Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football Writers' Association Football of the Year: Ruben Dias

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
He has also won the "Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms' most anonymous player in the most recent Brighton victory" award. I'm sure you'll all join me in congratulating Ruben on this achievement.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Did you vote [MENTION=10202]Not Andy Naylor[/MENTION]?

Yes. I've voted for the winner most years because there has been one obvious candidate (and I thought Henderson was that last season, whatever anyone else says), but there didn't seem to be an outstanding performer this season.

Although there isn't a shortlist, I detected a groundswell in favour of Dias from talking to other writers, but I voted for Marcus Rashford, admittedly for non-football reasons. I had to grit my teeth to write the name of a Manchester United player, but what he has done to show what footballers are capable of transcends my dislike of his club.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Dias shored up City's defence, improving those around him (John Stones, for example), which led to City cruising to the title. They're also favourites for the Champions League. I think he's a worthy winner.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
To be fair, he's had a great season. Wasn't anywhere near their worst player the other night.

Take a bow, Bernardo Silva.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I haven't watched a lot of Citeh games but also didn't think he was all that.

Who else could win it? I can't think of one 'outstanding' player.

As long as it wasn't Grealish I don't care.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Its a great player but still a surprising choice.

In the past there's been some winners who didnt even kick a ball, you'd imagine that in the vacuum of a true great on the pitch this season, it would go to someone doing spectacular stuff off it.. like Rashford.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
In fairness to Dias he has sorted out City's defence which has always been their weakness, a succession of utterly shocking centre backs. Given that he has helped Stones become a decent player at last his achievements are worthy of recognition. Not sure City win the title without him.

Also refreshing to see a player not in one of the 'glamour positions' get the award too.

That said seeing Trossard put him flat on his arse was simply a delight.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Good on the ball, great awareness, strong, great mentality, and seems to be a leader. What more do you want in a centre half? It's about time a defender won it too.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Well City have been the best team, by a mile. The POTS was bound to come from them. There have been no players from other teams who have scored an abnormally high number of goals or done anything especially notable.

City have won the title on the back of their defence.

They used to concede lots of goals, but since Dias came in they haven't

City's attacking players have been rotated a lot and all have been good, but none exceptional. The think the only other viable candidate was Gundogan. Foden at a stretch. He'll be the young player.

The award clearly isn't given out for acts of political activism.

The players of the season must be Ruben Dias

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patreon
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
As the" Football" of the year I am surprised he won it. I would have thought others like Adidas and Wilson would have won. I'll get my coat........

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Well City have been the best team, by a mile. The POTS was bound to come from them. There have been no players from other teams who have scored an abnormally high number of goals or done anything especially notable.

City have won the title on the back of their defence.

They used to concede lots of goals, but since Dias came in they haven't

City's attacking players have been rotated a lot and all have been good, but none exceptional. The think the only other viable candidate was Gundogan. Foden at a stretch. He'll be the young

The award clearly isn't given out for acts of political activism.

The players of the season must be Ruben Dias

Cancelo (sp) possibly the other vital cog for Citeh this year
Look what happened when he was sent off
Even # teams like Brighton can sneak a win

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here