Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Best Game All Season says BBC

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
5 Live football commentator Ali Bruce Ball was at the match last night and he called it "the best game he's seen all season"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000wf8h (44 mins in)

For fans - obviously . I'd say it even pushes aside Liverpool (A) . But for neutrals. ? It did have the comeback, the return of fans, great goals from Foden and Trossard, Dan Burn, the niggle between Potter and Pep, the various VAR talking points, the sending off and a big surprise result for the Champions - 10 days out from a Champions League final. So quite a match ? But game of the season ? ?
Any others - Liverpool - Villa ?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Last night was way more enjoyable than the Liverpool game was. The last half hour of that was as close to torture as I ever want to get.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Last night was way more enjoyable than the Liverpool game was. The last half hour of that was as close to torture as I ever want to get.

I thought we were remarkably comfortable, apart from the penalty shout which I had a strange zen like calm about. ... but I get that all the late points we've conceded there's a big chance of groundhog day

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Best all-round game for the neutrals - very possibly. Great goals, controversy, bust ups, underdog coming from 2 behind to win and a wholly partisan crowd up for it for obvious reasons. Can see why he said that.

5 Live football commentator Ali Bruce Ball was at the match last night and he called it "the best game he's seen all season"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000wf8h (44 mins in)

For fans - obviously . I'd say it even pushes aside Liverpool (A) . But for neutrals. ? It did have the comeback, the return of fans, great goals from Foden and Trossard, Dan Burn, the niggle between Potter and Pep, the various VAR talking points, the sending off and a big surprise result for the Champions - 10 days out from a Champions League final. So quite a match ? But game of the season ? ?
Any others - Liverpool - Villa ?

But he didn't say it was the best game all season, only the best game he had seen. Perhaps he had been watching Palace the rest of the season.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Leeds early season games against Liverpool and Fulham were very entertaining.

However, it really needs fans present to be "proper football" in my eyes. This has certainly been the best game with fans present, albeit there are not many to choose from. I think the presence of fans also influenced a couple of the reffing decisions and the sideline handbags.

As a Brighton fan it was easily my favourite game - knocks stuffing Newcastle on the telly into a cocked hat.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

However, it really needs fans present to be "proper football" in my eyes. This has certainly been the best game with fans present, albeit there are not many to choose from. I think the presence of fans also influenced a couple of the reffing decisions and the sideline handbags.

As a Brighton fan it was easily my favourite game - knocks stuffing Newcastle on the telly into a cocked hat.

This - It was 'made' by having fans there............wouldn't have been anything like the same without.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

How does it fit in the pantheon of games you've seen? For me, it may well be the most enjoyable game I've seen at the Amex. I can't really compare it with games 10, 20, 30 or 40 years* ago as I saw the world through different eyes back then.

Edit, er, also 50+ years ago. FFS. I'm 63 today. Rock and roll!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
How does it fit in the pantheon of games you've seen? For me, it may well be the most enjoyable game I've seen at the Amex. I can't really compare it with games 10, 20, 30 or 40 years* ago as I saw the world through different eyes back then.

The Palace win with 10 men and Sheffield Wednesday also with 10 men with the Stockdale save my personal highlights at the Amex.

Doncaster was great, but not that great a game, a special ending though.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

I did think that in neutral analysis. There was a decision the ref made, can't remember what it was, where I felt we wouldn't have got it had the fans not been present. I think we may see a little more of this in the final knockings as refs learn to adjust to supporters being back. They're only human. Not to take anything away from a great night though. Albion were worth the win.

Saturday, and we may see the reverse in action. Although Arsenal is such a library the ref may not feel so pressured...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The Palace win with 10 men and Sheffield Wednesday also with 10 men with the Stockdale save my personal highlights at the Amex.

Yeah, that ^^

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
But he didn't say it was the best game all season, only the best game he had seen. Perhaps he had been watching Palace the rest of the season.

yes. correct . i should have made that clear. Although he does get to see a lot of games...

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Happy Birthday!

It was mine yesterday (53) - Definitely the best birthday present I could have received,

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Happy Birthday, HWT.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

And the Leeds 4-0 at halftime game.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Odd how they failed to mention the game at all on Football daily yesterday.............

I guess how that prog is edited and turned round so quickly and because yesterday was a busy day football wise (Hodgson, Champ League spaces and Harry Kane) which FD did cover.
Also Talk Sport had the commentary rights to Man City / Albion not 5 Live. Guardian Football Weekly had a nice bit devoted to it. Barry Glendenning waxing lyrical over Trossard's goal and why he preferred it to Fodens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here