Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What would your 26 man Euro squad be?

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Genuinely intrigued..

Remember it's not what you think Southgate will do, it's what you would do.

1. Pope
2. Henderson
3. Pickford
4. Maguire
5.Stones
6.Dunk
7.Godfrey
8.Walker
9.Alexander-Arnold
10. James
11. Chilwell
12. Shaw
13. Rice
14. Henderson
15. Bellingham
16. Willock
17. Mount
18. Grealish
19. Lingard
20. Foden
21.Sterling
22.Rashford
23. Sancho
24. Kane
25. Calvert-Lewin
26. Greenwood

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sanchez
Moder
Trossard

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
GK: Pope, Henderson, Woodman

Defenders: Cash, Trippier, Dunk, Webster, White, Stones, Maguire, Shaw, Chilwell

Central mf: Phillips, Mount, Henderson, Lallana, Bellingham

AMC/wingers: Rashford, Grealish, Sancho, Foden, Sterling, Lingard

Strikers: Kane, Vardy (convince him!), Calvert-Lewin

Southgate wont feel the same way.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Goalkeepers;
Pope, Henderson, Pickford (3)

Defenders;
Trent A-A, James, Walker, Maguire, Stones, Dunk, Coady, Chilwell, Shaw (9)

Midfielders;
Rice, Ward-Prowse, Mount, Henderson (Phillips if not fit), Bellingham, Foden, Grealish, Maddinson (8)

Forwards;
Kane, Calvert-Lewin, Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood, Ings (6)

The disparity in quality across certain positions is concerning. Our midfield options aren't excellent and there's absolutely no place for Raheem Sterling who has had a terrible season in an extraordinary team.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Goalkeepers;
Pope, Henderson, Pickford (3)

Defenders;
Trent A-A, James, Walker, Maguire, Stones, Dunk, Coady, Chilwell, Shaw (9)

Midfielders;
Rice, Ward-Prowse, Mount, Henderson (Phillips if not fit), Bellingham, Foden, Grealish, Maddinson (8)

Forwards;
Kane, Calvert-Lewin, Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood, Ings (6)

The disparity in quality across certain positions is concerning. Our midfield options aren't excellent and there's absolutely no place for Raheem Sterling who has had a terrible season in an extraordinary team.

Hmm, Maddison is a good call I forgot about.

Looking nice and bit more Southgaty than my squad. Can only really object to TAA, think (and even worse than the case with Sterling) he has been completely **** all season both in attack and defense.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'm assuming Maguire will probably be injured.

Here is my 26:

1. Pope
2. Henderson
3. Pickford
4. White
5. Stones
6. Dunk
7. Coady
8. Walker
9. Alexander-Arnold
10. James
11. Chilwell
12. Shaw
13. Rice
14. Henderson
15. Bellingham
16. Saka
17. Mount
18. Grealish
19. Phillips
20. Foden
21. Sterling
22. Rashford
23. Sancho
24. Kane
25. Calvert-Lewin
26. Greenwood

And starting 11:

—————————Pope—————————
Trent A.A—-Stones——Dunk———-Shaw
—————Rice————Henderson———-
Sterling————-Foden—————Grealish
————————-Kane——————————

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Hmm, Maddison is a good call I forgot about.

Looking nice and bit more Southgaty than my squad. Can only really object to TAA, think (and even worse than the case with Sterling) he has been completely **** all season both in attack and defense.

To be honest, my defence for TAA is that out of nowhere he can put a ball on Kane's head. Reece James is a good crosser of a ball, but 90th minute who do you trust? TAA literally put one on a goalkeepers head for a winner. I would back TAA over any other fullback in the world to deliver. But we also have Ward-Prowse for set pieces, so that diminishes his need.

Maddison's fitness is his only real problem for me. I think he can sit in a midfield three with Mount and Rice and put it in defensively and going forward with a front three of Sancho, Rashford and Kane.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
GK's (3): Pickford, Pope, Henderson;

DEF's (10): Alexander-Arnold, James, Walker, Maguire, Stones, Dunk, White, Webster, Chilwell, Shaw;

MIDS (7): Rice, Henderson, Mount, Bellingham, Grealish, Foden, Saka;

ATTS (6): Kane, Calvert-Lewin, Sancho, Sterling, Rashford, Greenwood.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
To be honest, my defence for TAA is that out of nowhere he can put a ball on Kane's head. Reece James is a good crosser of a ball, but 90th minute who do you trust? TAA literally put one on a goalkeepers head for a winner. I would back TAA over any other fullback in the world to deliver. But we also have Ward-Prowse for set pieces, so that diminishes his need.

Maddison's fitness is his only real problem for me. I think he can sit in a midfield three with Mount and Rice and put it in defensively and going forward with a front three of Sancho, Rashford and Kane.

Sure - no denying that TAA got very unique skill in his crosses. Still not sure I'd bring him though.

The midfield question is interesting and the big question mark for England. Two options really: do you play two defensive minded players in order to win the ball more often and hence perhaps get more opportunities to attack, or do you play a more attack minded (like your option) midfield where you might struggle to win the ball, but each attack would likely have more quality? Difficult choice for Southgate. What England would need in order to eat the cake and have it to is some of the two-way midfielders (Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard, even Carrick) you were great at producing, Philips is a bit like that I guess, but a poor mans version.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
A few changes to the original line up from me:

Vardy has to be there for me - last chance and also so bloody quick and annoying for defences
Philips (Leeds) has had a brilliant season
Wan Bissaka for pace
James Maddison because he always causes defences problems
White - I would honestly pick him over a Maguire for example

1. Pope
2. Henderson
3. Pickford
4. White
5.Stones
6.Dunk
7.Wan Bissaka
8.Walker
9.Alexander-Arnold
10. James
11. Chilwell
12. Shaw
13. Rice
14. Henderson
15. Phillips
16. Maddison
17. Mount
18. Grealish
19. Lingard
20. Foden
21.Sterling
22.Rashford
23. Sancho
24. Kane
25. Vardy
26. Greenwood

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Maddison’s form has been really poor since he came back from injury. There are many other creative midfielders (like Foden, Lingard & Mount) to take so we don’t need unless his form improves massively.

Same goes for Grealish - limited time to get back to his best.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Sure - no denying that TAA got very unique skill in his crosses. Still not sure I'd bring him though.

The midfield question is interesting and the big question mark for England. Two options really: do you play two defensive minded players in order to win the ball more often and hence perhaps get more opportunities to attack, or do you play a more attack minded (like your option) midfield where you might struggle to win the ball, but each attack would likely have more quality? Difficult choice for Southgate. What England would need in order to eat the cake and have it to is some of the two-way midfielders (Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard, even Carrick) you were great at producing, Philips is a bit like that I guess, but a poor mans version.

Personally, I think we should be looking to highlight our strengths rather than limiting our weaknesses. That isn't the type of manager Southgate is though. I think we should sack him off, bring back Keegan and play a Guardiola 4-3-3 with Mount and Grealish/Maddison alongside Rice in the midfield three. We have a quality goalkeeper in Pope, decent defence in front of him - we'll allow chances to be created against us but our front three are good enough against any team in the world to score goals.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
GK: Pope, Henderson, Woodman

Defenders: Cash, Trippier, Dunk, Webster, White, Stones, Maguire, Shaw, Chilwell

Central mf: Phillips, Mount, Henderson, Lallana, Bellingham

AMC/wingers: Rashford, Grealish, Sancho, Foden, Sterling, Lingard

Strikers: Kane, Vardy (convince him!), Calvert-Lewin

Southgate wont feel the same way.

Woodman gone to PNE for £1m today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here