Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Grubbs

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
After such a high last night, I'm absolutely gutted to find out this morning that 3 of the 4 Grubbs Burgers in the city are closing. An absolute institution in the city.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
That’s awful, really sad.

In a time where the likes of Uber Eat, Deliveroo and Just Eat have been smashing it, I’m assuming poor business choices meant they didn’t ride those particular waves out of the pandemic as other take-away joints did?

Out of interest, which one will remain?

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

In a time where the likes of Uber Eat, Deliveroo and Just Eat have been smashing it, I’m assuming poor business choices meant they didn’t ride those particular waves out of the pandemic as other take-away joints did?

According to the Argus the Western Road one.

There's an article in the argus here https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/19311199.brighton-burger-chain-grubbs-reveals-reason-downsizing/

Such a shame.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

The problem is those apps can take up to half the ‘cost’ of a meal off a restaurant.

So £12 burger / chips / drink - restaurant may only get £6 back

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
He deserves some retirement after last year, poor sod.

. 40 years of top post club snackage is sterling work in anyone's book.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
He deserves some retirement after last year, poor sod.

. 40 years of top post club snackage is sterling work in anyone's book.

This. Such a sad quote from the owner

"I'm 70, my wife passed last year in the pandemic and I have had the virus - I have had enough."

We've been truly blessed in this town to have had both Grubbs and Uncle Sams all these years :bowdown: :bowdown:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The problem is those apps can take up to half the ‘cost’ of a meal off a restaurant.

So £12 burger / chips / drink - restaurant may only get £6 back

That’s so true but it’s more a case of if you can’t beat them, join them. Especially with so few people out and about in the past year or so.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its a shame owner hasnt found someone to take up the reins. it may have been on the cards anyway.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
More and more burger joints are opening. Unsurprising. But yes sad. I've had wonderful times in there .... whilst hammered out of my brain. Hope Western Road stays open.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
My mate, the filthy animal, would buy two Grubbs burgers after a night out. One to inhale on the bus and then one to pop in the microwave the following morning.

Thats hard core . . I suppose we were blessed to have 2 greasy spoons withing 200m of the flat back in those heady 90's days. . . walk from club to grubbs, eat/walk to @'Ove to get a cheaper cab to Shoreham.

the cafe next to the Duke used do do steak and eggs on a Sunday morning!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
While sitting home in your pants ordering deliveroo can feel like the future, it’s the death of small take-away places like Grubbs.

Grubbs has gone off the last few years though. Used to be part of a Friday night for us.

Good Companions
Hobgoblin
Kaps, Pav Tav, Hungry Years/ or that one near Old Steyne
Cheeky Chicken / Grubbs / Marky D.
Home
Hangover

You don’t know they’re the good times when you’re living them.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This. Such a sad quote from the owner

"I'm 70, my wife passed last year in the pandemic and I have had the virus - I have had enough."

We've been truly blessed in this town to have had both Grubbs and Uncle Sams all these years :bowdown: :bowdown:

Au, that is very sad .

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Grubbs/Uncle Sams were shining beacons in Brighton before burgers became the in thing. Unfortunately they're a bit blown out of the water now by the sheer volume of high end burger joints so not a surprise that they're struggling especially with the introduction of Deliveroo etc

I was always: Double Malaysian, Small fries, Large Strawberry Milkshake

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Definitely going to make a trip to Grubbs and enjoy a burger soon.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It seems the owner had just had enough. Fair play. There are plenty of decent, high end hipster burger pop ups in Brighton. And they serve good, well made fare with great ingredients and locally sourced, organic , cured meat. They concoct their own sauces and condiments and seasoning and take great pride over their “craft”. But good luck finding one of those beardy ***** out of bed and open for business at 2:30 am when the Pav Tav had kicked out, you’re staircased on snake-bite and black with an inexplicable urge for a blue-cheese burger when you should just go home and make some toast :)

Mind you, kids don’t seem interested in boozy nights out these days. They all seem to want to stay in and revise and hang out with their parents.
You have to head up North to find people up for a good night these days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here