Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] David Stockdale podcast - Football, the Albion and Me

Zamoracomehome

Apr 12, 2010
Hove
David Stockdale is the final player interview for series three of Football, the Albion and Me.

The promotion winning goalkeeper discusses that incredible season, being in awe of his team-mates with England, his love of current club Wycombe, and clears up why he left the Albion.

Thank you for all your support throughout the series - it is currently 50/50 as to whether it will return for next season - but we will do our best.

Listen and please share on Twitter.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Can anyone summarise why he did leave please? My hearing isn't what it used to be which makes podcasts quite hard for me. Thanks

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Can anyone summarise why he did leave please? My hearing isn't what it used to be which makes podcasts quite hard for me. Thanks

Basically, he had a frank and open conversation with the club, he was offered a 1 year deal to stay and everything was right except the contract length. Birmingham had offered 3 years and it was too good to turn down. Sounds like he'd have liked to have stayed but needed the security of the extra 2 years.

In his view, it was nothing but amicable. The club were clear that Ryan was coming in and that he'd have a chance to compete but the 1 year offer was too risky for him and his family.

I have to say by the way, another great interview. I thought Stockdale came across as a really genuine and likeable fella which allies itself completely with my view of him whilst he was here. Some interesting conversation about his fitness too, as well as his time with the Albion.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Really lovely bloke, and I too won't say a bad word about him.
[MENTION=16281]Zamoracomehome[/MENTION] please continue! It's the very best Albion podcast going IMO.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
A good guy and a family man, he was also immense in the promotion season, the double save against Forrestieri's penalty is one of my all time Amex great memories.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Basically, he had a frank and open conversation with the club, he was offered a 1 year deal to stay and everything was right except the contract length. Birmingham had offered 3 years and it was too good to turn down. Sounds like he'd have liked to have stayed but needed the security of the extra 2 years.

In his view, it was nothing but amicable. The club were clear that Ryan was coming in and that he'd have a chance to compete but the 1 year offer was too risky for him and his family.

I have to say by the way, another great interview. I thought Stockdale came across as a really genuine and likeable fella which allies itself completely with my view of him whilst he was here. Some interesting conversation about his fitness too, as well as his time with the Albion.

Cheers, appreciated.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
He did a lot of good after the Shoreham air show disaster, on the pitch played a big part in a season we will all never forget. Top lad.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
great to hear that Stockdale has yet again confirmed what we all knew, that he is just a very lovely bloke. That season in the championship he was magnificent for us.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London

As anyone with a brain in their head assumed at the time. A perfectly fair decision from a genuine family man.

And one that I would suggest partly explains why he is not a Premier League goalkeeper, with that kind of attitude.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
David Stockdale is the final player interview for series three of Football, the Albion and Me.

The promotion winning goalkeeper discusses that incredible season, being in awe of his team-mates with England, his love of current club Wycombe, and clears up why he left the Albion.

Thank you for all your support throughout the series - it is currently 50/50 as to whether it will return for next season - but we will do our best.

Listen and please share on Twitter.

I can imagine making the podcasts is a major time commitment but just so you know they are enjoyed by many many seagulls fans.
When I was going through a hard time in my life recently, I looked forward to them and they cheered me up a lot.
So hopefully you’ll be back!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Finally got around to listening to this – really good chat. He comes across as a really nice bloke and his honesty and enthusiasm for the clubs he's been at is quite refreshing.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Just a decent human being and when he played for us a good goalkeeper.

I'm sorry he never stayed for a couple more years to experience the PL journey, as he played a significant part in us getting there.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Seems like a great guy. Pilloried by a load of spotty teenagers on Twitter, ring-led by the We are Brighton guys at the time which was a shame.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here