Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] An alternative to bouncing Bozza's STUPID "Catching them" thread

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Let's not even discuss catching that lot unless they lose tonight. If they do, please can nobody bounce it? :annoyed:

But that aside, there is something else at stake now. Top South Coast Team.

When was the last time we finished above ALL of Southampton, Portsmouth and Bournemouth? I don't think I've seen it in my time supporting this club. Southampton were top dogs all through the '80s and '90s, although Portsmouth fleetingly joined them. We were finding our feet at Withdean in the '00s and although in our final season there in 2010 we finished above Southampton and Bournemouth and won the league 1 title, Portsmouth were still above us in the Championship. But that move to the Amex has obviously heralded a change in this club and we are now a regional force more or less on a par with Southampton - same standard of football, size of stadium, attendances, and similar infrastructure behind the scenes. And of course position in the table.

If we can better Southampton's result this weekend, we will be the best club in the region. Some will disagree, but for me this is as good as finishing above the Nìgels. Please let it happen.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Let's not even discuss catching that lot unless they lose tonight. If they do, please can nobody bounce it? :annoyed:

When was the last time we finished above ALL of Southampton, Portsmouth and Bournemouth? I don't think I've seen it in my time supporting this club. Southampton were top dogs all through the '80s and '90s, although Portsmouth fleetingly joined them. We were finding our feet at Withdean in the '00s and although in our final season there in 2010 we finished above Southampton and Bournemouth and won the league 1 title, Portsmouth were still above us in the Championship. But that move to the Amex has obviously heralded a change in this club and we are now a regional force more or less on a par with Southampton - same standard of football, size of stadium, attendances, and similar infrastructure behind the scenes. And of course position in the table.

If we can better Southampton's result this weekend, we will be the best club in the region. Some will disagree, but for me this is as good as finishing above the Nig31s. Please let it happen.

Agree it’s as important . Also to finish above 15th would be good to beat our current spells best .

Re saints , finished above them couple seasons ago didn’t we ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Agree it’s as important . Also to finish above 15th would be good to beat our current spells best .

Re saints , finished above them couple seasons ago didn’t we ?
Yes, but Bournemouth finished above both of us - I meant to put that in my opening post.. :down:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

If we can better Southampton's result this weekend, we will be the best club in the region. Some will disagree, but for me this is as good as finishing above the Nìgels. Please let it happen.

I'll disagree. Strongly. However, i'd still very much like it to happen.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'll disagree. Strongly. However, i'd still very much like it to happen.
As much as I consider Palace our main rivals, I've never been one for subscribing to the view that this means we have absolutely no other rivalry with any other team. We are, after all, defined as one of the four south coast clubs (I'm excluding Devon).

In this instance I obviously hope we finish above both of them, but given the choice - well it's a tough one for me.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Never in my recollection have we been above all 3. I'm going back to the 1960s. Before that Portsmouth were perpetually above us, so I'm guessing never.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I’m indifferent about Southampton and Bournemouth and no amount of Sky promotion of ‘south coast derbys’ will change that. Honestly couldn’t tell you if or when we have finished above or below them in the past. As long as we are above Palace and Portsmouth that’ll do me.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
As much as I consider Palace our main rivals, I've never been one for subscribing to the view that this means we have absolutely no other rivalry with any other team. We are, after all, defined as one of the four south coast clubs (I'm excluding Devon).

In this instance I obviously hope we finish above both of them, but given the choice - well it's a tough one for me.

Well, agree, but the median Brighton fan feeling to Soton could probably be described as "disdain". With Palace, it's "loathing".

A vast gulf (and about 10 other clubs) in the disliking other teams league table between Soton and Palace.

Not to say, I wouldn't enjoy finishing above them

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Well, agree, but the median Brighton fan feeling to Soton could probably be described as "disdain". With Palace, it's "loathing".

A vast gulf (and about 10 other clubs) in the disliking other teams league table between Soton and Palace.

Not to say, I wouldn't enjoy finishing above them
It's not just about finishing above Southampton though. It's about Southampton, plucky tin pot cheating Bournemouth, and the scummy two bob cheating Skate #twats.

Not much love lost with any of them (although I have never minded Southampton personally)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Never in my recollection have we been above all 3. I'm going back to the 1960s. Before that Portsmouth were perpetually above us, so I'm guessing never.

I remember reading a similar thing from a Bournemouth perspective on an article on their noddy forum several years ago. They look at us in the same way as we look at them (a genuine dislike, and a bit of a grudge match), but their average fan looks at Portsmouth as our average fan looks at Southampton - and vice versa.

The thing is, since reading that article, they've finished top TWICE. We haven't. It needs to change.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yes, but Bournemouth finished above both of us - I meant to put that in my opening post.. :down:

The days of PLB Lord Mayoring it over us have to be consigned to history forever.

I'm kind of with you on your OP too. Might have been growing up with South Today on one side and Fred Dinage on the other but we always seemed to be last on the highlights. Ten minutes of Dineage or that other bloke foaming at the cock over Stains and the Skate and then "and Brighton beat Hull 1-0 at the Goldstone".

I'd probably bring Meridian Tonight back for a special next week if we do it, with us on FIRST.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

According to Google it is 01:45 in Arizona, so it will be a while until we know.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I’m indifferent about Southampton and Bournemouth and no amount of Sky promotion of ‘south coast derbys’ will change that. Honestly couldn’t tell you if or when we have finished above or below them in the past. As long as we are above Palace and Portsmouth that’ll do me.

Well said that man

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Southampton offer something genuinely aspirational to want to beat for achievement IMHO, whereas Palace are just spawny ***** who've outstayed their welcome

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The days of PLB Lord Mayoring it over us have to be consigned to history forever.

I'm kind of with you on your OP too. Might have been growing up with South Today on one side and Fred Dinage on the other but we always seemed to be last on the highlights. Ten minutes of Dineage or that other bloke foaming at the cock over Stains and the Skate and then "and Brighton beat Hull 1-0 at the Goldstone".

I'd probably bring Meridian Tonight back for a special next week if we do it, with us on FIRST.

Yes, but wasn't it Meridian who had that 'Leaving Goldstone' special, with Geoff Beardyman and Bill Archer with his eyepatch? That was worth the license fee alone...

:wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here