the club, but his inability to command the penalty area sowed his downfall, and he quite apparently didn't like it...
Sanchez 8 -- ...exceptional, what a star. He dominates his area, and exudes calm. I predict we'll have one more great season out of him and then he'll go to the very top for a record fee
Lamptey 7.5 -- thrilling talent, blistering pace, can't wait to see him again next season
Veltman 8 -- top, top signing. So consistent
White 7.5 -- solid in 2020, has been even better in 2021. Euro 2020 bound?
Webster 7.5 -- was challenging for PotS for a while, hasn't quite hit the heights since his return from injury. Underrated player.
Dunk 8 -- a 7 for 2020, and a 9 for 2021. Two bad reds for different reasons and, ultimately, his lack of pace and on occasion poor decision-making means he doesn't make the Euros. Brilliant at set pieces in their area, ditto in ours
Burn 7 -- another who had a better 2021 than 2020, especially if we start the year on 3 Jan. Gotta love him
March 7.5 -- delighted for him, top pro
Bissouma 9 PotS -- if we see a better player than him playing for us in the PL, all will be fine. The most tackles for any player in the PL. That's the most tackles in the PL. And tackling is by no means all he does.
Gross 7 -- lots of assists, lots of pirouettes, amazing work rate, an even better servant.
Alzate 6 -- a decent return towards the end and a stunning performance against United, but hoping for more from him next season
Mac Allister 6 -- bright vision, great work rate but again hoping for more
Moder 7 -- difficult not to be incredibly excited by him.
Lallana 7 -- so intelligent, love the way he glides. Incredible pro
Jahanbakhsh 5 -- tries hard, not up to it
Trossard 5.75 -- devastating once every game in five or ten, quiet beyond that. Needs to improve his consistency, but has all the talent
Welbeck 7 -- six goals from open play in c25 games is a decent return -- some great ones too. Great work rate and movement> Please re-sign for next season
Maupay 5 -- top scorer with eight (but three were penalties), great energy and work rate, sometimes good passing but usually not, but we could hardly view this season as an improvement. Hopefully he'll get some great support over the close season and remind us of what he can do next season
Connolly 4 -- the biggest disappointment. Needs to stay on his feet and improve his attitude, ideally via a Championship loan
Zeqiri 6 -- in contrast, a cracking attitude and some promise

Propper n/a unfortunately
Tau n/a at 26yo, there have to be serious doubts
In short, the top marks go to Bissouma and the defenders, forwards and attacking players could do better.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That's far too complicated.

I'll give them 5.

hqdefault.jpg

Oh, and I still have hope for Ali J. Call me Norway....

Last edited:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Fair marks OP. I can't better that.

Note how the marks start off high towards the top and then tend to tail off as you get further down. Almost as if our defensive players have been better than our attacking ones.

Maybe you've been a little harsh on Trossard is my only comment

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Hard to argue with any of that really. Pretty well balanced IMO. I desperately hope Lamptey and March are fit for the start of next season. We look so much better with them in the squad.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
tl;dr

Well done for compiling it [MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION] but I don't have the energy left to do the same.

Bissouma is player of the season. No one has lacked in effort but we really need to loan out Connolly so he plays every week and bin off Ali J because he achieves below his xbW (expectation based on wage).

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
4 games minimum.

Goalkeepers
Ryan 3 - despite having one of the worst save percentages in the history of the PL, I'm giving him a 3 since a fair amount of the goals he let in were difficult to do much about. But he was shite this season.
Sanchez 8 - the present and the future. Sure he got things he can improve but he is already a top goalie. Hope he keeps it up, second seasons are sometimes wonky.
Steele 6 - apart from the mistake against Newport (or was it Blackpool?) I think he did well in the cups.

Defenders
White 7 - some rookie mistakes apart, he's been impressive. Started the season as a decent PL defender and is ending it as a good one. Sky is the limit.
Webster 8 - quality defending, quality with the ball, a leader and a class defender.
Dunk 8 - some lesser fantastic spells aside, Dunk has been great. Everything else has been said over the years.
Veltman 7 - done well, close to 8. I'm not as sold as everyone else because he is not that strong in attack, which is required from the RWB, but he is a very good defensive player and hopefully next season he will play more in the CB role.
Lamptey 9 - eleven games, not all of them 90 minutes, involved in seven goals, and also excellent at defending. Looked like the best RWB in the world, not exaggerating.
March 8 - very consistent and was growing more and more into his LWB role with every game.
Burn 7 - got some weaknesses but is a good defender and was instrumental in some memorable wins.
Bernardo 4 - I know some people rate him. I dont. Looked poor even in the cup games.

