Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Domestic Abuse vs Drink Driving

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Both serious offences, clearly whilst his case is still ongoing Ryan Giggs's entry to the EPL Hall of Fame has been withdrawn, but regardless of the verdict will he eventually be admitted?

I ask because recent inductee Steven Gerrard has a drink driving conviction, so clearly he's been forgiven, will Giggsy?

And didn't Cantona famously have a conviction for violence at Selhurst Park?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It shouldnt matter. Its what they did on the pitch that should count.

That said, there are very few circumstances (maybe some brain disease or something) that could excuse domestic violence while there are occasions when drink driving could be seen as a minor crime. Dont know anything about the specifics in these two cases.

Ultimately however I think the PL Hall of Fame should focus on football only. There's plenty of ***** on the dirty sidewalk in Hollywood and in the Rock N Roll HoF and so on and I think it should remain that way... not everything can be about moral.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I find Hall of Fames as tedious as the Ballon D'or. Awards and baubles decided by votes and committies are always a bit of a yawn, IMO.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Now... I like domestic abuse, and I like drink driving. But which is better? There's only one way to find out!

FIIIIIIIIIGHT!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Both serious offences, clearly whilst his case is still ongoing Ryan Giggs's entry to the EPL Hall of Fame has been withdrawn, but regardless of the verdict will he eventually be admitted?

I ask because recent inductee Steven Gerrard has a drink driving conviction, so clearly he's been forgiven, will Giggsy?

I guess at the end of the day the severity of the sentence might be taken into account? If the conviction can eventually become a spent conviction or not? Or maybe whether or not a custodial sentence is handed out?

As for Cantona, the only thing he did wrong was to not kick him hard enough! (Seriously, I know Cantona was given a long ban, but was there a criminal prosecution?)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

What on earth has EC's superbe kung-fu kick have to do with Domestic Abuse vs Drink Driving? Time for a little senior nap maybe? :lol:

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Giggs was still employed as a pundit and enjoyed favourable press coverage even after it emerged he was doing the dirty with his brother's missus, which felt like double standards, when less photogenic footballers were pilloried for similar crimes.
Footballers are slags, and a Hall of Fame sounds like dreary American Bollocks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Giggs was still employed as a pundit and enjoyed favourable press coverage even after it emerged he was doing the dirty with his brother's missus, which felt like double standards, when less photogenic footballers were pilloried for similar crimes.
Footballers are slags, and a Hall of Fame sounds like dreary American Bollocks

We'll just put you down as a 'maybe' then, ok?

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
It's all about timing - both Cantona and Gerrrards indescrations were some years ago. Giggs is currently going through the court process. Giving him a place in the Hall of Fame, would attract a significant aount of publicity, mainly negative.

Rightly or wrongly, public perception is often the most important factor in these things.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Giggs allegedly has history for this .

I'd be more forgiving if someone made a mistake with drink driving than i would them whacking a women.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Stupid thread.

Potentially dangerous thread, trivialising domestic violence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here