Midfielders
Bissouma 10/10
Gross 7/10 - if you play 40 games performing 6-8 ratings, you get 7.
Alzate 7/10 - looks a more mature player and had bad luck with Gross/Lallana performing. Will hopefully play more next season.
Lallana 8/10 - class though someone with his level should bag a few goals as well.
Moder 7/10 - looking very promising, cant wait to see him more in his preferred role.
Pröpper 5/10 - didnt play much and when he did he looked Pröpper - some nice stuff, some batshit crazy passes to opposition. Close to a 6 I guess but hard to give a fair rating.
Trossard 6/10 - when he is good he is really good, but it happens far too rarely.
Macallister 6/10 - bit up and down, considering he is seen as an attacking midfielder his production is very weak considering his number of minutes, but does show glimpses of brilliance.
Jahanbaksh 4/10 - he tries and every now and then has a decent game, but is not good enough and at his age he should be at his peak.

Strikers
Maupay 7/10 - lack of goals as we all know but otherwise good, nice link-up play, great work ethic, important in moving opponents around. Gets a lot of shit, but whenever he's been out (apart from the City game), the team has looked a lot worse in attack.
Welbeck 7/10 - October-December a 5, this spring 8. Good player. Hopefully he can stay fit for 25-30 games next season as well.
Connolly 5/10 - season hampered by injuries. Some weak performances, some good ones (like vs NUFC and Burnley), we'll see if he goes on loan or sticks around.
Zeqiri 5/10 - a bit of a fan favorite, but I think he is still far from a steady PL player - weak first touch and average technique. Love his dedication though and think he could turn into a good PL striker.
Tau 5/10 - didnt play much but when he did it was very hit and miss. Looked fine vs City but his substitute appearance against Leeds was horrible. Meh in the cup games.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I do believe there's a player in Percy Tau.

That perfectly timed and weighted through ball for Welbeck in the West Ham game showed us what we should be expecting from our players in the final third but have been getting all too rarely.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
4 games minimum.

Goalkeepers
Ryan 3 - despite having one of the worst save percentages in the history of the PL, I'm giving him a 3 since a fair amount of the goals he let in were difficult to do much about. But he was shite this season.
Sanchez 8 - the present and the future. Sure he got things he can improve but he is already a top goalie. Hope he keeps it up, second seasons are sometimes wonky.
Steele 6 - apart from the mistake against Newport (or was it Blackpool?) I think he did well in the cups.

Defenders
White 7 - some rookie mistakes apart, he's been impressive. Started the season as a decent PL defender and is ending it as a good one. Sky is the limit.
Webster 8 - quality defending, quality with the ball, a leader and a class defender.
Dunk 8 - some lesser fantastic spells aside, Dunk has been great. Everything else has been said over the years.
Veltman 7 - done well, close to 8. I'm not as sold as everyone else because he is not that strong in attack, which is required from the RWB, but he is a very good defensive player and hopefully next season he will play more in the CB role.
Lamptey 9 - eleven games, not all of them 90 minutes, involved in seven goals, and also excellent at defending. Looked like the best RWB in the world, not exaggerating.
March 8 - very consistent and was growing more and more into his LWB role with every game.
Burn 7 - got some weaknesses but is a good defender and was instrumental in some memorable wins.
Bernardo 4 - I know some people rate him. I dont. Looked poor even in the cup games.

Midfielders
Bissouma 10/10
Gross 7/10 - if you play 40 games performing 6-8 ratings, you get 7.
Alzate 7/10 - looks a more mature player and had bad luck with Gross/Lallana performing. Will hopefully play more next season.
Lallana 8/10 - class though someone with his level should bag a few goals as well.
Moder 7/10 - looking very promising, cant wait to see him more in his preferred role.
Pröpper 5/10 - didnt play much and when he did he looked Pröpper - some nice stuff, some batshit crazy passes to opposition. Close to a 6 I guess but hard to give a fair rating.
Trossard 6/10 - when he is good he is really good, but it happens far too rarely.
Macallister 6/10 - bit up and down, considering he is seen as an attacking midfielder his production is very weak considering his number of minutes, but does show glimpses of brilliance.
Jahanbaksh 4/10 - he tries and every now and then has a decent game, but is not good enough and at his age he should be at his peak.

Strikers
Maupay 7/10 - lack of goals as we all know but otherwise good, nice link-up play, great work ethic, important in moving opponents around. Gets a lot of shit, but whenever he's been out (apart from the City game), the team has looked a lot worse in attack.
Welbeck 7/10 - October-December a 5, this spring 8. Good player. Hopefully he can stay fit for 25-30 games next season as well.
Connolly 5/10 - season hampered by injuries. Some weak performances, some good ones (like vs NUFC and Burnley), we'll see if he goes on loan or sticks around.
Zeqiri 5/10 - a bit of a fan favorite, but I think he is still far from a steady PL player - weak first touch and average technique. Love his dedication though and think he could turn into a good PL striker.
Tau 5/10 - didnt play much but when he did it was very hit and miss. Looked fine vs City but his substitute appearance against Leeds was horrible. Meh in the cup games.

I don’t disagree too much, but you cannot rate Veltman & Maupay equally.

Veltman behind Bissouma has been our best player this season.

Maupay unfortunately has missed penalties, chances and then lost the plot at Wolves.

His best moments were out wide putting in a few decent crosses, but his goals return is poor, bearing in mind how much we dominated many games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here